Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This "Fans not customers" rubbish

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I am a fan and a supporter, customers choose which brand they purchase and usually look to save money or a better service for the same outlay by pitching competitors against each other to achieve.

I am a customer of Tesco but if I am able to save money by shopping this weekend at Sainsbury's for equal or better quality then I would without any regret or second thought. People who watch football at the Amex and 75% fans/supporters and 25% fans/customers. Given the choice between watching Palace v Man Utd the same day as Brighton v Yeovil then I would never even consider the former. That is the distinction between football supporters and customers.

ym-credit-rating-c_1006023c.jpg

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What a pathetic comment. Most people would take that sentence in the context it was meant, ie that any suspension would almost certainly have had the blessing of the man who actually owns the club unless PB is looking for his own dismissal. Ignoring the almost certain fact that TB authorised the suspension is like standing on a railway track in the face of an express train and your solution is to stick your fingers in your ear and shout ding a ling a ling out very loud. But of course, you didn't. :facepalm:

you might like to read posts no 45 and 48

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Semantics. We all know what he meant. As for the possibility that PB suspended GP without consulting the Chairman and biggest shareholder, it's a joke. Y

You're wasting your breath (metaphorically).

I don't know you tell me you are the one who said "Tony Bloom got rid of Poyet" you are the one trying to give the impression that you are in the know
let me say just this you are one of the very sad list of those that love to give that impression that you know something when in actual fact you know diddly squat just like the rest of us who would love to know whats happening but must wait until the club suddenly and mystically become transparent.
I respect Tony Bloom for what he has done and how far he has taken this club along with a good manager who got us to 4th last season 2 wins instead of 2 draws and we would have made it to the premiership.
anything else is guff
don't bother to answer as you are now on my ever lengthening ignore list

Thank you Drew!

Glasfryn, you sir have just proved yourself an idiot.

You have a very loud voice, but actually nothing at all to say, and when you are questioned on your flippant posts, you will not back them up, because you cannot back them up.

In short, a joke.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Thank you Drew!

Glasfryn, you sir have just proved yourself an idiot.

You have a very loud voice, but actually nothing at all to say, and when you are questioned on your flippant posts, you will not back them up, because you cannot back them up.

In short, a joke.

what part of "got rid of" means suspension or vice versa
you said got rid of no mention in that sentence of suspension
there now I have backed it up its in text in your post explain what you mean
did you mean by saying "got rid of" suspension if you meant that then why did you not say that instead of got rid of which to me means exactly that
Poyet is still the manager of Brighton and Hove Albion suspended yes but not yet "got rid of"

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I am fully aware of how business works. But in most businesses, in fact I'd say any business where the chairman has taken over a business worth next to nothing, and spent £120m on it over the course of five or six years, I'd say he would have far more power than a chairman of a large Limited company or PLC! There is no way on this planet, Poyet would have been suspended without Tony Blooms approval.

Ha ha ha!

You're so touchy. Suggests to me you didn't know how a business ran.

Anyhow, I was supporting you!

Reading "We Want Falmer" (you should try it - it's a story about how fans rescued their club and secured a home for it), I'd suggest that Tony Bloom comes across as a bloke who wants control of the club, but very much doesn't want to be involved in the day to day execution.

Of course, dismissing the manager is likely to have a material affect on the club, so no doubt Mr Bloom was involved. I did mention material affect in my post, but this must have passed you by. That's strange, when you consider how much of a strong grasp you have on of how a business works.

Tee hee :)

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I don't know you tell me you are the one who said "Tony Bloom got rid of Poyet" you are the one trying to give the impression that you are in the know
let me say just this you are one of the very sad list of those that love to give that impression that you know something when in actual fact you know diddly squat just like the rest of us who would love to know whats happening but must wait until the club suddenly and mystically become transparent.
I respect Tony Bloom for what he has done and how far he has taken this club along with a good manager who got us to 4th last season 2 wins instead of 2 draws and we would have made it to the premiership.
anything else is guff
don't bother to answer as you are now on my ever lengthening ignore list

Very true, the difference is, 95% of us are prepared to wait untill the club tell us what has occured.
You and your sidekick Mustafa, and a few others that make up the other 5% seem to believe you have a divine right to know now.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If you look on the Paul Barber interview thread I just started, he talks about this comment again.

thanks for that WJ I have read most of it and will go back and have another look later

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Very true, the difference is, 95% of us are prepared to wait untill the club tell us what has occured.
You and your sidekick Mustafa, and a few others that make up the other 5% seem to believe you have a divine right to know now.

yes,yes I am willing to wait
but when someone write Gus has been "got rid of" you might start to think he actually knows something

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have made it well known of my views on the said individual...we were losing money hand over fist on the footballing day to day side of the business, he has been brought in to slash and burn and to renegotiate, ie a hatchet man, and in a year or so's time, when we are back on an even keel, he will be off to do the same somewhere else...that is what hatchet men do. In business we have all come across them at some time in our lives, they may not be pleasant , but that is the nature of their job...I am not sure I could do it, but there you go.

Dave the Fan
Summed up in one great post.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think "Fans not customers" is rubbish at all. At the Amex we've got 30,000 customers. Which probably translates into about 15,000 fans. The essential difference is the "customers" will suddenly find something else to do with their time when a down-turn in the club's fortunes comes, which it inevitably will, hopefully many years from now. Whereas the 'fans' won't.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
what part of "got rid of" means suspension or vice versa
you said got rid of no mention in that sentence of suspension
there now I have backed it up its in text in your post explain what you mean
did you mean by saying "got rid of" suspension if you meant that then why did you not say that instead of got rid of which to me means exactly that
Poyet is still the manager of Brighton and Hove Albion suspended yes but not yet "got rid of"
Christ you won't let it go will you. I've explained the comment to you over and over, others have said they completly saw the point I was making, but you are making a mug out of yourself by going on and on and on about a point everyone else gets, and peoplehave explain to you over and over.

It's clear you are doing it, because do not want to discuss the issue of your comments, because you are making comments that you will not/ can not follow up on.

You are one of NSC's worst.

I can't be bothered to try and have a discussion with someone who is clearly trolling.

You can't even follow through on threats to add me to your ignore list.

Please Please do. I'd love to be on it.

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Ha ha ha!

You're so touchy. Suggests to me you didn't know how a business ran.

Anyhow, I was supporting you!

Reading "We Want Falmer" (you should try it - it's a story about how fans rescued their club and secured a home for it), I'd suggest that Tony Bloom comes across as a bloke who wants control of the club, but very much doesn't want to be involved in the day to day execution.

Of course, dismissing the manager is likely to have a material affect on the club, so no doubt Mr Bloom was involved. I did mention material affect in my post, but this must have passed you by. That's strange, when you consider how much of a strong grasp you have on of how a business works.

Tee hee :)
I know it sounded touchy, I read it back a few minutes later and though that, but it didn't mean to be. I know you was supporting me, and I do actually run a business ha ha ha, so have some idea how things work, although not the Albions scale..... I wish!

My whole point was, there was no way that Poyet was suspended without Blooms blessing, as some of our slower posters where doubting.

I also fully aware of how the fans rescued our club. I may have signed up on here last month, but I've been an Albion fan since I was ickle boy, although probably only a customer when I starting paying for my own ticket:):)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Christ you won't let it go will you. I've explained the comment to you over and over, others have said they completly saw the point I was making, but you are making a mug out of yourself by going on and on and on about a point everyone else gets, and peoplehave explain to you over and over.

It's clear you are doing it, because do not want to discuss the issue of your comments, because you are making comments that you will not/ can not follow up on.

You are one of NSC's worst.

I can't be bothered to try and have a discussion with someone who is clearly trolling.

You can't even follow through on threats to add me to your ignore list.

Please Please do. I'd love to be on it.

You've got glasfryn all wrong. He isn't like that at all.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I know it sounded touchy, I read it back a few minutes later and though that, but it didn't mean to be. I know you was supporting me, and I do actually run a business ha ha ha, so have some idea how things work, although not the Albions scale..... I wish!

My whole point was, there was no way that Poyet was suspended without Blooms blessing, as some of our slower posters where doubting.

I also fully aware of how the fans rescued our club. I may have signed up on here last month, but I've been an Albion fan since I was ickle boy, although probably only a customer when I starting paying for my own ticket:):)

No worries at all.

As Barber says in his interview - Tony and the board are fully briefed on the processes.

supergeorge

Sep 7, 2009
the OP works for the club, it's written in a statement form, like a newsletter - and only 20 odd posts.

they have ppl plugged into here to see what the general feel is on club policies (sorry, business policy changes).

it's getting a little plastic everywhere......but football is a product that is sold - it was always going to go this way......but the relationship between fans (customers) and club (business delivering a product) will get distant......the club becomes like tv set, instead of being able to smell the grass as your own lawn.

Just to clarify, and blow your theory out of the water, I do not work for the club. You seem to have missed the first few lines where I mention that it was an article I wrote for amexnorthstand.com a while a go hence the format. I got pissed off with all the fans not customers stuff again and copied my article on here. You can read it, any a few other pieces i have written on there as well if you like.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
105 posts about an expression that it seems was never actually used. NSC at it's finest.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
To me, the word fan implies a certain bond and respect, whilst a customer is someone you're just happy to fleece for as much money as you can.

I'm sure Barber seems like a great man to those of you out there who are more interested in the amount of legroom, the view, the food than anything else. Personally all I want to do is have a few drinks with some mates and then go and watch a football match. I don't particularly care what league it's in, and in this day and age I'd probably be happier spending less money to do so in League 2.

Sadly for me, the club has now morphed in just about every conceivabe way into the kind of corporate monster I spent years being delighted not to support.

supergeorge

Sep 7, 2009
load of old tosh mate , i'm a fan never a customer , PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME FEEL EVER SO SLIGHTLY UNCOMFORTABLE :annoyed:
regards
DR

Sorry to break it to you, but regardless of what you think you are a fan AND a customer. Dress it up whichever way you want, as soon as you buy a ticket, a pie, a pint, a programme etc you are a customer as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here