Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things that the UK actually does rather well

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
40 mins in corporate crem MC’d by a stranger followed by some sandwiches at the local boozer? That’ll be £4k please.

That’s the reason I don’t want a funeral.

They can scatter my ashes on Lancing Ring and get on with their day.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
1 - Curry. Have you tried getting a decent curry in, say France? When my American relatives come over they insist on going out for a curry.
2 - Corner shops that sell everything.
3 - Multi-culturalism.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
(Herr Tubthumper admits failure to himself and quietly exits the thread and hopes no one notices)
Oi! You! Yes, you - we can see you hiding there you know …. 🙂

Let’s see ….
League Football (and sometimes national, especially in 1966 😉)
Universities - world class education
Stunning Countryside, market towns and small villages
Relatively low taxation
Being polite, queuing
Being sociable
Technology and innovation
Journalism/news
Fish ‘n Chips
Naval, land, and air armed services
The English language
Birdwatching
Pageantry
Road signs
Tea

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The argument against your POV is that this makes us relaxed and complacent about corruption, which allows smaller amounts of corruption to leak in and become normalised.

This (further down the line) will enable larger corrupt acts to be committed and yet played down with similar statements of “yeah, but we’re not as bad as <country x>” which will then in turn allow an additional layer of acceptance of corruption.

Not allowing corruption in relies upon all of us maintaining a high level of vigilance and insisting on transparency and accountability in our government and public officials. (Even when they’re ‘our’ tribe)

Completely agree. Whilst we're nowhere near the corruption of Berlusconi and Italian politics, doesn't mean that we accept any that we find.

I think our whole political system is pretty good compared to the rest of the world. The USA for example where blatant Lobbyists push their own agendas and corruption to a whole new level imo.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Completely agree. Whilst we're nowhere near the corruption of Berlusconi and Italian politics, doesn't mean that we accept any that we find.

I think our whole political system is pretty good compared to the rest of the world. The USA for example where blatant Lobbyists push their own agendas and corruption to a whole new level imo.

I certainly think lobbying in this country is less out in the open and more surreptitious/subtle. It’s absolutely here and influencing government decisions, the question is at what point does it stop being reasonably presenting a business sector’s point of view, and instead become “actively selling your electorate down the river.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here