Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This Dishonesty About No Longer Wanting To Go To Football Due To VAR

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Sorry, but it IS just dishonesty isn't it? Be honest. VAR just gives you a face-saving get-out clause to no longer go.

Maybe you just got old. Maybe you can no longer afford it. Maybe you just can no longer be arsed with the stupidly long round trip.

But at least be honest.

VAR as a genuine reason for no longer going? Nah, sorry, not buying it

Promise you that VAR is ****ing ruining football for me. It is absolutely not the game I’ve loved since the mid70s. All my mates will verify that I feel this way and I’d rather Brighton lost to three dodgy offsides (of the previous non-VAR era) than have to put up with the current shit fest. A binary yes/no use of cameras is fine (goal line technology) and if a decision is not binary then just suck it up and let the referee make a decision. If it’s a shit/wrong decision then SO BE IT. It beggars belief that the shareholders in the game have made their product worse for players and spectators.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Maybe you just can no longer be arsed with the stupidly long round trip.

Damn! Been found out!

Sorry Tom, but you are so wrong on this one. VAR is even making me doubt if it is worth getting up at stupid o’clock to watch it on TV, because ‘the moment’ cannot be celebrated with conviction anymore.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
My biggest issue with VAR is the glaring inconsistency and mistakes. Ref makes decision, VAR asks him to have another look, he refuses (Palace game). Ref makes decision, VAR just intervenes and overrules and says it’s a penalty (Southampton game). VAR is ruining the beautiful game and people’s enjoyment of it.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Sorry but it is for me.

I love my football and have started going regularly to watch County football and am really enjoying it, being able to stand, walk to the match and it's been refreshing not to see a prima donna in sight. The game is refreshingly untainted at this level.

I used to watch 4 or 5 live sky games each week but have found myself not even bothering with these anymore as football at the top level is just not the same to me anymore with the micro management of almost every decision being picked over by someone in a TV studio hundreds of miles away.

Having been a ST holder for the last 25 years my decision not to renew has nothing to do with money (I retired at 50) it is purely the influence of VAR that has killed my enjoyment at the top level and the spontaneity of celebrating a goal. I get more excited when Shoreham score a goal now than I do watching the Albion on TV.

I'm sure someone on the waiting list of 7000 or so will gladly snap up my seat next year so the club hardly loses out.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Promise you that VAR is ****ing ruining football for me. It is absolutely not the game I’ve loved since the mid70s. All my mates will verify that I feel this way and I’d rather Brighton lost to three dodgy offsides (of the previous non-VAR era) than have to put up with the current shit fest. A binary yes/no use of cameras is fine (goal line technology) and if a decision is not binary then just suck it up and let the referee make a decision. If it’s a shit/wrong decision then SO BE IT. It beggars belief that the shareholders in the game have made their product worse for players and spectators.

[emoji106]

Imagine THAT Andone goal against Palace

I nearly fell off the front row of the West Upper, knocked my (old) mates glasses off and whacked my knee - ended up limping out

Or the Ulloa goal at Forest, brilliant scenes.

THAT is what football is all about.

Was all about.

Now - did the ball go over the touch line on that Andone run?, did he push Tompkins?, was there a foul in our box before it was hoofed upfield?
Did Mackail-Smith run into an offside position at Forest, did Ulloa push the defender?
I know, lets all hang around for 2 minutes, while some people who are not even at the game, and are not really sure what to do, have to make some sort of decision, based on sometimes dodgy evidence.

Anyone who says that VAR hasn’t fecked our beautiful game up, has obviously never actually experienced the true passion of really being behind your team, or maybe they’ve just alway sat in Corporate happy clapping.
The people that run the game obviously just don’t get it.

Congrats on the post Mr Fisherman and feck off VAR

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I don't post much and certainly don't usually enter in to these sorts of threads.

But whoever thpp is he certainly wouldn't pass the Albion's no dickhead recruiting policy. Just because he feels a particular way about VAR or anything else gives him zero right to tell me or anyone else what they are thinking and feeling. And he is way off base here.

I will always go to watch and support the Albion. But the impact of VAR has wrung a lot of the joy out of the game. When that penalty was given against us on Monday I couldn't even get angry about it....I was already prepared and resigned to a ridiculous decision. Similarly, I wasn't nearly as excited by our draw against Liverpool as I would have been in the past, although I was relieved to get a point. In truth we lost that game. Both Salah's offside and the Welbeck penalty might have been technically correct but they were not football as I know it. Similarly our penalty for handball on Monday.

VAR is completely ruining the spectacle. I can fully understand it turning folks away from the game. There are now two long threads saying just that.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
[emoji106]

I nearly fell off the front row of the West Upper, knocked my (old) mates glasses off and whacked my knee - ended up limping out

Was all about.

Now - did the ball go over the touch line on that Andone run?, did he push Tompkins?, was there a foul in our box before it was hoofed upfield?
Did Mackail-Smith run into an offside position at Forest, did Ulloa push the defender?
I know, lets all hang around for 2 minutes, while some people who are not even at the game, and are not really sure what to do, have to make some sort of decision, based on sometimes dodgy evidence.

Anyone who says that VAR hasn’t fecked our beautiful game up, has obviously never actually experienced the true passion of really being behind your team, or maybe they’ve just alway sat in Corporate happy clapping.

Very well put. I too was thinking of the Ulloa goal - an amazing "limbs" moment or the first Murray goal v QPR. Today we'd have celebrated for a second then waited whilst "checking possible offside" comes up and after a minute of so a more muted confirmatory celebration. I've said it many times but there is absolutely nothing, rightly or wrongly, in anyone's life that will make you jump up and down in spontaneous joy like a vital goal does. Without that, going to football will always be just a little bit worse.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Completely and utterly this. I still go and want to go but it will never ever be as good whilst VAR is in place and that's a shame. There is absolutely nothing in the world to beat a spontaneous goal celebration and that has gone forever. If I'd been getting close to not bothering to go for whatever reason, VAR would have pushed me to call it a day.

Totally agree.

I was always pro VAR, but have changed my mind.

As spectators we used to check for one moment to see if the lino had raised a flag. But now face a protracted wait to see if VAR intervenes because an upper arm or toe was offside. FIFA and Collina have driven all this, seeking perfection. I’d rather see the old errors without the time holdups, but perhaps with VAR retained soley for missed violent conduct incidents or unjust red cards.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sorry, but it IS just dishonesty isn't it? Be honest. VAR just gives you a face-saving get-out clause to no longer go.

Maybe you just got old. Maybe you can no longer afford it. Maybe you just can no longer be arsed with the stupidly long round trip.

But at least be honest.

VAR as a genuine reason for no longer going? Nah, sorry, not buying it

You should've opened your thread with.............

"How about a nice game of chess" :lol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sorry for calling you out, my friend. And apologies for hitting an obvious sore spot. But if 'VAR is just the final straw' then IMHO you were already looking for the exit door :wave:

I think it is the final straw for me. The EPL circus, for me, has more negatives than positives. In no particular order:

Fixture changes, I’ve had to miss games because of prior arrangements.

Cheating, Jesus Christ, the level of cheating by so called elite professional sportsmen is just unbearable. And yes I know some of our our players aren’t angels, but they aren’t in the same league as some of what we see week in week our from the so called top 6, or is it7? Perhaps they’re just copying what they see the multi, multi millionaires from Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs etc.

Appalling officials, just incapable of having their own mind about decisions, influenced by the same cheats mentioned above, and scared to make the correct decisions.

VAR, an abomination in the first place, and made worse by the way it’s being implemented and used. Not a single football fan asked for this, some may have asked for technology to deal with the clear and obvious issues, but somehow the likes of Salah, Kane, Grealish and Zaha have still not been dealt with, in fact they and others are using the system to cheat even more.

Matchdays, what a circus, that stupid theme tune they use to ruin every clubs anthem at the beginning of the match. The football tourists, how the **** did they get tickets? The costs, why is it more expensive to buy a pie or a beer at an EPL match?

Merchandise, how ****ing much?

But apart from that [emoji846]

I’m 50/50 about renewing nest season. And VAR is without doubt the main thing that is swaying me away from the team, the club and the ground I love.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
We should all agree that VAR has changed football significantly. My own view is it has ruined it as a live spectacle. It has also led to a significant increase in simulation (which is surely now being coached), and more penalties because any contact is automatically a foul.

Having said all that, I'm still going next weekend. I shall join in the **** VAR chant as appropriate.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

I would have posted earlier but I have been mesmerised by this.....

Anyhoo..... definitely a wind up thread by the wee Scotsman. Nae drama, have a deep fried Marathon.

VAR did reduce the matchday experience for me last season, I'll have to see (when I can get a run of games again) the long term damage. Have to say though that a little bit of madness jumping around to release a bit of energy is the main reason for going to a live game for me and, with a sing and a shout, is what it's all about. This cannot be replicated from watching a screen. It could be replicated at a different stadium/game than the Amex and the Albion... maybe I could go back to watching Haywards Heath, the first team I watched as a young teen, but then again I hate going back to my home town. I'm not sure if I could get the same love for the team as the Albion by watching Lewes, Whitehawk, somewhere else local. Maybe I should hope for relegation then (but could Tony/the Albion live in the Championship sustainably?).

Also, VAR often ruins my betting experience but maybe that's a good thing......

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
[emoji106]

Was all about.

That's a great post. If I was to list my top 10 exciting moments supporting the Albion, they would all be celebrating a goal. But all would now have the edge taken off it by a potential VAR check, followed by probably 25% of them being ruled out.

Jimmy Case v Norwich in the FA Cup Quarter Final leaps into my mind. That would have taken them forever to decide and then probably rule out.
Robbie Reinelt at Hereford, imagine having to wait for that. The joy of that hitting the back of the net will live with me forever. It would not have been the same with VAR.

Ulloa obviously, but Zamora's winner at Leeds, could be a cm offside?

I'm sure there are countless more.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think it is the final straw for me. The EPL circus, for me, has more negatives than positives. In no particular order:

Fixture changes, I’ve had to miss games because of prior arrangements.

Cheating, Jesus Christ, the level of cheating by so called elite professional sportsmen is just unbearable. And yes I know some of our our players aren’t angels, but they aren’t in the same league as some of what we see week in week our from the so called top 6, or is it7? Perhaps they’re just copying what they see the multi, multi millionaires from Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs etc.

Appalling officials, just incapable of having their own mind about decisions, influenced by the same cheats mentioned above, and scared to make the correct decisions.

VAR, an abomination in the first place, and made worse by the way it’s being implemented and used. Not a single football fan asked for this, some may have asked for technology to deal with the clear and obvious issues, but somehow the likes of Salah, Kane, Grealish and Zaha have still not been dealt with, in fact they and others are using the system to cheat even more.

Matchdays, what a circus, that stupid theme tune they use to ruin every clubs anthem at the beginning of the match. The football tourists, how the **** did they get tickets? The costs, why is it more expensive to buy a pie or a beer at an EPL match?

Merchandise, how ****ing much?

But apart from that [emoji846]

I’m 50/50 about renewing nest season. And VAR is without doubt the main thing that is swaying me away from the team, the club and the ground I love.

Another GREAT post. I missed these highlighted but agree ENTIRELY with everything you have said.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Can't be bothered to read the thread but the OP is either fishing or stupid or simply unable to comprehend that other people don't share the same values.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not anywhere near going to a Premier League game in the forseeable future for obvious numerous reasons but I really hate VAR anyway and did from the beginning, I'm not a pro-tech or pro-millimeter justice guy in general and even less so when it comes to football. And I believe that the game should be as similar as possible no matter the level and VAR simply divides football into two different sports.

I find myself choosing to watch Championship instead of the better leagues more often than not these days and look forward to a season of Allsvenskan with full terraces and no VAR, old-school style. Sure hope this shit never comes to Sweden as when it is implemented, its going to be difficult to get rid of it. Unfortunately I think its going to stay, but not entirely hopeless as I see a slim chance of a future where these seasons will be remembered as "those wonky VAR seasons".

As for the thread start I know that some people have a difficult time understanding that people are different.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We should all agree that VAR has changed football significantly. My own view is it has ruined it as a live spectacle. It has also led to a significant increase in simulation (which is surely now being coached), and more penalties because any contact is automatically a foul.

Having said all that, I'm still going next weekend. I shall join in the **** VAR chant as appropriate.

This needs to be mandatory at EVERY televised game - especially now where there is nothing to drown it out. A simple '**** VAR' chant every single time the game is stopped for a review.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are many things I don't like about football at the moment, in no particular order:

VAR
Premier league lording it over the rest of football
Overpaid players
Foreign ownership bank rolling the big team
The top six dominance over everything
Lack of progression of young players (a few teams aside)
Pointless European games - the Europa Cup, early Champions League games
"Hospitality"
"Customer"
Over priced kits, far too regular release of new kits
Too many teams playing possession football
Players diving and not being punished
Penalties being given for nothing
The offside rule no longer giving the benefit to the attacker
All seater stadiums

But yes, if I could remove JUST one of those from the list it would be VAR. The joy of celebrating a goal had gone, almost completely. And that's what I go to football for. The others are irritations which reflect my 40 years of supporting the Albion and probably the fact that I am getting older and harking back to a different time, but VAR might actually kill it once and for all. It is the final straw.

You and I would have an interesting evening together if we ever met up - lol!

I don't have a problem with anything in your list. In fact, I laughed out loud at your dislike of the 'top 6' dominating. This is the first time in my lifetime there has ever been a top six (six club who have a realistic chance of winning the league). After the demise of Revie's hapless but dominant Leeds, we had a period where Liverpool won everything, followed, after a brief hiatus when everone was a bit shit, with ManUre winning everything, followed by the emergence of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Leicester and Spurs, perhaps now with Southamptom and Everton knocking at the door. Do you see a pattern here? Tremendous times. My hope is that the Albion can get up there too, and for the first time in my life I believe we can.

As for possession football, diving and soft penalties, just go back and watch the vieo of the Brighton ManUre cup final. Blatent cheating (deliberate handballs) going unpunished. Assaults on players. Shit shit shitty football. And Manu win again because of referee bias and big club bias.

Football isn't perfect and the game continues to change. But bugger me, it is getting better in every respect. VAR is a game changer (literally) and a shock to the system but, in 5 years time, only the old duffers will hanker for the old days, just like some old duffers hanker for the days of good old fashioned British football hooliganism.

Here is my list of 'room for improvements':

The rules of the game and those who invent them. Don't let the referees set the rules. FIFA, with operational delegation to the EPL should set them. We could FIFEXIT is the old Swiss ***** won't modernise, but this is probably unneccessary. For opinion canvassing, get young current players involved, not soppy old school dinosaurs like Macmanamanaman and (although I generally like him when he stays away from 'old school') Jermain Jenas.

Actually, that's it.

I love football, old football (on the telly, Big Match replayed etc), modern football, EPL football, 'non league' football. Love it. Bring it on.

And I went to my first Albion game 51 years ago. Adapt and survive. ??? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here