Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things that annoy you about our football club right now..

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
But he did. Bloom said in a fans forum, and Barber has said many times since that not all of the incoming transfer money would be spent on players fees. This isn't unusual. Few Champ clubs would spend all the Ulloa money on new players. (Palace didn't with Zaha to pick one example at random).
I think the club have been open about it. And the only reason we get told the squad is the most expensive we've ever had presumably because it is. The accounts will have to show that when they're published next season. All other statements along these lines in previous seasons by Bloom have been proven true.

Thinking that the squad, at least in the first part of the season, is capable of holding its own in the Top 6 and being open about it being expensive shows us a number of things given we finished 20th .
We've spent badly, Bloom believed the players we bought had a track record/potential (at the time), Bloom has invested in the playing side yet again. it doesn't show he's lying , or trying to pull the wool over the fans eyes as the regret and disappointment in the programme and elsewhere by TB in the last week or so also shows.
This season has been horrible, the club messed up with recruitment, didn't handle the replacement of key players, made a key managerial mistake and only about half a dozen matches out of the 28 or so i've seen this season have been in any way satisfying. But the idea that the club aren't open about what they think to fans, haven't invested heavily in the clubs playing side or didn't think the club had potential to be top 6 in Sep/Oct just doesn't hold up.

I guess maybe it's one of perception then. Agree that Barber has said that not all the Ulloa money will be spent on new players but they also said Bridcutt didn't need to be sold for us to hit FFP that year and we also heard that Buckley and Ulloa didn't need to be sold either (in terms of FFP). So, if we brought in around £13m (not sure if that is about right?) for these players that didn't need to be sold for financial reasons; even if not all the money would be spent on new players (and I totally understand why this is the case), I would still expect more than 20% of it to be spent on transfer fees for direct replacements if we were really expecting to try and maintain/improve the playing side of the club...

MattyC

May 12, 2013
1) The card machines at the concession stands never seem to be working and they don't bother to put up signs to let you know!! Bit annoying after queuing for 15 minutes for a beer and a pie only to be told they can only accept cash and season tickets for payment!! Just a little sign to say the machines aren't working would be good!!
2) Too much time and effort put into developing the infrastructure and 'corporation' and not enough being put into the team and it's progression. Just seems there is an imbalance there!?
3) Opera singer!! Don't really feel this represents the character of the club, someone like Fatboy Slim would be a more popular choice that would suit the party atmosphere of Brighton as a city!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The "club NEVER do ANYTHING wrong" fans on here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The moaning, ungrateful fans.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Bag searching.

This. I could walk into the Amex on Any Given Saturday with cans/bottles/flares in my jacket pockets while they busily search my bag and came up empty handed. The fact that I'm in the North stand means that, even if I were to successfully sneak in the Chinese throwing stars that I'm often tempted to stash in the bottom of my bag to throw at the away fans, the chances of them making it as far as the South stand is rather remote.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
A bit smart-ass to be honest. You know exactly what the poster meant.

Back in the seventies adult entry to the Goldstone cost the same as the cinema. Now?

precisely this
when and if I ever felt fit enough to go to the Amex I would not be able to afford it, while we were playing at the Goldstone I could walk there from the top of Preston Drove and walk home, and when we moved to Fishersgate I walked then too.

and just an after thought I walked from Mile Oak while I lived there

now the problem is not the transport is the entry price

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
None of the OPs points vaguely annoy me.

It's still a great club to support and, despite a pretty awful season on the field, the club are still getting an awful lot right off it.

The only thing that has really irritated me this season is some of the communication coming from the top - a few of the comments such as:

1) Wait and judge us at the end of August. I'm very confident we'll have a top 6 squad.
2) It was nice being sat in the pub on transfer deadline day having completed all our business.
3) I still think we have a squad capable of the top 6 (when we were near or in the relegation zone towards the end of Sami's reign)

Having supported the club for over 30 years, I've seen football far worse that what we see nowadays, I've seen plenty of relegations etc. BUT it always felt we were fighting against the odds then. We didn't have any money/we had Archer/we had no ground etc. etc. We were punching above our weight generally and it was fun/challenging/emotional etc.

This season, it just feels like there has been a bit of arrogance/delusion at the top. The comments made by Tony Bloom were either extremely worrying in terms of his judgement or he was trying to pull the wool over the fans eyes - neither of them particularly great. If Brighton fans feel that they're being told the truth, we've shown we'll pretty much put up with anything. If we are told up front that the Ulloa money has to go on reducing our losses and only a very small proportion will be spent on new signings, so be it - I'd happily accept that. However, we only get told things like the squad is the most expensive we've ever had (which again is more than a slight worry if true because the quality is by far the worst we've had at the Amex).

It was actually nice to read in yesterday's programme from both Bloom and Barber that they got things wrong and the season has been a major disappointment - it was the first time I'd seen either of them really admit this.

It is a very big summer ahead for the club - I'm amazed at the high number of season ticket renewals for next season. if we have another season like this one, I do fear that the number will drop far more significantly.

However, 4 or 5 really good new first teamers - and it could be another top 6 season...

Agree totally, except that my supporting of the club goes back to a first match in 1967, albeit irregular attendance since, but an STH for the last two years and renewed for next year.

But to be fair to Bloom and Barber. they probably believed it at the beginning of the season when they said we were going to be OK, and di things to put it right when it was obvious we were not through getting rid of Burke once Sami had gone.

I would hope we could do a lot better next season - automatic or play-off places - but am realistic enough to realise that we might not achieve either. A more comfortable season than this one would be a start. But whatever happens I will probably be an STH for 2016/17 as well, because no other football club matters, and when that is the case, you take the rough with the smooth.

So silly threads about "what annoys you...." probably annoy me as well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Fans who appoint themselves the judge of what makes a good fan/a proper fan/proper football

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Again some posters have mentioned the losses. Yes TB has been and is committed to continue to cover the losses, a large amount of the losses are paper losses such as depreciation. It is wholly used for tax purposes and is not a debt that needs physical payment to service.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Half time scores and lottery numbers shown for all of 30 seconds on the big screens. Only to be replaced with F***ing adverts.

yes good point about the big screens.

On most home matchdays I get to my seat at half an hour before kick off, the teams are not on the screens until just before kick off, they are also on the screens throughout the match.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I guess maybe it's one of perception then. Agree that Barber has said that not all the Ulloa money will be spent on new players but they also said Bridcutt didn't need to be sold for us to hit FFP that year and we also heard that Buckley and Ulloa didn't need to be sold either (in terms of FFP). So, if we brought in around £13m (not sure if that is about right?) for these players that didn't need to be sold for financial reasons; even if not all the money would be spent on new players (and I totally understand why this is the case), I would still expect more than 20% of it to be spent on transfer fees for direct replacements if we were really expecting to try and maintain/improve the playing side of the club...

This is exactly what Bloom said in a fan forum about transfer fee income in September when asked about Ulloa and Buckley...
"We’ve just got to make sure we get the best possible deal for the football club. We invest some of [the transfer] money [in players] but we didn’t spend it all, and some went on the huge costs we have here.
“It helps with financial fair play, but it’s not the main thing. We lose a lot of money each year, approximately £10 million so if we reduce those losses and have a very good squad then that’s even better."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here