Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This binman strike...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What a complete cretin you are.

As Barrel of Fun already posted you mean.

Even though you label "slags" as lazy, you didn't even know the details yourself, other than not very good wage, until Barrel of Fun done the work for you, so try not to claim credit at the expense of others :tosser:

Yeah right, 2 minutes between post times, like I could even have cribbed his info that quick even if I had lowered myself. Hardly my fault he finally decided to get less lazy and look it up for himself. I was educating the other slag.

Nice to see your cretinousness extends beyond footballing apologist matters. You truly are multi-non-talented :tosser:

For the love of Chablis, they are NOT having their basic pay cut!
There is no way that the city's refuse can be dealt with in the hours that are paid at the basic rate. Overtime, weekend working and holiday working are all built into the arrangements. You can't ignore the fact that this particular group of workers sees the issue in terms of the total pay that they receive. And that is being cut.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you were applying for the job now would you consider these terms unfair?

View attachment 43786

Pointless post as it doesn't say what the actual basis wage is (which appears to have been pointed out in subsequent posts as £8)

no, they are standard.

Bit of perspective, unless I've missed something they aren't getting a pay cut? The overtime rate is aligning with other sectors, so working extra hours won't bring as much in but their basic wage is unaffected.

Maybe I see it from a business point of view but that is better than redundancy.

Think you are missing something. Any individual is more concerned with what their take home pay is, not just what their basic pay is. In many cases, employers know that there is an expectation of overtime which is normal rather than exceptional. People working like this will tend to cut their cloth based on what their average take home pay is which is understandable when you are the bottom end of the pay spectrum.

you miss the point of consultation, as do unions. the £4k figure (a worse case as far as i can tell, not typical or average for the rank and file worker) is a number the union tells everyone will be lost *if* the proposed contract changes are applied. everybody out!

why not consult, then strike if that process is fruitless?

That does of course work both ways.

The Dustmen have been some of the most militant workforce the Town has seen, please do not associate these lazy freeloaders with public servants, ffs read the terms attachment, i've worked 37 hours by Wednesday, and earn probably half again what they do....

Why do they deserve a good wage?

Living wage yes like all jobs but

....they pick up rubbish for a living..

Important job I know but not exactly difficult.

Tell me, is £15/17k a living wage in Brighton? That is, could you afford accommodation, food, utilities and council tax?

In these economic times it makes me laugh that people strike. I my line if work my wife and I had to take 3 days work a week less so that equals to a 40% pay cut this went on for 3years and we didn't strike I'm lucky to have a job. Bin men don't do their job very well anyway only deciding what rubbish they will and won't pick up. Also the complete inability to acknowledge any other user of the road. Their job is unskilled and although it is hard on the body so is all manual labour. I can't sympathise with people who strike whatever their chosen profession at least they have a job unlike so many in the private sector.

Question is, why did you willing accept, in effect, a pay cut. Why didn't you do anything about that or did you just take it on the chin. Are you even in a union? As for your comment re the private sector, all the people in the private sector are employed! If they haven't got a job, they are neither in the private or public sector and could take a job in either. As for your comments regarding other road users, is that because whilst they are carrying out their work they have held you up and you got annoyed that they didn't get out of your way? Personally, in Mid Sussex I have never had a problem with the way they drive on the roads.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Yeah right, 2 minutes between post times, like I could even have cribbed his info that quick even if I had lowered myself.
Yet amazingly every other someone pushed you to say how much they earn earlier in thread, you couldn't tell them. Yet someone else does the work, and hey presto within minutes you finally quote the same figure......... mmmmmmm

I still can't work out if you are on a wind up, or genuinely just stupid.:dunce:

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Pointless post as it doesn't say what the actual basis wage is (which appears to have been pointed out in subsequent posts as £8)

No because the dispute has nothing to do with basic pay.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yet amazingly every other someone pushed you to say how much they earn earlier in thread, you couldn't tell them. Yet someone else does the work, and hey presto within minutes you finally quote the same figure......... mmmmmmm

I still can't work out if you are on a wind up, or genuinely just stupid.:dunce:

Just google 'how much does a binman earn in Brighton' and hey presto up it pops surprise surprise. Takes a couple of seconds. They've got the internet on computers now you know. Whatever next. How was I supposed to know the dumbass big-faced bastid was going to choose that exact moment to go look it up for himself after repeatedly asking me, presumably to make a point. Sake! :shrug:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Streets in Brighton were disgusting today
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371318442.417985.jpg

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Just google 'how much does a binman earn in Brighton' and hey presto up it pops surprise surprise. Takes a couple of seconds. They've got the internet on computers now you know. Whatever next. How was I supposed to know the dumbass big-faced bastid was going to choose that exact moment to go look it up for himself after repeatedly asking me, presumably to make a point. Sake! :shrug:
Yet you never quoted the £8 an hour the few times you was asked, until the dumbass big-faced bastid quoted it, then you did. Okay sweetheart. Whatever. You carry on being angry on other peoples behalf. Just don't expect many people to take anything you say too serious if they have read this thread. That is all.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yeah right, 2 minutes between post times, like I could even have cribbed his info that quick even if I had lowered myself. Hardly my fault he finally decided to get less lazy and look it up for himself. I was educating the other slag.

Nice to see your cretinousness extends beyond footballing apologist matters. You truly are multi-non-talented :tosser:

I object to being called a slag. I've always had that information. I was testing whether you were simply pontificating without facts.

Besides, apart from being annoyed about their unofficial strike and inability/unwillingness to catch up on the missed rounds, I don't believe I have sided with anyone.

If the city can't afford to run, then we need to look at where money can be saved or should we, as a city, pay more council tax?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I object to being called a slag. I've always had that information. I was testing whether you were simply pontificating without facts.

Besides, apart from being annoyed about their unofficial strike and inability/unwillingness to catch up on the missed rounds, I don't believe I have sided with anyone.

If the city can't afford to run, then we need to look at where money can be saved or should we, as a city, pay more council tax?

How can the strike be unofficial when the GMB has held a ballot with 95% voting in favour and given the council the legally required notice ???

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How can the strike be unofficial when the GMB has held a ballot with 95% voting in favour and given the council the legally required notice ???

I thought the vote was AFTER the two day strike.

No notice. Bags left out to be torn apart. No notice to let the residents make alternative arrangements.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Not so. This particular group of council workers are having their pay cut to bring it into line with other particular groups of council workers who are, for the most part, women workers in low-paid jobs. Extending low pay to more of the workforce is no solution to the inequalities that exist in society.

As for other particular groups of council workers ... significant numbers remain much more highly paid than CityClean workers.

Cutting CityClean pay will also have an effect on the going rate in a lot of non-council jobs - so more people will suffer.

Ffs

Go and live in Cuba.

Inequalities in society ..... This is the real world

Should a rubbish collector be paid the same as an accountant, manager etc

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There was once a really conscientious dustman and he noticed that one house hadn't left their rubbish out so he thought he'd do the right thing and knocked on the door. A chinese bloke answered and the dustman said "Where's your bin, mate?"

"What you mean? I just bin sleeping"

"No mate. You misunderstand. I'm the dustman. Where's your dustbin?"

"I told you. I dust bin sleeping"

"No. You've got it all wrong. Where's your wheely bin?"

"Okay, I tell the truth. I wheely bin having a w*nk"

Here all week. Tickets still available .....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I thought the vote was AFTER the two day strike.

No notice. Bags left out to be torn apart. No notice to let the residents make alternative arrangements.

I was talking about the current strike. The 2 day action last month was unofficial and started on the day the pay review was revealed to the binmen and the council gave notice of a 90 day consultation period.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit

Think you are missing something. Any individual is more concerned with what their take home pay is, not just what their basic pay is. In many cases, employers know that there is an expectation of overtime which is normal rather than exceptional. People working like this will tend to cut their cloth based on what their average take home pay is which is understandable when you are the bottom end of the pay spectrum.

That does of course work both ways.

Tell me, is £15/17k a living wage in Brighton? That is, could you afford accommodation, food, utilities

17k for someone emptying bins 37 hours a week it is a living wage and no more than that deserves

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here