Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things That Really Matter

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In a world where we seem to discuss trivial things such as war, famine, disease and football, it is wonderful to see important items returning to the news front pages.

Residents on a private road in Twyford finally triumph in their exhausting campaign for justice as the apostrophe returns to their road sign. Understandably, this is the second most read item on the most read news site on the planet.

Does anyone else have some front page news that we dare not miss ?

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Calling @hans kraay fan club .

His wife is from that village, as is one of my best mates.
Lovely (very expensive!) village Twyford and that road is very nice. Played a lot of football and cricket in Twyford over the years. Having known a lot of residents of Twyford, including my uncle, that story does not surprise me at all!

Wouldn’t want to live on the main road through the village though with the traffic and number of lorrys that travel through that very narrow road and at some speed. It is a bit of a Winchester/M3 rat run.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It is indeed heart warming in this day and age that there are still some people who know where an apostrophe is required and where it is not! Well done the pedantic residents of Twyford.
🙂

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It is indeed heart warming in this day and age that there are still some people who know where an apostrophe is required and where it is not! Well done the concerned residents of Twyford.

Whoever put in the incorrect sign should of known better ......................................
Its very heart warming. Youv'e summed it up well.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The power of NSC

Screenshot 2023-11-19 001511.png

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Lovely (very expensive!) village Twyford and that road is very nice. Played a lot of football and cricket in Twyford over the years. Having known a lot of residents of Twyford, including my uncle, that story does not surprise me at all!

Wouldn’t want to live on the main road through the village though with the traffic and number of lorrys that travel through that very narrow road and at some speed. It is a bit of a Winchester/M3 rat run.
My wife and kids live in Twyford, it’s a beautiful little village.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
In Lewes. Harvey's never traditionally had an apostrophe and it has been a relatively recent addition to their labels and aingage. Probably correct but a sign of the impending end of civilisation I think.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've always thought our very own St James's Street should be St James' Street

I'm sure someone on here can explain ....

View attachment 170023
Apostrophe after an “s” is really for things belonging to plurals. So if a group of football supporters club together to buy a match worn item of apparel it becomes “the fans’ shirt”.

In the case of the street there is only one St James and the common pronunciation uses both letter s. Therefore St James’s.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Apostrophe after an “s” is really for things belonging to plurals. So if a group of football supporters club together to buy a match worn item of apparel it becomes “the fans’ shirt”.

In the case of the street there is only one St James and the common pronunciation uses both letter s. Therefore St James’s.
What would be the rule though if there were two St James GB?

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Reminds me of the free newspaper in " After Life " and the stories they covered.

Last edited:

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
The most concerning part of this story is the fact that the old sign was found and re-fitted after a year which begs the question why it was removed and replaced in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here