Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This heatwave

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I treat myself to a can or two every now and then, and it has to be ice ice cold, Speccy Brew in my opinion is the king of Lager it's just got a serious image problem.

Agree it is the king of lager with Tennants Super a close second, 1 can of this = 3 cans of fosters.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Agree it is the king of lager with Tennants Super a close second, 1 can of this = 3 cans of fosters.

In my experience, more than two Speccy Brew will give you that automatic feeling that your wife is taking the piss out of you. Top it up to three, and she's sneering at you. You know, the way she does.
After the forth can,you don't give a **** anymore,and just sit there agreeing with her,and giggling uncontrollably like an unmedicated psychopath.
Somewhere around this point,she storms off in a huff,packs a case,and ****s off to her mother's.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They were everywhere. 17 people were eaten by ladybirds that summer.

ladybird plague 1976.jpg

I remember them covering cars. Yellow ones in particular. This is when cars were made in proper primary colours and yellow ones were fairly common.

yellow car.jpg

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
That is a great car, why is it appearing on Australia's channel 9 though?
Remember the water tanks in the street and not being allowed to fill up the paddling pool. :(

Last edited:

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
People are dying, yes it's a great laugh. :wozza:

People keep dying in the UK because of the weather. It appreaches 30 and people die, and yet here in Cyprus it's always over 30 for at least two months and sometimes approaches 40 and people don't die of it, even poor people in the villages with no aircon.

It drops to a few degrees below zero and "thousands of pensioners" die of cold, and yet in Moscow, it stays below zero for at least three months on the tror every year and people don't.

A few years ago I travelled from Heathrow to Prague via Rome. There was a bit of snow in the UK so Heathrow was shut for days, in Prague the snow was heavy, and as it normally does, settled for months, there was an inquiry because the airport was shut for an hour.

WHen did Britain become such a wussy country?

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Yeah this.

UK homes are designed to keep heat in. Walls are padded with insulation.

Insulation keeps heat out as well as in. You can, for example, keep hot coffee, or cold ice cream equally well in a thermos flask. My house here in Cyprus has single concrete walls. As a result, the house is boiling hot in summer and freezing cold in winter, the house would be cooler in summer if it WAS insulated. As for aircon, lots of houses here don't have it, I have it but rarely use it because of the huge electricity prices here. People go out and buy things called FANS. I believe they are available in the UK.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
It has, in 1976.
Three months ( unbroken ) of weather like this...the whole of June...the whole of July....and the whole of August.
Now thats what I call a decent spell of weather.
And broke after the government appointed a minister for drought:smile:

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Apparently we were invaded by ladybirds that year. Too young to remember, was only three.

I remember, we were, they bit as well, because there were so many of them they needed the salt. I remember there being advice not to wear red or yellow clothes because they were attracted to those colours. The beach huts used all have different coloured doors back then and I can remember walking along the sea front in hove and all the red and yellow ones were covered in ladybirds and the others were fairly free of them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That is a great car, why is it appearing on Australia's channel 9 though?
Remember the water tanks in the street and not being allowed to fill up the paddling pool. :(

Perhaps Australia's Channel 9 were doing a feature on ladybird invasion in the UK in 1976 and were showing a yellow Austin Allegro as that car won a poll of ladybirds for - 'the car they'd most like to settle on' :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here