Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This binman strike...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
But by striking they're ridding themselves of any remaining good will from the general public, and the tide of opinion is turning/has turned.

This cuts both ways , the Greens won't come out of this smelling of roses.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Its a huge cut in an already not very good wage. My vote is firmly with the binmen.

And all these slagging them (henceforth known as 'the slags') are prob. the same gumbies who slag off any other public sector workers like firemen, NHS workers, civil servants who once in a blue moon take the very hard decision to stick up for their rights and try and protect themselves against the easy option attacks of being soft targets for a government that is too chickenshit to claw the money back from the greedhead Enemy Within that caused this shit in the first place. The slags seem to regard the people who keep the town running as some kind of invisible drones to instantly have bile poured on them the minute they dare to have any kind of impact on the slags self-centred lives. Utterly shameful.
The Dustmen have been some of the most militant workforce the Town has seen, please do not associate these lazy freeloaders with public servants, ffs read the terms attachment, i've worked 37 hours by Wednesday, and earn probably half again what they do....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Dustmen have been some of the most militant workforce the Town has seen, please do not associate these lazy freeloaders with public servants, ffs read the terms attachment, i've worked 37 hours by Wednesday, and earn probably half again what they do....

A quick NSC search would reveal exactly the same knee-jerk sentiments expressed by the usual suspects about any other public sector strike, either locally or nationally.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I would love to say sack 'em all, there's loads more unskilled labour flooding into the country to take their place, but my wife works for the council and it's affected her overtime rate and allowances.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Being self employed for this, my fortieth year(struggling at the mo) I would suggest a binman is better off than me.
I have to seek out all my work and compete with several hundred firms and one man bands.
I have watched my binmen leave crap that has fallen out of bins when they attach it to the lorry and go on their merry way.
We are surrounded by so called BRAINY students who have no concept of putting their rubbish & re-cycling out on different days/weeks.
The current situation with rubbish strewn up the pavements & roads is what I have lived with for years.
I am that old :eek: that I remember when the dustmen used to walk through our house to get the bin-empty it-and bring it back FFS! (St Mary Magdalene Street)

However the Greens have wasted hundreds of thousands of pounds on caravan dwellers/cyclists and any number of minority groups you care to mention.
So I back the binman in this instance but would like to smack all parties in the face with a wet fish.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
So I back the binman in this instance but would like to smack all parties in the face with a wet fish.

A sensible, compromise position with something in it for all parties. Hear, hear.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Being self employed for this, my fortieth year(struggling at the mo) I would suggest a binman is better off than me.
I have to seek out all my work and compete with several hundred firms and one man bands.
I have watched my binmen leave crap that has fallen out of bins when they attach it to the lorry and go on their merry way.
We are surrounded by so called BRAINY students who have no concept of putting their rubbish & re-cycling out on different days/weeks.
The current situation with rubbish strewn up the pavements & roads is what I have lived with for years.
I am that old :eek: that I remember when the dustmen used to walk through our house to get the bin-empty it-and bring it back FFS! (St Mary Magdalene Street)

However the Greens have wasted hundreds of thousands of pounds on caravan dwellers/cyclists and any number of minority groups you care to mention.

Pretty much this! Although I'm not old enough to remember the in house collection ;)

What have the greens actually done that has been popular with the majority of people?

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
You asked that already. And I already told you. A not very good wage.

Why do they deserve a good wage?

Living wage yes like all jobs but

....they pick up rubbish for a living..

Important job I know but not exactly difficult.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Why do they deserve a good wage?

Living wage yes like all jobs but

....they pick up rubbish for a living..

Important job I know but not exactly difficult.

Must be rolling in cash to be able to give up a weeks pay.... Oh if anyone living around the central Hove area wants to know where to drop their shit ,the car park at the back of 49 Church Road Hove BN3 2BE (junction of Salisbury Road) is accepting refuse, save going to the tip if your local.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Must be rolling in cash to be able to give up a weeks pay.... Oh if anyone living around the central Hove area wants to know where to drop their shit ,the car park at the back of 49 Church Road Hove BN3 2BE (junction of Salisbury Road) is accepting refuse, save going to the tip if your local.

Good shout. I'll unload a few sacks tomo.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Keep seeing this figure banded about, how is it arrived at, is it from the basic salary or as a reduction of overtime?

As far as I can muster from the Internet...

http://thelatest.co.uk/brighton/201...uncil-chief-speaks-out-about-binmens-dispute/

Of the 1,000 staff who are affected by the changes, the council said that about 550 should be better off and 450 are expected to be worse off.The average gain is about £1,100 and the average loss is about £1,000. Compensation is based on the amount likely to be lost over three years.

So for a worker expected to lose £1,000, the compensation payment would be £3,000.Street cleaners and binmen currently earn £15,444 at £8 an hour for a 37-hour week. This will not change.

Some receive up to an extra £4,800 a year. Most of those who lose out will be between £600 and £2,000 a year worse off.All the numbers are best estimates, not least because they are based on allowances for things such as overtime and car mileage which can vary widely from week to week.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
how much is a "not very good wage" and how does it compare to other unskilled jobs?

Seeing as how the slags are too lazy to look it up before jerking at the knee...

'Street cleaners and binmen currently earn £15,444 at £8 an hour for a 37-hour week. Some receive up to an extra £4,800 a year. Most of those who lose out will be between £600 and £2,000 a year worse off.All the numbers are best estimates, not least because they are based on allowances for things such as overtime and car mileage which can vary widely from week to week.The GMB has said that its members would lose between £5 and £95 a week. The union has also said that some members – thought to be as few as three people – would lose as much as £4,000 a year. The biggest group to lose out is based at Cityclean. Of about 270 workers there, most will be worse off'

Like 15K is going to go very far to support a family in this now-dormitory town of Londoners inflating everything to crazy levels - apart from wages in the town. Maybe you expect public sector workers to commute to their bin depots from miles away. Shameful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here