Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Based on knowing we wasted a lot of time and effort on Nunez and offed Muzza way too soon. Facts not BS. Grow up with the bed wetting comment BTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nunez will be one of several we were/are pursuing - you (nor I) have literally no idea how much effort is being expended on any of them - others may be taking much more effort, just lacking any publicity. We aren’t going to sign every player we want - if we ‘fail’, it’s only ‘wasted’ time and effort with the benefit of hindsight.

Muzza wouldn’t have got any game time this season.......absolutely right to let him go and play football, and get a large chunk of his wages covered - to fund others.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Hmmm. So you think our striker recruitment has been great over the last few Windows? Maopay good. Who else? Locadoa? Andone? Come on!

A week to go until our first game and we are an injury away from having 1 first team striker in the squad. You have every right to express concern, and deserve no ridicule. I am sure the club are looking to recruit but there is nothing so far to show for it. I'm not ordering any plastic sheets yet, but I am a little worried !!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Hmmm. So you think our striker recruitment has been great over the last few Windows? Maopay good. Who else? Locadoa? Andone? Come on!

Your right although I’m sure it’s not from a lack of trying, if your a next level striker your always going to go a champions league side as Núñez did. I’m confident this season all will be good as we haven’t been freeing up wages for nothing. Andone looked frustrated but does have talent ok he lost his head against Bournemouth yet the way CH treated him was appalling Murray could have 10 blanks and still in the team come Saturday.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I definitely agree with bw2s concern, we,desperately need an additional striker or two, it’s just too early in the window to rate the clubs transfer business.

The main problem is the window closes a month or so after the season starts. That makes an already difficult task even harder. It’ll likely go to the wire.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Based on knowing we wasted a lot of time and effort on Nunez and offed Muzza way too soon. Facts not BS. Grow up with the bed wetting comment BTW

Im not going to be one of them who jumps on you for getting frustrated. We all do at times. I get it.

But I will say mate, the Nunez statement above is a very simplistic, its also easy to claim we wasted time now he's at Benfica, but 5 days ago he wasn't, and the player even said when asked by a journo "I don't know anything about Benfica" and we were one of two clubs who were in the running with firm bids for someone who looks like they will be a massive star.

We had our clubs representatives over there (allegedly), who we can assume were doing their level best to try and secure a talented young striker and were acting in good faith, having scouted Nunez. If the agent or Almeria was using us to drive the price up (something that happens in this dirty game), it was they not acting in good faith and wasting out time, not our club. I would like to believe our club did its utmost to secure this promising and talented young striker, but when you're up against stiff competition and especially if player expresses an alternative preference very late in the day (4 days ago that became public). This can happen.

I dont for one second think we wasted time, I'm sure we did all we could for as long as it looked like we may be able to secure him. Its purely an assumption to think we were trying to get him after he said he wanted Benfica..... we may have already walked at that point for all anyone knows. But waste time is a bit baseless and without foundation.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Im not going to be one of them who jumps on you for getting frustrated. We all do at times. I get it.

But I will say mate, the Nunez statement above is a very simplistic, its also easy to claim we wasted time now he's at Benfica, but 5 days ago he wasn't, and the player even said when asked by a journo "I don't know anything about Benfica" and we were one of two clubs who were in the running with firm bids for someone who looks like they will be a massive star.

We had our clubs representatives over there (allegedly), who we can assume were doing their level best to try and secure a talented young striker and were acting in good faith, having scouted Nunez. If the agent or Almeria was using us to drive the price up (something that happens in this dirty game), it was they not acting in good faith and wasting out time, not our club. I would like to believe our club did its utmost to secure this promising and talented young striker, but when you're up against stiff competition and especially if player expresses an alternative preference very late in the day (4 days ago that became public). This can happen.

I dont for one second think we wasted time, I'm sure we did all we could for as long as it looked like we may be able to secure him. Its purely an assumption to think we were trying to get him after he said he wanted Benfica..... we may have already walked at that point for all anyone knows. But waste time is a bit baseless and without foundation.

That’s all fine and I’m sure he was a hot prospect but I definitely getting frustrated with the clubs approach to strikers. It’s like we think we are smarter than everyone else in this department. The likes of Wilson at Bournemouth, PL experience, recent international, is exactly the sort of stoker we should be in for. Clubs that are very likely to be in and around us already are making bids, where are we? Likewise someone like Watkins, just pay the money and get him in. The points we could lose before mid October by the time a new player is signed and settled in could be the difference between relegation or not.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Some teams are better at identifying and developing forward talent.

Some teams are better at identifying and developing defensive talent.

We are the latter.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Likewise someone like Watkins, just pay the money and get him in.

Pay the money how? The Albion will have lost £30m plus last season and don’t have unlimited funds.

Watkins is looking for £70k a week which would wreck the Albion’s pay structure and the fee is £22m for a player who has zero Premier League experience.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pay the money how? The Albion will have lost £30m plus last season and don’t have unlimited funds.

Watkins is looking for £70k a week which would wreck the Albion’s pay structure and the fee is £22m for a player who has zero Premier League experience.

If the 70k a week expected wages is true it would be absolute madness to even discuss bringing him here. There’s taking a gamble and there’s fecking up everything that the club has been built on. I have my doubts that we’d pay those wages for an established and proven PL striker.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

We'd have to up Maupay's wages to £70k a week for sure.

So an extra £70k per week on the wage bill becomes a chunk more.

We are definitely smarter than this.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Some teams are better at identifying and developing forward talent.

Some teams are better at identifying and developing defensive talent.

We are the latter.

It could also be that we value a good defence more than attack. Our record signing in the Championship was a defender, and our record signing so far in he Premier League has been a defender. We’ve also turned down huge bids, in both the a Championship and Premier League, for our best defensive talent.

This philosophy doesn’t seem to have done us too much harm in the 5 seasons that the current recruitment team have been in place.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Maybe if we can't get anybody in this week the club could promote the Swiss lad Lorent Tolaj just to cover our current 3 strikers we have? A decent prospect so I'm told.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Striker situation is what it is . Have to smile really . Finish the season and we all assume a couple in and 6 days until the season starts and we are in a weaker position with 2.

I’m sure we will get one by October .

In an ideal world I’m sure the club would of had all this sorted now and for whatever reason it isn’t . It’s not ideal but I’m hopeful something is sorted behind the scenes to be announced this week .

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Maybe if we can't get anybody in this week the club could promote the Swiss lad Lorent Tolaj just to cover our current 3 strikers we have? A decent prospect so I'm told.

Not sure an 18 year old that has only played a handful of games at U23 level is going to be ready for the Premier League! We have far better options within the senior squad, such as putting Propper in a more advanced position.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I definitely agree with bw2s concern, we,desperately need an additional striker or two, it’s just too early in the window to rate the clubs transfer business.

The main problem is the window closes a month or so after the season starts. That makes an already difficult task even harder. It’ll likely go to the wire.

As you say, not sure why so many are laying into said poster when he is merely expressing the concern most of us are currently feeling, albeit a little repetitively.

We are risk takers in that we never overspend on this incredibly in demand position, and so far those risks have paid off irrespective of how unconvincing and uncomfortable it has been. It’s also a risk to pay over the odds unless we are absolutely certain of prospective signing being the real deal and adapting/settling.

The club probably see it as I do, that we are already equipped enough to make a better go of it than last season and so why break the bank? It’s a question of ambition, if we had secured Núñez or the club pull out a marquee forward signing over the next 4 weeks then we can start believing the statements about pushing on higher up the table. If we don’t, then it will still be a less nerve wracking struggle than last season (hopefully).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That’s all fine and I’m sure he was a hot prospect but I definitely getting frustrated with the clubs approach to strikers. It’s like we think we are smarter than everyone else in this department. The likes of Wilson at Bournemouth, PL experience, recent international, is exactly the sort of stoker we should be in for. Clubs that are very likely to be in and around us already are making bids, where are we? Likewise someone like Watkins, just pay the money and get him in. The points we could lose before mid October by the time a new player is signed and settled in could be the difference between relegation or not.

£25-30 mill, and just “get him in”

Winstanley and Ashworth are paid decent wedge to scout and look at stacks of options. You think they’re not aware about Watkins or Wilson? We don’t know the exact profiles of the players sort after.

We are also notoriously secretive with everything. For all we know we could be in advanced negotiations with both?

Why haven’t they signed somewhere yet if was just as easy as click fingers and “get them in”?

btw Callum Wilson is 28, so we spend 25 million on him and how long a contract do we give? And that would make him how old after contract? How much is he then worth do you think?

“Exactly the type of striker” easy with someone else’s money isn’t it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If the 70k a week expected wages is true it would be absolute madness to even discuss bringing him here. There’s taking a gamble and there’s fecking up everything that the club has been built on. I have my doubts that we’d pay those wages for an established and proven PL striker.

Think the 70k figure is bollox. This article says he’s on 15k at Brentford (seems about right), and villa would treble to 45k which would make him villas highest earner.

https://www.givemesport.com/1597295-aston-villa-on-the-verge-of-securing-second-summer-signing

None of those figures I would suggest are our of our range, but is he that good?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here