Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Old Trafford 1-5 Aug 2013

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
I agree with this, hard to highlight exactly what isn't right. just doesn't strike me as a positive, make things happen Captain.
When his batting is failing also, it doesn't look great.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Given his exploits during the last series I think he still has plenty of credit in the bank. What's more I think he is a very good captain. Tends to make the right decisions, level headed, leads by example. Although his decision to review his dismissal this morning was an odd one by the sounds of things.

What's his average so far this series? Can't be above 20

Series: 145 in six innings... average 24.16

Tests: 7669 in 169 innings... average 48.23

Captain: 1456 in 27 innings (7 hundreds)... average 58.24

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How can anyone with any passion for their side in the biggest series of all watch 3 wickets go down and not be throwing things about the room!?

I don't watch cricket to sit around with my flask and cake watching my team start to collapse and not feel emotional about it.

That said your point about relishing the contest is very true. I am loving and hating it in equal measure!!

I AM emotional about it, but there's part of me that's actually PLEASED to see the Aussies fight like cornered tigers. At the end of the second test it was beginning to look like the days of a meaningful Ashes contest may never return.

I still believe we'll get over the line in this test and that one or two faces for England will show real guts.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Series: 145 in six innings... average 24.16

Tests: 7669 in 169 innings... average 48.23

Average as captain is over 60.

I stand corrected. He's got more this series than I've given him credit for. Although still not enough for a man of his talents. Not gonna get on his back though. His overall stats are phenomenal.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Aggers on TMS to Malcolm Conn (Australian cricket writer): "If England survive today and we retain the Ashes here.....Hang on, I have been waiting years to say that to you so I am going to say it again....If England survive today and we retain the Ashes here". :smile:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I AM emotional about it, but there's part of me that's actually PLEASED to see the Aussies fight like cornered tigers. At the end of the second test it was beginning to look like the days of a meaningful Ashes contest may never return.

I still believe we'll get over the line in this test and that one or two faces for England will show real guts.

Lets hope so, and your point is correct and I agree. As you'll note from my other posts, I was ranting for a while...

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
could someone please explain what this means?

Weather update
"Ian Ward out on the pitch says that dark clouds are gathering and while there is no rain around right now, light may become an issue during the afternoon session. Of course, Australia can keep the game going in murky conditions by putting on spinners from both ends."

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Average in England when the ball is moving?

He's a very good player in most conditions, but I still find him far too vulnerable on a difficult morning at home in comparison to the likes of Trott and Pietersen.

In England... 3770 from 89 innings... average 43.83

As captain in England... 362 from 10 innings... average 36.20

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Weather update
"Ian Ward out on the pitch says that dark clouds are gathering and while there is no rain around right now, light may become an issue during the afternoon session. Of course, Australia can keep the game going in murky conditions by putting on spinners from both ends."

If it's murky rather than really dark the umpires can tell the fielding captain that it's too dark for fast bowlers but they it's alright to bowl spinners as it's less dangerous for the batsmen. However that would only work for a limited time before the fact that it was then too dangerous for the fielders as well or it just became too dark full stop

Weather update

In dark conditions Umpires will allow the game to continue with slow (spin) bowling. They offered it to England yesterday and Cook declined.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting lunch conversation on TMS. Surprised to hear the level of animosity from the journalists and commentators about Pietersen, I know relations aren't great between Figjam and the press but it sounded almost personal. Mind you, KP didn't do much for his reputation as a team player by wasting a review on his dismissal.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Restart
Play to resume at 2pm. Five overs have been lost, 73 remain.

eeek......7 wickets left.....thats 1 per 10 overs......thats not going to happen.

soo.....

BRING ON THE RAIN!! The English always have the rain in the back pocket - so you keep creaming yourself about your sun ozzies, we got the RAIN, and its on our side.

lol.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here