Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things That Really Matter

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I remember a few years ago, on a cold December day, the Daily Mirror had a half page ‘story’ that Camilla was wearing a pair of gloves.

That was it, that was the story.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
"We have carried out an archaeological appraisal of the damage to Hadrian's Wall and can confirm there are some cracks and fragments broken off from two of the facing stones of the Wall, which we believe have been caused by the felling of the Sycamore tree."
OMG,😲 two of the facing stones are damaged!
Already the poor tree is forgotten.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apostrophe after an “s” is really for things belonging to plurals. So if a group of football supporters club together to buy a match worn item of apparel it becomes “the fans’ shirt”.

In the case of the street there is only one St James and the common pronunciation uses both letter s. Therefore St James’s.
Why does it need an apostrophe at all? It's a street named after St. James; it doesn't belong to St. James.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why does it need an apostrophe at all? It's a street named after St. James; it doesn't belong to St. James.
How do you know that? Have you got the legal deeds? :moo:

People have been saying it wrongly for years in that case - but was the sign incorrectly made for the pronunciation or have people simply been saying an incorrect item of signage?

It's sure as shit not St James' either way.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

People have been saying it wrongly for years in that case - but was the sign incorrectly made for the pronunciation or have people simply been saying an incorrect item of signage?

No legal deeds, no - and in the absence of legal deeds there is no proof of ownership.

Accept your point though that people pronounce the street name as St. Jameziz. Perhaps the street sign should be phonetically correct to keep everyone happy? :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Green City are slightly confused :smokin:

IMG_1299.jpeg

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Does any other country have problems with their own grammar and punctuation, as much as we do?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is indeed heart warming in this day and age that there are still some people who know where an apostrophe is required and where it is not! Well done the concerned residents of Twyford.

Whoever put in the incorrect sign should of known better ......................................
I'm off out to by some banana's.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There’s a road sign in Stubbington, near Southampton, that’s had to ‘reconfigured’. The road in question is called Anker Lane. Needless to say the authorities have squished up the Anker as far to the left of the sign as possible. Now I wonder why? :wink:
It's to stop those pesky high earners changing it to Banker's Lane I guess?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
St James's Street is simply known by those of us who have frequented it for many decades as 'Jimmy Street'.

I think this might dull the debate, but at least stop the warring factions.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Does any other country have problems with their own grammar and punctuation, as much as we do?
When I was working in export sales support/customer service environments 30 to 40 years ago, I often found myself subconsciously correcting the grammar and spelling of letters and faxes that came in - adjectives that didn’t agree with the nouns they were describing, singular verbs with plural subjects and things like that - in both French and German.

PS - I’ve got a modern languages degree

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I do'nt think they do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here