[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Seems those purporting to have an inside track are now suggesting that rather than "2 early this week" it is now "2 by the Crawley game"
I don't even know when that is but it ain't imminent

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Understand what you are saying and the evidence is there with Norwich, however, I think Hughton came with the remit last year of keeping us in the division by any means necessary.

I believe Bloom liked the football philosophy employed by Poyet, which was quite attractive at times IMO (I know others disagree), and I feel Bloom will have made it clear to Hughton upon his appointment that the passing philosophy and general attractive play must continue.

I really liked Poyet's basic philosophy but his inherent fear of losing took the edge off our attacking football and though we could be quite attractive knocking the ball around, it was mostly slow and predictable making sure we didn't concede possession but also allowing the opposition to get back and defend. Buckley on his day was the high spot of Poyet's reign for me as he ripped defences apart at pace, shame it didn't happen that often.

However the number of times we got caught on the counter having worked our way slowly up the field probably resulted in most of the goals we conceded under Poyet. How many games did the opposition have one chance and score against us, whilst we huffed and puffed to get a goal?

Anyway I'm not sure Hughton can get us playing like Poyet. I fear a hoof down the field will be the way forward this year, love to be wrong but I saw nothing apart from a couple of his early games to make me think Hughton encourages flair football. The way he shipped Colunga out when we had nothing better and brought in Leon Best has given me serious doubts, although of course he gets my full backing as he attempts to rebuild the team. I just don't have high expectations.

Not sure Bloom can influence that tbh.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Only 1 forward signed to date and accepting it being paper talk we seem to be working down the list for wide players of which I reckon we need 2. I, for one, will be disappointed and beginning to get concerned if no attacking additions are added to the squad before Lewes. The virtually new attacking unit required will take time and games to gel, we need to get cracking.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As I've been forced to say before, ask Birmingham or Newcastle fans whether Hughton is a negative / defensive manager.

I'd rather not bother but I'm guessing you're suggesting they'd say he's negative / defensive? My opinion is, we weren't negative under him particularly last season (maybe the odd game - same as any manger - see Chelsea/Mourinho). Another word that may be better suited is 'cautious' rather than the negative(!) word 'negative'. And again, is this necessarily a bad thing? (see what Hyypia tried to do with our full backs and also see Chelsea/Mourinho(sp) as good examples...

Poyet and Garcia always played one up front - most managers do these days. The world Cup and Champions League winners have done this before - I don't think that should determined a negative manager (as I think that is something most people accuse Hughton of and use 1 up tops as an example.)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd rather not bother but I'm guessing you're suggesting they'd say he's negative / defensive? My opinion is, we weren't negative under him particularly last season (maybe the odd game - same as any manger - see Chelsea/Mourinho). Another word that may be better suited is 'cautious' rather than the negative(!) word 'negative'. And again, is this necessarily a bad thing? (see what Hyypia tried to do with our full backs and also see Chelsea/Mourinho(sp) as good examples...

No, quite the opposite, both Brum and The Toon were free scoring and attack minded under Hughton. I feel the Norwich 'spin' on things has been taken as fact by some to bash the manager. Of course a team struggling in the Prem needs to be be cautious and adopt a no lose policy. It's very different from trying to get promotion TO the Prem though.

I hope we'll see that difference this season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No, quite the opposite, both Brum and The Toon were free scoring and attack minded under Hughton. I feel the Norwich 'spin' on things has been taken as fact by some to bash the manager. Of course a team struggling in the Prem needs to be be cautious and adopt a no lose policy. It's very different from trying to get promotion TO the Prem though.

I hope we'll see that difference this season.

Ah got ya - sorry. My memory of how teams did years ago isn't great. I assume you'd agree with me that we weren't particularly negative then? It does seem to come from (bitter) Norwich fans who blamed him for some other fella taking them down :lol: And I'm afraid, although they're entitled to their opinions, some Albion spouting this already had a pre conceived opinion of Hughton after reading the Norwich fans stuff...

Also, as someone else said, he took over a team very low on confidence and had to be a bit cautious to get us out the mess - right thing to do!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ah got ya - sorry. My memory of how teams did years ago isn't great. I assume you'd agree with me that we weren't particularly negative then? It does seem to come from (bitter) Norwich fans who blamed him for some other fella taking them down :lol: And I'm afraid, although they're entitled to their opinions, some Albion spouting this already had a pre conceived opinion of Hughton after reading the Norwich fans stuff...

Also, as someone else said, he took over a team very low on confidence and had to be a bit cautious to get us out the mess - right thing to do!

I tend to agree re the Norwich fans being bitter and having ideas way above their station BUT I know quite a few Norwich fans and all, without exception,are absolutely scathing about him, which does make me nervous...

Unfortunately I don't know any Birmingham or Newcastle fans to try and get a balance

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Seems those purporting to have an inside track are now suggesting that rather than "2 early this week" it is now "2 by the Crawley game"
I would say no one on hear has an inside track, infact I think sky sports were quicker of the mark than those ITK.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Who is saying this and where? Please give examples?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Not having this. My opinions on CH are based 100% on what I have seen with my own eyes. I don't give a toss what he did at Newcastle, Birmingham or Norwich.

On the evidence to date, since he joined, he is massively negative. Over-cautious beyond any reason., favouring SHAPE and DISCIPLINE over flair or creativity, every time.

I would LOVE it to be gloriously entertained, and have this post rammed back at me, in a few months time. I'll not be holding my breath though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not having this. My opinions on CH are based 100% on what I have seen with my own eyes. I don't give a toss what he did at Newcastle, Birmingham or Norwich.

On the evidence to date, since he joined, he is massively negative. Over-cautious beyond any reason., favouring SHAPE and DISCIPLINE over flair or creativity, every time.

I would LOVE it to be gloriously entertained, and have this post rammed back at me, in a few months time. I'll not be holding my breath though.

As I said, I wasn't saying all our fans who are saying this are blinkered by what they've been told before and I respect your opinion (and know it is based on what you've seen only) - but I think others are just going with the trend. I didn't see him as negative really. Cautious at times, but no different to Poyet playing 1 up tops and one winger.. And he didn't often get called negative and brought about our best era for ages. I don't think CH had much choice last year though, and had to be a bit cautious. I think judge him after this season...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Anyone who seriously judges Hughton on what happened the last couple of months of last season, when his already limited attacking options were affected by injuries to March and Baldock, is being very unfair. There were good games in the first few months e.g. Ipswich and Leeds but he had seriously poor resources and being defensive was probably the best approach.

To be honest, your constant moaning about Hughton suggests to me that you'd be really happy if he failed. Why not give him a chance rather than slagging him off every time you can (especially as usually you're quite a sensible poster on here and not one of the reactionary ones).

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Did what he could with the pile of shite squad he had.

Judge at end of next season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As I said, I wasn't saying all our fans who are saying this are blinkered by what they've been told before and I respect your opinion (and know it is based on what you've seen only) - but I think others are just going with the trend. I didn't see him as negative really. Cautious at times, but no different to Poyet playing 1 up tops and one winger.. And he didn't often get called negative and brought about our best era for ages. I don't think CH had much choice last year though, and had to be a bit cautious. I think judge him after this season...

Anyone who seriously judges Hughton on what happened the last couple of months of last season, when his already limited attacking options were affected by injuries to March and Baldock, is being very unfair. There were good games in the first few months e.g. Ipswich and Leeds but he had seriously poor resources and being defensive was probably the best approach.

To be honest, your constant moaning about Hughton suggests to me that you'd be really happy if he failed. Why not give him a chance rather than slagging him off every time you can (especially as usually you're quite a sensible poster on here and not one of the reactionary ones).

Did what he could with the pile of shite squad he had.

Judge at end of next season.

Well that's just it - I'm happy NOT to judge him (yet) and desperately do hope I'm proved wrong in my initial assessment.
Fwiw I was very pleased with the appointment. After three risky managerial appointments in a row, he looked a sensible safe pair of hands, for the tricky spot we were in.

From what we saw though, TOO safe. Putting sides out just to not lose, against poor, poor opposition, is very disappointing. The squad was limited, but he really didn't get the best from it.

Must do better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People seem to forget that he inherited a team low in coinfidence and ability facing probable relegation so he adopted the attitude he considered to be best to avoid that scenario. He did this and so lets wait to see how sets up the team this season and what he did at Birmingham, Norwich and Newcastle is very relevant as it is an indication of his methods and tactics. I am prepared to wait and see before passing judgement on him as I think he will be a success.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well that's just it - I'm happy NOT to judge him (yet) and desperately do hope I'm proved wrong in my initial assessment.
Fwiw I was very pleased with the appointment. After three risky managerial appointments in a row, he looked a sensible safe pair of hands, for the tricky spot we were in.

From what we saw though, TOO safe. Putting sides out just to not lose, against poor, poor opposition, is very disappointing. The squad was limited, but he really didn't get the best from it.

Must do better.

Not sure he had a lot of choice after he arrived with the injuries, shot confidence and precarious league position - one (and only I think) objective was to stay up, which he did a bit easier than I expected in the end. Big test this season though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports