Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This Dishonesty About No Longer Wanting To Go To Football Due To VAR

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There are many things I don't like about football at the moment, in no particular order:

VAR
Premier league lording it over the rest of football
Overpaid players
Foreign ownership bank rolling the big team
The top six dominance over everything
Lack of progression of young players (a few teams aside)
Pointless European games - the Europa Cup, early Champions League games
"Hospitality"
"Customer"
Over priced kits, far too regular release of new kits
Too many teams playing possession football
Players diving and not being punished
Penalties being given for nothing
The offside rule no longer giving the benefit to the attacker
All seater stadiums

But yes, if I could remove JUST one of those from the list it would be VAR. The joy of celebrating a goal had gone, almost completely. And that's what I go to football for. The others are irritations which reflect my 40 years of supporting the Albion and probably the fact that I am getting older and harking back to a different time, but VAR might actually kill it once and for all. It is the final straw.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Sorry, but it IS just dishonesty isn't it? Be honest. VAR just gives you a face-saving get-out clause to no longer go.

Maybe you just got old. Maybe you can no longer afford it. Maybe you just can no longer be arsed with the stupidly long round trip.

But at least be honest.

VAR as a genuine reason for no longer going? Nah, sorry, not buying it

6a00e550888f71883300e551c4f08f8833-800wi.gif

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Sorry, but it IS just dishonesty isn't it? Be honest. VAR just gives you a face-saving get-out clause to no longer go.

Maybe you just got old. Maybe you can no longer afford it. Maybe you just can no longer be arsed with the stupidly long round trip.

But at least be honest.

Maybe, just maybe it's the straw that broke the camel's back. How would that fit into your scheme?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm ok with VAR, It's the delay that's the problem.
I'm sure the powers that be will improve the process over time and speed things up.
We all know it's giving too many penalties and taking away too many hair line offside rules.

If you can't tell if the ref wwas wrong or right after 1 look at 2/3 angles, just go with the onfield decision.

VAR won't stop me from going to Football.
When they ban swearing in the North Stand, then it will be time for me to quit, but not before then.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I have been absolutely gutted four times this season, United, Spurs, Palace and now Southampton. I’m not a STH and only go to 2-3 games a year in and around Liverpool where we live. I can take losing but if I’d spent £100 to go to any of those four games I would feel sick to the stomach. For many people VAR is making football very unattractive. Some of these people will decide to stop spending so much of their time and money watching live games.

VAR does get blamed for the world's troubles

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

But at least be honest.

Who cares what the reason is? Or if it's one or 50 reasons?

What difference does the reason(s) someone doesn't go to a football match anymore make to you – or anyone else? If people don't want to go and it's because of VAR, so what? If people don't want to go and it's NOT because of VAR, so what?

And how does VAR give you a 'face-saving get-out clause to no longer go'? What face is there to save and from whom?

I guess I don't really get the point of you starting this thread :shrug:

And that's without going into why you capped up every word in the thread title :eek:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Football changes and the crowds change too . . . . I don't suppose there are many of the rattle waving older working classes from the East terraces in the 70's still going . . . . a lot of the boot boys from the early 80's have long since stopped . . . . . football just evolves along with everything else.

Of course. Life changes, football changes. Given the price of football though we may see the loss of people we cannot afford to lose if VAR spreads to the Championship and we are relegated. I was mainly taking issue with the ‘dishonest’ bit. Personally, I will carry on going even though I despise VAR. Still a great day out with the family but I don’t feel inclined to make any additional sacrifice for the club eg I took my ST money out as soon as given the option. VAR was one of several factors that drove that decision.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

What difference does the reason(s) someone doesn't go to a football match anymore make to you – or anyone else? If people don't want to go and it's because of VAR, so what? If people don't want to go and it's NOT because of VAR, so what?

And how does VAR give you a 'face-saving get-out clause to no longer go'? What face is there to save and from whom?

And that's without going into why you capped up every word in the thread title :eek:

Done that with every thread I ever started :shrug:

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010

Maybe a close friend or family member has decided not to renew their ST and then cited VAR as the reason they aren’t going anymore?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The pies at Morecambe?

flaming burgers at Cheltenham?

This is going back a long, long way (a game won by a Zamora penalty in his original era) but didn't Kidderminster have a pie served by a bloke in a proper chef's hat and the pie was half the size of the van serving it?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I don't know. I still love going to the football, VAR hasn't taken much of the joy away from me personally, but I completely get why it would for some people.

And even as someone who's still very much in love with the game, it is downright infuriating at times. If people feel that way then that's up to them, bit of a bizarre thread imho.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
This.......kind of get where THPP is coming from but can also see that VAR could be the very large straw that breaks the camel’s back for many. Not necessarily the only reason but for many a very significant one. It’s sucking the very life out of the matchday experience.

You could add that the only way to properly understand what's happening with VAR is to watch the game on TV at home, where you'll see all the different angles and hear a reasonably informed discussion about what the decision is resting on.

For spectators in the stadium, those privileges don't exist, which adds to the exasperation.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There are many things I don't like about football at the moment, in no particular order:

Too many teams playing possession football

Yes let's bring back the glory days of one keeper kicking the ball long up field into the arms of the opposition keeper, who bounces the ball then kicks it long into the arms of the opposition keeper, with this sequence being repeated and repeated, until a centre forward is flagged offside, and although the keeper has the ball, the ref has blow for offside. So for a change in the game of keeper to keeper, the left back launches the free kick long into the penalty area where upon the offside flag is raised.

Fun Fun times.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You could add that the only way to properly understand what's happening with VAR is to watch the game on TV at home, where you'll see all the different angles and hear a reasonably informed discussion about what the decision is resting on.

For spectators in the stadium, those privileges don't exist, which adds to the exasperation.

Agree, even then it's not great. It wouldn't take much to at least make it instantly better........

-speed it up (if not obviously a mistake after a couple of replays, stick with the original decision)
-add a margin for offsides in the striker's favour (simply use a thicker line)
-relay the discussions between the on field ref and the VAR to the crowd (and TV audience) - works so well in cricket and rugby
-show the replays on the big screen at the same time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here