Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things about the South you have only just discovered

Never new of this place ???

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_165924.jpg
    IMG_20220909_165924.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 224

Jul 7, 2003
A Twitten is very much a Sussex / Southern phrase to describe a small alley or passageway which is not used anywhere else.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
A Twitten is very much a Sussex / Southern phrase to describe a small alley or passageway which is not used anywhere else.
I love the word twitten. Was always fascinated when I was young going past Glebe Twitten in Cuckfield and thinking that must be one of the most exotic sounding streets in the country

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It is played in Surrey too. I used to watch it being played at North Holmwood Cricket Club when I lived in a house overlooking the pitch when I was little, and they had all the kit for playing it at my middle school - I think we even played it a couple of times too!

Anything good with a bat and ball involved in Sussex is stolen by Surrey soon after, just look at the Sussex CC threads

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
All the best people have always known about Tide Mills :)

Tideway sponsored walk used to go past there on the way to the Martello Tower in Seaford. Might still do for that matter.

Back in the seventies and eighties Tideway's sixth form used to do a fancy dress* sponsored walk known as 'The Buckle Run' which ended at the Buckle pub near Bishopstone. The school actually called it that. Could you imagine now if U18s asked their friends and family to sponsor them to take a day off school and walk to the pub?

* - Everybody went in the same costume: 'Person old enough to drink beer'.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Amberley Museum - went when I was a child on a school trip. Boring.

Now started going back with my littlelest one and it's great! Trains, buses, decent cafe, nice people, lots of different events. Membership very cheap as well. We became members after our first visit and have gone 8-10 times since, more than paid for itself probably 3-4 times over and makes a 2 hour trip worthwhile whereas you wouldn't do that for a day admission. I think I'm hooked.

https://www.amberleymuseum.co.uk/

Also famous in the Bond world for this:

https://jamesbondradio.com/bond-film-locations-view-kill-amberley-museum/

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just after Mrs Wz first moved down from Scotland she went to a friends house having been given directions. She then spent hours looking around Burgess Hill for a road called 'the twitten' :dunce:

:lolol:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I think Toad in the Hole is a uniquely Sussex game too - I've certainly never seen it in any pub outside our county

It kind of is in the way it looks in Lewes (and some other pubs) but there are variants, some including actual toad / frog figures on the board, in several Spanish speaking countries of South America (so presumably something centuries old and not necessarily from Sussex originally) - if you do a Google image search for juego de la rana you'll see what I mean.

It's also a basque game. Can't remember what they call it in local language but on Amazon you can by a kit for the "basque frog game" which is basically Sussex toads with wood and plastic instead of brass and lead https://www.amazon.co.uk/CADENAS-Basic-Wooden-Basque-Country/dp/B09XJH4F43

This is a Spanish version with a more Lewes-y single hole for the toad than some of the others for example https://www.bricovalle.es/juego-rana/mesa-juego-rana-basico/acin-kit-mesa-rana-basico-p-9317.html

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not so much about the south, but I realise now I'm up here, that when they talk about the south you know they're talking about you. Whereas when they talk about northern areas, it's never clear whether they're talking about the north of England, or Scotland, or northern Scotland, Leeds actually being very much in the south if you take the UK as a whole.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Neil Buchanan once owned a beach hut along Hove seafront, but was forced to sell it back to the council in 1994 after he painted it purple, and point blank refused to restore it back to the standard aqua green. The council filed a claim in the small claims court to cover the cost of restoring it, which Buchanan eventually settled. Buchanan still owns a property in Portslade, but he is to this day banned from walking along Hove promenade any further east than Grand Avenue.

Is this the same Neil Buchanon who allegendly died of an Art Attack? :)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The Ouse originally went into the sea below Seaford Head (10th century) then due to storms it moved along the coast to Tides Mill, then it was diverted to the new port - hence the name of Newhaven. As above - Tides Mill used tidal power. Amazing place. And a beautiful beach for a swim.

(that’s enough Tides Mill - Ed)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Not so much about the south, but I realise now I'm up here, that when they talk about the south you know they're talking about you. Whereas when they talk about northern areas, it's never clear whether they're talking about the north of England, or Scotland, or northern Scotland, Leeds actually being very much in the south if you take the UK as a whole.

I regard Leeds as being very firmly down south :smile:

Also, I would observe that nobody north of about Nottingham ever seems to have any sense of anywhere down south being separate to anybody else, so Kent may as well be next to Dorset for all the difference it makes. In much the same way as southerners seem to think Carlisle is a suburb of Newcastle.

Only ever ask midlanders for directions.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Doubt those plastic cockernees had ever heard of the game,Sussex game for Sussex people. Slum clearance Newtown residents need not apply.

We had some mixed sex games against civilised Sussex people.

We kids of Crawley played stoolball at primary school. There was a small town here before 1950, it has always been in Sussex. Crawley also whipped most other Sussex towns at all kinds of amateur sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here