Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thinking Of Commuting To London Tomorrow ?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
More issues with the power supply this morning at Croydon caused today's problems. Again a UK Power Network issue.......

On the subject of "they make all the profit" - for every £1 of a fare - train companies get 3p of that as profit - so if you pay £3000 a year - the company only gets £90 of that.

Would be easier if you could prevent 3rd party incidents screwing up a service but it's impossible and it happens to every railway in the world.

They do not deserve that 3p

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I see they still have this message up ...

"Services between South Croydon and East Croydon are subject to delay, alteration and possible cancellation owing to an earlier electrical problem in the South Croydon area".

This message has been up since about 9 this morning, so given that the problem was fixed at least 4 hours ago, they are still apparently delaying and cancelling trains. Great.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
if the restaurant went dark while you sat there, and the street is dark too, would you still blame the restaurant when they served your food 20 minutes late? do you blame your petrol station when your delayed on the motorway? i know we pay the money to Southern (or FCC) but really, why do we keep blaming them for issues with weather, jumpers, signaling or power? i reverse my ire for shortage of staff and defective trains.

Ultimately they are responsible for moving several hundreds of thousand people every morning and they regularly can't do it.

I think most people are very reasonable with them, especially when it comes to jumpers (which isn't their fault, I might add).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Ultimately they are responsible for moving several hundreds of thousand people every morning and they regularly can't do it.

I think most people are very reasonable with them, especially when it comes to jumpers (which isn't their fault, I might add).

I think most people are super reasonable. Almost comical responses when the excuses get stuttered out.

One positive is on a delayed train you never see the guard hassling you to see your ticket as he's always bottling it somewhere

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
There are delays at the moment. Object on the tracks south of Haywards Heath.

Probably a small twig now causing chaos.

Looks like the delays have gone now, I assume a bird flew in and took the twig away.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Looks like the delays have gone now, I assume a bird flew in and took the twig away.

But if it left some poop behind on the rail, it could derail the next train through. Better turn off the power supply to the Southern network until they can clear it up. Nobody will need it in the next couple of hours, will they.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Buses on Coastway East as a train has struck something, tomorrow could be a challenge train wise.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Buses on Coastway East as a train has struck something, tomorrow could be a challenge train wise.

Buses were running between Hastings and Eastbourne after a large tree came down and struck a tree at Pevensey - caused a lot of damage too. Of course, that's the train companies fault though :facepalm:

Lightning has blown the signalling at Chichester so nothing can run - again according to some, that's the train companies fault - as is trees coming down apparently......

Weather is getting rapidly worse too.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Buses were running between Hastings and Eastbourne after a large tree came down and struck a tree at Pevensey - caused a lot of damage too. Of course, that's the train companies fault though :facepalm:

Lightning has blown the signalling at Chichester so nothing can run - again according to some, that's the train companies fault - as is trees coming down apparently......

You what ?

Where have I inferred it is the Train Company at fault ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Why don't they protect the lines from trees a bit better?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

This weather is certainly not the fault of the rail companies, but it just adds to the countless other times of poor service across the year that gets me.

The service was more reliable (and better value for money) before privitisation.

No point having so called fancy new trains, if the service is crap.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Surely many of the trees are on private land.
I use the train to get to and from work and generally over the year find them very reliable. I also think the bus service in Brighton is excellent although there are also many moaners about them on here. Even if everything was perfect they still wouldn't be happy and have to find something else to fret about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here