Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This Dishonesty About No Longer Wanting To Go To Football Due To VAR

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But in your heart Brighton born and bred - that’s kind of what I meant. It’s not challenging allegiance in my opinion, one persons prepared to do a 6hour round trip over another’s not going to do it isn’t to decide who has more allegiance than another - one is prepared to tolerate that inconvenience, one isn’t.

Oh definitely, we make the 9 hour round trip because we enjoy watching the Albion and meeting up with family, that’s all. Just really disappointed that VAR has taken something away.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think this is [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] ‘s point [MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION], those that have the club running through their veins from the earliest moments of their lives aren’t going to stop going because VAR is shit. Those maybe not Brighton born and bred, for whatever reason maybe are already looking for reasons not to go, VAR might be a convenient vehicle for throwing some toys out of the pram while really life’s priorities and other pressures was already forcing their hand. I can see that point, hence my post about coffins and nails: maybe some of us only need 5 or 6 nails and we can’t get the lid off, some people can take 14 or 15 and still get it off.

And there are others who have been looking for an excuse to leave the game alone (for legitimate reasons) who choose instead to blame this on VAR (which is dishonest). That is the short version of my long post of yesterday, for the TL-DR contingent :rolleyes:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think this is [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] ‘s point [MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION], those that have the club running through their veins from the earliest moments of their lives aren’t going to stop going because VAR is shit. Those maybe not Brighton born and bred, for whatever reason maybe are already looking for reasons not to go, VAR might be a convenient vehicle for throwing some toys out of the pram while really life’s priorities and other pressures was already forcing their hand. I can see that point, hence my post about coffins and nails: maybe some of us only need 5 or 6 nails and we can’t get the lid off, some people can take 14 or 15 and still get it off.

You are quite probably right for some people and maybe wrong for others. If this is the case then I would suggest that he would have won more hearts and minds with a similar explanation instead of calling people dishonest for blaming VAR.

We all have our own reasons for making decisions and it really isn't for others to assume they know what drives us.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Brighton games where VAR has been the star of the show this season:

Albion 2 Man Utd 3
- we have a penalty controversially overturned by VAR, another not given after going to VAR and then a penalty awarded against us after the final whistle (correct decision)

Palace 1 Albion 1
- Palace get a penalty for a blatant dive. VAR fails to intervene

Spurs 2 Albion 1
- Kane “wins” a penalty on the edge of the box by making a back for Lallana. Our goal blatantly should not have stood as March committed a clear foul in the build up

Villa 1 Albion 2
An elbow to the throat entirely missed by VAR, then the last minute Villa penalty is overturned as a clear and obvious error.

Albion 1 Liverpool 1
Welbeck gets a very soft penalty after minimal contact from Robertson

Albion 1 Southampton 2
VAR overturns the on field ruling of a free kick and awards a match winning penalty.

That’s six out of eleven games where it’s been a significant, if not THE major talking point. It had a major influence on the result in five of the six games (I’ll ignore Spurs). Games are being settled by a man watching TV miles away. I can accept the Palace one, as VAR probably correctly didn’t intervene, reducing that to four games and I bet there is more I’ve forgotten.

It has a major part to play but something isn’t right. Personally I think the on field ref should have more influence.

Great summary (except your take on the Liverpool one - there was a full on hard contact there) - but just goes to show how shit it is and influencing games wayyyy too much.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Sorry, but it IS just dishonesty isn't it? Be honest. VAR just gives you a face-saving get-out clause to no longer go.

Maybe you just got old. Maybe you can no longer afford it. Maybe you just can no longer be arsed with the stupidly long round trip.

But at least be honest.

VAR as a genuine reason for no longer going? Nah, sorry, not buying it

Pre lockdown all our games at home were sold out and had thousands on season ticket waiting list .

Apart from the 2k at the Saints game and the sold out Chelsea friendly game nobody has been allowed to watch so who are you actually talking about ? because there are no stats to prove that thousands would or wouldn't be back if allowed .

Once this pandemic has been beaten I would wager that once it's ok to go back to the stadium's across the country , attendances will actually be up all through the leagues .

You don't know what you miss until it's gone , VAR or not, football brings people together and always will .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Brighton games where VAR has been the star of the show this season:

Albion 1 Liverpool 1
Welbeck gets a very soft penalty after minimal contact from Robertson

Liverpool had 2 goals disallowed for offside, I remember the first one going to VAR, I can’t remember their second.

So we would have lost this match if it wasn’t for VAR :)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Liverpool had 2 goals disallowed for offside, I remember the first one going to VAR, I can’t remember their second.

So we would have lost this match if it wasn’t for VAR :)

That’s not VAR controversy though. The directive is to play on when offsides are marginal, then allow it to decide. Both correct decisions although the Salah one was tight

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Great summary (except your take on the Liverpool one - there was a full on hard contact there) - but just goes to show how shit it is and influencing games wayyyy too much.

I think it was a penalty, just a VAR penalty if that makes sense. I just don’t think that would have been gin pre VAR.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Primarily themselves. And then those most closely around them. Fair play tho if it works for them

I couldn't give a flying **** what people think of me tbh, especially internet ones. I'm perfectly happy with my life and the vast majority of choices I make.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Due to financial reasons and living in Wiltshire, I no longer regularly go to games.

I did however watch a lot of football on TV previously. I would consider myself a football fan, not just a Brighton fan. I no longer watch anywhere near as much football because I am fed up with the game. It's not the game I fell in love with and enjoyed watching. Yes time moves on and rule changes happen but the enjoyment of the game has been ripped away from me.

Goals not celebrated because of VAR, 3 minutes checking whether the foul against Southampton was in the box or out followed by debates of when a foul begins and ends, more inconsistency than ever before. Idiots on social media trying to justify the use of the system even when it's clear its not working.

Not for me thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here