Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "There are a few who expect us to win because we are Brighton"

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Before lockdown he was blaming the fans for putting too much negative pressure on the team (the moaners and the tutters). Now this. I''m generally pro-Potter but think these comments about fans are a bit misguided however well intentioned they made be.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tbf, i have noticed our fanbase has become extremely snobbish towards others.

There’re definitely a NSC arrogance by some that unlike us, other clubs are heading for relegation, even before a ball is kicked each season, that we have a superior team and squad . Transfer spending by others deemed rubbish. West Ham, Stains, CP, Newcastle, Burnley always deemed no hopers ... then .... they’re not.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
'Unless I've missed something since I've been in Wales and Sweden, I don't think Brighton have ever been a top team or top performing team. I think when I came in, the season before they had 36 points.

Thanks for the sarcasm, Graham. Not sure beating West Brom is considered being a top team... Also, glad he recognizes the reason he has a job is because we expect an improvement from the previous manager, not the same bad results.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Our fanbase, or a few (likely very young) loudmouths on here, just like you find on any fans message board? I certainly don't know anyone who's snobbish towards other clubs
The amount of fans in our second season throwing shit at Burnleys play style while we played the exact same way shows that we seem to have an superiority complex. We're pretty brighton, we play pretty, we play near the coast in our pretty stadium. We're southern so better. West brom Leeds and Fulham were relegated before a ball was kicked. Everton shouldn't have beaten us even though they are looking like a very good side.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This season stinks of the Hyypiä debacle, team has a soft underbelly with a distinct lack of quality signings in key areas. GP is probably frustrated as we are but has to get in with it and is probably starting to feel the pressure.

It appears White had to be accommodated in the side regardless of what GP wanted (strange one) as yet I don’t see a £30m player, probably didn’t want March starting as wing back, the lad tries but let’s face it his final ball is generally crap. He definitely wanted a tall mobile striker didn’t get one hence Welbeck signed with the hope he will suddenly find a rich vain of goal scoring form (unlikely).

He has the makings of a good manager needs to learn to ignore the supporters moans and groans and get on with the job, string results together and he will be adored... until he gets big headed like they all do and start dreaming of bigger and better.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The amount of fans in our second season throwing shit at Burnleys play style while we played the exact same way shows that we seem to have an superiority complex. We're pretty brighton, we play pretty, we play near the coast in our pretty stadium. We're southern so better. West brom Leeds and Fulham were relegated before a ball was kicked. Everton shouldn't have beaten us even though they are looking like a very good side.

Arrogance or blue tinted specs? ... a section of Albion fans seem every season to deem a raft of other EPL clubs as relegation near certs who play awful football (clubs who know how to navigate season after season in the EPL), whilst we’ll be mid-table, quite possibly top 10.

The reality is that we’re perennial relegation candidates, which is completely understandable going by @El Pres’s player wage budget assessment.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Part of his job is to get the supporters on side and be as patient as they have been !! Supporters pay a good deal of money these days and he is handsomely rewarded. I am pretty sure our support is no worse than any other and probably better. He needs to ride with it, relax and show a bit of confidence rather than be prickly.

Personally I feel that he has had excellent support on NSC all things considered. The game is one of opinions. Get real GP.

Saying all that I believe he is head coach rather than manager and that is how he wants it. Perhaps that is an indication that his love is working with the players and that he has unease with supporter stuff etc. Oh dear.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Part of his job is to get the supporters on side and be as patient as they have been !! Supporters pay a good deal of money these days and he is handsomely rewarded. I am pretty sure our support is no worse than any other and probably better. He needs to ride with it, relax and show a bit of confidence rather than be prickly.

Personally I feel that he has had excellent support on NSC all things considered. The game is one of opinions. Get real GP.

Saying all that I believe he is head coach rather than manager and that is how he wants it. Perhaps that is an indication that his love is working with the players and that he has unease with supporter stuff etc. Oh dear.

NSC is just a sample. I’d hope that sensitive Potter stays away from social media, instead spending his efforts on getting us to win, with downtime forgetting about football.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

I agree we have fans who think like that, but it's a tiny minority. Football's tribal, every club has a small section of fans who think that way about their club - look at a section of the Leeds fans and how they acted on social media over the Ben White saga that wound up our fans, for example

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
People dont want context, they want something to get upset about. Dont spoil the fun.

Exactly. The shit that was posted across social media, not just NSC, that we ‘should be beating teams like West Brom’ is frankly embarrassing. On these boards, despite good performances so far this season, not beating West Brom is confirmation we’re going down. GP said ‘most fans’ so he means the majority, realise where we are, and we do. A few do expect us to win certain games and turn on the side when we don’t. GP is factually correct, whether he should be mentioning it or keeping it to himself is another matter.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Could not help contrasting Mr P with Spurs manager Moreno this morning. He squarely admitted they gave a poor performance and should have done better.
Our manager seems to be so guarded with the media, he can only speak in what seem to be rehearsed platitudes and stock phrases, like a defensive politician.
Please give us honesty. We would respect that. If , for example, Lallana could only last an hour then tell us ....we would understand.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I remember meeting Kevin Bremner in the George at Goring when Barry Lloyd’s team had lost the first 8 games, in 88/89, rooted to the bottom of the old Div 2, the striker told our group, “Someone has to be bottom of the League”
32 years on I’m still trying to fathom out his comment, maybe in 2052 a number of 50 something Albion fans will still be mulling over Potter’s quote?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Just watched the interview. Bit of a car crash, obviously feeling the pressure. Don't really need the Head Coach putting the team down, or its supporters.

Both him and Ashworth declared themselves very happy with the transfer window, so must be happy with the squad. Need to start delivering points. Monday really not good enough IMO.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"Sorry", GP is not going to turn into Mourinho. You wont see him abusing the team doctor, you wont see him blame the board, the refs and the players for all his shortcomings while at the same time sending the message that he himself is flawless and Gods gift to mankind. Its not happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here