Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Old Trafford 1-5 Aug 2013

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Interesting lunch conversation on TMS. Surprised to hear the level of animosity from the journalists and commentators about Pietersen, I know relations aren't great between Figjam and the press but it sounded almost personal. Mind you, KP didn't do much for his reputation as a team player by wasting a review on his dismissal.

I found it interesting that the journo's were basically slating England in general for their press conferences - one mentioned that Andy Flower does not appear to believe that it is part of his job. They made the comparison with football, and that the best English players need to be seen to promote the game, rather that just trot out the same old "on message" answers to every question. They loved Warner's interview last night, even though they also believe that he should not be here at all!

I do miss TMS, I must say!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I found it interesting that the journo's were basically slating England in general for their press conferences - one mentioned that Andy Flower does not appear to believe that it is part of his job. They made the comparison with football, and that the best English players need to be seen to promote the game, rather that just trot out the same old "on message" answers to every question. They loved Warner's interview last night, even though they also believe that he should not be here at all!

I do miss TMS, I must say!

While I can kind of see their point, is it not part of the journo's duty to promote the game, If they spent less time on personal feelings and vendettas and insanely over-exaggerating the slighest thing the players would have more time for them and speak more candidly

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'd never really noticed Cook's incredibly selfish use of reviews until a few people in these threads started mentioning it, but that one has to be Exhibit A in any case for the prosecution. Utterly ridiculous.

Especially when he didn't advise Bresnan to review his in the first innings.

That one was was particularly poorly judged though.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
That's exactly what I suspected, he performs way below average at home. I don't mean it to sound like I don't rate the guy, as he's clearly going to end his career as England's all-time top Test run scorer by some distance, but I think he has issues against the moving ball at home and he hasn't ironed them out even after all these years. The good news is his next action after this series will be in Australia and the West Indies, where he'll smash them all over the park.

To be fair though, I don't think many batsmen have mastered the swinging ball. With maybe the exception of facing a good spinner on a bunsen, playing late swing effectively is probably the hardest thing to master. Just look at how we made Tendulkar look silly a few years ago.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
While I can kind of see their point, is it not part of the journo's duty to promote the game, If they spent less time on personal feelings and vendettas and insanely over-exaggerating the slighest thing the players would have more time for them and speak more candidly

Very true. Their fawning over Warner shows their desperation for a story, even though there is loads in this series to write about cricket wise.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Hopefully, we'll be able to see this out today.

There's things to think about though, Australia have bowled extremely well in this series, their seamers appear to be capable of getting more out of a flat track than ours. I think we need to be thankful that so far one of our batsmen has got us out of jail in every innings in the series thus far. Worryingly, I can see us getting skittled at some point in the series.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think Harris will struggle to play the next test and he's been there best bowler.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hopefully, we'll be able to see this out today.

There's things to think about though, Australia have bowled extremely well in this series, their seamers appear to be capable of getting more out of a flat track than ours. I think we need to be thankful that so far one of our batsmen has got us out of jail in every innings in the series thus far. Worryingly, I can see us getting skittled at some point in the series.

But good teams have a number of batsmen who can chip in with centuries, that's why they're good. So far Bell, Root and Pietersen have come to the party and the chances are Cook and Trott will grab a ton before the end of the series.

Australia, on the other hand, rely entirely on Clarke - he's got their one century so far. Take the captains out of the equation and the rest of our side have scored 61 tons to their, er, 8.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
14.18hrs. Australia 8/1 for the victory, 1/18 the draw.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
But good teams have a number of batsmen who can chip in with centuries, that's why they're good. So far Bell, Root and Pietersen have come to the party and the chances are Cook and Trott will grab a ton before the end of the series.

Australia, on the other hand, rely entirely on Clarke - he's got their one century so far. Take the captains out of the equation and the rest of our side have scored 61 tons to their, er, 8.

I don't disagree. England's bowling versus Australia's batting on anything other than the first innings here has been a mismatch. We've batted pretty well, without ever truly cutting loose against a good seam bowling attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here