Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Think you forgot about the players that have been promoted from the U21's and March and Crofts back, think no more than 2 or 3 in my opinion, happy to be wrong though, but a forward, creative winger or midfielder and defender should do it to make a very competitive squad.

As I mentioned earlier, the only comments from Hughton & Barber would suggest a minimum of 3 (Striker / Winger / Central Defender) but maybe others as well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

:lol: suprised others haven't jumped on that post tbh - made me chuckle. It's like those that tweet US Soccer Guy telling him he's spelt something wrong :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes, you can find them in the argus archives, and seagulls.co.uk

Look for quotes where CH says he has to replace 5 loan players, and 3/4 others whose contracts were not renewed.

Maenpaa clearly doesn't fit into that, so 8/9 to be replaced - 3 already signed = 5/6 more coming in.

He doesn't say that he "has to replace" those players. He merely says that they're no longer with us. Note also that Rea has been promoted from the DS.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Would be nice if it is today, but am I the only one who is expecting and will be disappointed if it is a CB? Needed and all that but not as important as other areas which need work. Am concerned that we still appear to be in the enquiry stage for wide players although the club have kept it business under the radar to date, lets hope the attacking players are as much of a surprise.

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Would be nice if it is today, but am I the only one who is expecting and will be disappointed if it is a CB? Needed and all that but not as important as other areas which need work. Am concerned that we still appear to be in the enquiry stage for wide players although the club have kept it business under the radar to date, lets hope the attacking players are as much of a surprise.

I'd be excited if it were a quality CB you knew was just going to walk into the first XI.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As I said yesterday, we must be close to a signing or two, as discussions would have been continuing whilst Chris and the boys were in The Alps. So, I'd hope at least one deal would be primed and ready to announce this week. Tuesday is a popular day.

So, yes, I'm going for the today, one on Thursday and one on Friday, in readiness for Lewes.

��

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I hope you are the only one. I think we need four players (a centre back, two wingers and a striker). I don't understand how you'd be underwhelmed if we signed one of them and improved our squad. Fair enough if you are underwhelmed by the player we sign but if it's one of the above positions and improves our squad, you should be pleased.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As I said yesterday, we must be close to a signing or two, as discussions would have been continuing whilst Chris and the boys were in The Alps. So, I'd hope at least one deal would be primed and ready to announce this week. Tuesday is a popular day.

So, yes, I'm going for the today, one on Thursday and one on Friday, in readiness for Lewes.

��

3 in by Lewes ( Striker, Winger, Central Defender ) would set us up nicely, with only 2 more ( At Mid Tex replacement, 2nd Winger ) needed before Forest - assuming O'Grady and Dunk don't leave and require further additions.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I hope you are the only one. I think we need four players (a centre back, two wingers and a striker). I don't understand how you'd be underwhelmed if we signed one of them and improved our squad. Fair enough if you are underwhelmed by the player we sign but if it's one of the above positions and improves our squad, you should be pleased.

Agreed. It is a position we need to fill, whether we do it sooner rather than later is irrelevant. If a CB signing improves the squad I'm all for it. Good teams are often built from the back and with the two full backs and the emergence of Rea this department is considerably stronger than it was this time last year, an additional CB should lock this part of the team up.

Whilst we are all hoping for a glamourous flair-o-naut to be added to the wings or up top these seem to be the positions that the longer to fill, wouldn't be surprised if it took until deadline week for these to be completed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Agreed. It is a position we need to fill, whether we do it sooner rather than later is irrelevant. If a CB signing improves the squad I'm all for it. Good teams are often built from the back and with the two full backs and the emergence of Rea this department is considerably stronger than it was this time last year, an additional CB should lock this part of the team up.

Whilst we are all hoping for a glamourous flair-o-naut to be added to the wings or up top these seem to be the positions that the longer to fill, wouldn't be surprised if it took until deadline week for these to be completed.

I absolutely agree, and would add that we normally go with 8 defenders in the squad, so with Rea's promotion and 1 more addition, Chicksen looks to be the spare 9th defender, and may well be loaned out or sold.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I absolutely agree, and would add that we normally go with 8 defenders in the squad, so with Rea's promotion and 1 more addition, Chicksen looks to be the spare 9th defender, and may well be loaned out or sold.

Indeed. Chicksen doesn't look like he will make it at this level. All that's keeping him here I think is that he is left footed so can offer emergency cover but I'm not sure that's enough or that Calde or Bruno wouldn't still be better playing on the wrong side if needed

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It has to be today, surely!!??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here