Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things about the South you have only just discovered

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Odd then that my cousin played against a Crawley team just recently. Still I 'm sure you feel better about yourself after that little rant.

I do actually but stating facts is hardly ranting. CTFC are struggling to attract support despite cutting season ticket prices, few people in a town of 100,000 odd people care, yet every Saturday thousands of them travel to London to support their family teams.
Brighton is often called London by the Sea. Crawley should be called London by default.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
In regards to Tide Mills and Arches. The Bishopstone railway bridge has various 'different' bricks within its structure. This dates back to WWII where, should the Germans have had invaded, then these bricks would have been withdrawn and then packed with explosives to blow the bridge.

Having just had a quick look on Google Street View, there's a load of different bricks under that bridge that I'm pretty sure are down to a shoddy repair job about 30years ago.

Some interesting bands across the arch on the north side of it, which is suprising on a rail bridge. Don't know if that's what you're referring to, it seems hugely excessive if they were going to use that much explosive. But also surprising if they just decided to include a pattern when it was built. Might just be a dodgy photo on street view.

Last edited:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Having just had a quick look on Google Street View, there's a load of different bricks under that bridge that I'm pretty sure are down to a shoddy repair job about 30years ago.

Some interesting bands across the arch on the East Side of it, which is suprising on a rail bridge. Don't know if that's what you're referring to, it seems hugely excessive if they were going to use that much explosive. But also surprising if they just decided to include a pattern when it was built. Might just be a dodgy photo on street view.

I think there's an information plaque somewhere attached to the bridge. I'll take a look next time I stroll by.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Neil Buchanan once owned a beach hut along Hove seafront, but was forced to sell it back to the council in 1994 after he painted it purple, and point blank refused to restore it back to the standard aqua green. The council filed a claim in the small claims court to cover the cost of restoring it, which Buchanan eventually settled. Buchanan still owns a property in Portslade, but he is to this day banned from walking along Hove promenade any further east than Grand Avenue.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Amberley Museum - went when I was a child on a school trip. Boring.

Now started going back with my littlelest one and it's great! Trains, buses, decent cafe, nice people, lots of different events. Membership very cheap as well. We became members after our first visit and have gone 8-10 times since, more than paid for itself probably 3-4 times over and makes a 2 hour trip worthwhile whereas you wouldn't do that for a day admission. I think I'm hooked.

https://www.amberleymuseum.co.uk/

If your kids are young enough, a season ticket for Drusilla's is worthwhile as you can similarly pop in for a couple of hours frequently :thumbsup:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Neil Buchanan once owned a beach hut along Hove seafront, but was forced to sell it back to the council in 1994 after he painted it purple, and point blank refused to restore it back to the standard aqua green. The council filed a claim in the small claims court to cover the cost of restoring it, which Buchanan eventually settled. Buchanan still owns a property in Portslade, but he is to this day banned from walking along Hove promenade any further east than Grand Avenue.

I don't know if you're pulling my leg or not, either way, that's awesome. :lolol:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Stoolball is a uniquely Sussex game

It is played in Surrey too. I used to watch it being played at North Holmwood Cricket Club when I lived in a house overlooking the pitch when I was little, and they had all the kit for playing it at my middle school - I think we even played it a couple of times too!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bernard Youens, Stan Ogden from Coronation Street, was born in Hove,Actually.

According to the Brighton Past page on FB he went to school at Connaught Road School in Hove for a couple of years before moving with his parents. He was born in Cowper Street.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Stoolball is unique in that it is played in every town with a population greater than 10k in the world.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Doubt those plastic cockernees had ever heard of the game,Sussex game for Sussex people. Slum clearance Newtown residents need not apply.

We had some mixed sex games against civilised Sussex people.
I played for a Crawley stoolball team in
a league. Played and lost every match, but at some lovely villages...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here