Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What if we signed De Ligt or Donny Van Beek or Stephen Berwijn at PSV are they all crap too? Ridiculous to say all dutch players are shite, its just the ones we've signed lol. We are fishing around for bargains from the lesser lights so it is bound to be hit and miss. , Propper is decent enough and this kid will be development not 1st team

I haven't said that all dutch players are shite. It's the ones from the Eredivisie that we've signed that have been shite.
Our German signings have been 3/4: look there in future!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm usually very supportive of club, staff and player. Possibly to a fault.
But as long as the club keep doing relentlessly negative stuff (shirt, sponsor, manager, signings) then what's to be cheery about?

Ironically you seem happy enough with the negative football (the main reason CH was sacked) whilst moaning about the other negatives.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm usually very supportive of club, staff and player. Possibly to a fault.
But as long as the club keep doing relentlessly negative stuff (shirt, sponsor, manager, signings) then what's to be cheery about?

I haven't said that all dutch players are shite. It's the ones from the Eredivisie that we've signed that have been shite.

Well we haven't signed anyone from Holland (yet) but we have one from Belgium, a country I'd have down as 1.5 / 2 (Ryan and one season of Izquierdo before the injury) and a young British player with potential (not a dissimilar signing to Burn). The shirt is FINE. The back looks a bit shit but the front is great and the black away shirt is mint. We don't know that Potter will be better than CH, just that CH was struggling in the last five months of last season so much that he could have been said to have been the managerial equivalent of a Manu or Locadia at that point. And, yes, I KNOW he was the managerial equivalent of Chapionship era Murray or Knockaert before then.

Knock it off Morrissey.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes, is he Dutch?... because that is all that matters, according to TSB...

I don’t fully subscribe to TSB’s relentless negativity, but if we’re going to dig him out let’s be accurate, he’s not piling on Dutch players, he’s lamenting the general standard of players in the Eredivisie, regardless of nationality.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He would've been very very good.

We were late to the party it seems. I guess you don’t hold put for the best deal when you are trying to prise players away from the top teams, you either play ball on their terms or you lose out.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

The difference being the Bundesliga is a competitive league.

Unless you're signing players from Ajax then the Eredivisie is a gamble. I'd say even De Ligt etc are a gamble too tbh, despite their CL success this year.

The good Dutch players are usually fished out of that league when they're still very young.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The difference being the Bundesliga is a competitive league.

Unless you're signing players from Ajax then the Eredivisie is a gamble. I'd say even De Ligt etc are a gamble too tbh, despite their CL success this year.

The good Dutch players are usually fished out of that league when they're still very young.

One thing to note when talking about Ajax, of their 34 man squad, only 16 are Dutch.

And TSB is right to point out that not all Erevedisie players are crap.

Its like my old Nanna used to say, if the brambles taste like dogs piss, you need to try picking from the top of the Bush.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
One thing to note when talking about Ajax, of their 34 man squad, only 16 are Dutch.

And TSB is right to point out that not all Erevedisie players are crap.

Its like my old Nanna used to say, if the brambles taste like dogs piss, you need to try picking from the top of the Bush.

What if you can't afford to pick from the top of the bush?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

I don't want to add to the general TSB bashing but that even more ridiculous than the previous comment. So we have to avoid Eredivisie because we've signed some bad players? We had better avoid the football league too then as we've signed some shockers from there! :facepalm:

We have a plan to try and sign value from under recognised leagues. The idea is clever, the execution hasn't been to this point. However, what is the alternative? We cannot spend £100m on a player, we have an improving academy but its not producing 1st team players currently, the only other option is a big increase in budget which comes with significant risk and no guarantees. Personally, I'd prefer to see us buying more young english players as we clearly have some decent generations coming through but its not cheap and the rich clubs have the best talent tied up. (System is crooked IMO)

German league is good, as the football is more like ours but its more difficult to find value. Everyone is looking there, starting salaries for players are higher so persuading good young players to come is harder especially as their options are greater both locally and internationally. What we are doing is the only sustainable model currently but I agree we need to be doing better with the actual signings being made. Propper, Ryan, Bernardo and Gross have been good signings and we would see a profit if sold . Izzy, AJ, Locadia and Andone we'd lose money on if we sold them now. Others will come and go and the time to judge this will be in 3/4 years time. Does it pay for itself? are we still in the PL? and most importantly is the team better?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I don't want to add to the general TSB bashing but that even more ridiculous than the previous comment. So we have to avoid Eredivisie because we've signed some bad players? We had better avoid the football league too then as we've signed some shockers from there! :facepalm:

We have a plan to try and sign value from under recognised leagues. The idea is clever, the execution hasn't been to this point. However, what is the alternative? We cannot spend £100m on a player, we have an improving academy but its not producing 1st team players currently, the only other option is a big increase in budget which comes with significant risk and no guarantees. Personally, I'd prefer to see us buying more young english players as we clearly have some decent generations coming through but its not cheap and the rich clubs have the best talent tied up. (System is crooked IMO)

German league is good, as the football is more like ours but its more difficult to find value. Everyone is looking there, starting salaries for players are higher so persuading good young players to come is harder especially as their options are greater both locally and internationally. What we are doing is the only sustainable model currently but I agree we need to be doing better with the actual signings being made. Propper, Ryan, Bernardo and Gross have been good signings and we would see a profit if sold . Izzy, AJ, Locadia and Andone we'd lose money on if we sold them now. Others will come and go and the time to judge this will be in 3/4 years time. Does it pay for itself? are we still in the PL? and most importantly is the team better?

I think andone was a "snip" at 5M, l could be easy wrong tho

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think andone was a "snip" at 5M, l could be easy wrong tho

I think and hope you are right, but right now after only 3 goals last season there probably wouldn't be a big queue to buy him. Personally with a proper pre season and having hopefully settled in this country I expect him to do a lot better next season. He could easily go from £5m to £50m if he scored 20 in this mad market :D

I'll settle for 10...

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I think and hope you are right, but right now after only 3 goals last season there probably wouldn't be a big queue to buy him. Personally with a proper pre season and having hopefully settled in this country I expect him to do a lot better next season. He could easily go from £5m to £50m if he scored 20 in this mad market :D

I'll settle for 10...

If he starts most games, I'd be ecstatic with 15!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here