Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things that you've done that could have killed you, making you die to death

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Apart from a few near misses while a teenage motorcyclist, not too much to worry about. I do take umbrage with the news reports of people dying while using Wing Suits, parachuting and freestyle rock climbing when they say that their deaths are "tragic" . By taking part in these activities you are ramping up the chance of death, once you have jumped out of a perfectly working aeroplane there should be no need to repeat it unless said aeroplane stops working !

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
1/ On either my CB900 or GSXR1100 (can't remember which) I hammered out of the petrol station onto a rain soaked A27 opposite ish the Newmarket Pub after refuelling.
Just as I left the forecourt I got some crazy wheelspin and ended up crossing both lanes almost reaching the central reservation totally out of control.
A second after I managed to get the bike pointed straight, a van came by at 70-80 ish on my nearside.
Pure luck I wasn't killed to death.

2/ At work a15/20kg lump of steel fell from about twenty feet up and landed on my head.
Luckily I had a hard hat on but still had my top four front teeth smashed to pieces, whiplash injuries for months afterwards and had 9 stitches in the top of my head where I still have a 2 inch dent and scar.
If i hadn't been wearing a hard hat I would've been killed to death.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Have kids and watch them grow up....that's enough to cause multiple bouts of heart failure

And then it starts again with the arrival of grandchildren.....

“Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in again.”

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I dived into a sandbank head first in Cyprus, broke 3 bones in my neck, I fought back against a barman who had a shotgun in Marseille , I took it off him. 9 people were machine gunned in the same bar, about a month later, part of a drug war.
Over 60 cardiac arrests, pneumothorax, pulmonary embolism.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was cutting some steel with an angle grinder today . . . A few times the blade bit and the grinder kicked, first time the blade kicked towards my left eye/face. It wasless than an inch away from my safety glasses, which are not grinder resistant. Once I got to the kick point on the second piece ( 100x60x8mm angle iron) I decided to finish the last 1/4" with a hacksaw.

Thats the closest I've come to death today.

Had a few close calls with lathes/millng machines. Had a car roll off the axle stands with me under it before . . . . Managed to rock it back and hold it whilst crawling out . . . . Too many scootering/driving near misses to remember, nearly always in town, particularly Brighton. I tend not to go there on wheels any more, too busy and bloody dangerous.

6 months on an Oil refinery in ROmania was interesting. . .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Grew up in the 70's and 80's, every summer produced acts likely to attract a Darwin Award.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I dived into a sandbank head first in Cyprus, broke 3 bones in my neck, I fought back against a barman who had a shotgun in Marseille , I took it off him. 9 people were machine gunned in the same bar, about a month later, part of a drug war.
Over 60 cardiac arrests, pneumothorax, pulmonary embolism.

This sounds a lot like The Merry Monk in its heyday ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A few very close near misses in cabs in Taipei and crossing the road in India. Then I watched an episode of Bourdian in Vietnam and it looked about ten times as dangerous :eek:

The one rule is that you don't hit stuff in front of you. Problem is some pretty crazy stuff happens in front of you. For the most part it works incredibly well though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I got front wheel wobble two up on my Lambretta doing 73 at the bend at the bottom of Snakey. Frightened me s**tless and never did something that stupid again. Things you do when you’re young?!

I was coming home from my gf's place in Ferring one night doing 65 on my TS185 when the back wheel locked up because the engine seized..... thats really scary because one second you are being deafened by the engine then all off a sudden all you can hear is your locked up rear wheel fishtailing on the wet tarmac. The TS185 was a 2 stroke and I had managed to get a problem with the oil pump that mixed the petrol/oil mix.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Jebus!!
I'm glad you're still around.

So am I,the miracles of modern science,I have an implantable cardioverter defribulator that has fired over 60 times, I’ve worn out the batteries on 2 , I’m on my third one.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Snowboarding with my 3 kids in Mayerhofen, sudden white out. On piste but no where near somewhere to take refuge. I was bloody glad when we got down.

Working on site watching a crane take a packet of breeze blocks up 6 stories, I noticed a piece of wood break off and I watched it float down. Lloyd shout to my right of "move" as a breeze block landed right next to me on my right. If I had moved, dead.

Check out Darwinawards.com for some laughs!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Andrew Crash Apr 93 1.jpg

Andrew Crash Apr 93 2.jpg

Had a little accident near Angmering. Aquaplaned on a road that had a small flood. Bounced around and ended up in the middle of a field. Quite lucky in that in the passenger footwell was my metal tool box, on the back seat was was a garden fork. If you look carefully, you can see an Albion programme wedged in the rear passenger window.

It was a company car that was only three months old. Not surprisingly, it was written off. Fortunately I wasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here