Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third Test- India v England- Venue: Sardar Patel Stadium, Ahmedabad 24-28.02.2021

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
From listening to the stump mic he wasn’t arguing as that takes two people he was questioning the reasoning behind the quick decision in direct contrast to India’s reviews. He asked for “fairness that’s all I ask”. In the last game where a review obviously failed to fully play out the incident, if I was on the field as captain I’d request there and then to speak to the match referee. During that incident it was pointed out to the umpires yet they failed to go back to the tv umpire and get him to properly look at it.

As long as you politely ask the question but be firm, as captain you have the right. Waiting until everyone has gone home is too late. It wasn’t finger wagging and the umpire on the field appeared to me to offer some sympathy.

If a captain can’t ask a question how can such aggressive appealing be tolerated especially from the likes of India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan now that is intimidating.

You actually don't. Preamble to MCC Laws of Cricket: "Accept the umpire's decision"

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You actually don't. Preamble to MCC Laws of Cricket: "Accept the umpire's decision"

So as being reported now the match referee has agreed Root was asking the correct questions of the umpires. Only the Indian press are trying make more of it which is funny considering the rude angry man who captains their side, who really shouldn’t be playing this game.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I don't agree in full. I think a captain should have the right to question and prompt an umpire if he feels there has been a transgression. The captain only. The umpire should then respond with an explanation which the captain then accepts.

This kind of leeway is allowed to a certain extent in rugby. I have seen captains make requests of the referee that have been followed up with action or reasoning.

Obviously, a captain has to know when they have overstepped the mark though.

And that’s what happened Root accepted it. Might have stuck his tongue out and given him the v sign behind his back but there was no transgression as per match referees assertion post match.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
So as being reported now the match referee has agreed Root was asking the correct questions of the umpires. Only the Indian press are trying make more of it which is funny considering the rude angry man who captains their side, who really shouldn’t be playing this game.

Agree with the last bit at least! :)

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
In fact that's where I first came in - criticising Kohli, while hoping Root doesn't get like him. I'm pleased to see that Root and Silverwood have gone to speak to the match referee, which I think is the correct approach. My original complaint was that action was not taken against Kohli for his antics in the previous match - not a good example for young players.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

Strictly speaking, the laws themselves refer to "showing dissent at an umpire's decision" as a level 1 offence. They don't prohibit a player or captain from questioning whether the 3rd umpire has shown undue haste, or why the TV company only has certain camera angles available for certain decisions. Presumably if Root hasn't been reprimanded by the match referee then they don't feel he crossed the line between reasonable question of the process, and disputing the decision or umpire's competence.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You can see the grooves in that pitch in the batting crease when it was swept just now.... Day 5 ( if we make it that far) is going to be fun!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Strictly speaking, the laws themselves refer to "showing dissent at an umpire's decision" as a level 1 offence. They don't prohibit a player or captain from questioning whether the 3rd umpire has shown undue haste, or why the TV company only has certain camera angles available for certain decisions. Presumably if Root hasn't been reprimanded by the match referee then they don't feel he crossed the line between reasonable question of the process, and disputing the decision or umpire's competence.

https://www.kultejas.com/england-captain-joe-root-and-coach-speak-to-match-referees-umpires-decisions-should-be-consistency/amp/

No question of dissent.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nice to see a marginal decision go our way, I was a little surprised he didn't review that given how close it was to being outside the line.

Yes it wasn't obvious, he was well back but certainly going on the offside.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Belly before wicket

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Root has got to bowl. Quicks are just a relief

He listened

PILTDOWN MAN