Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "There are a few who expect us to win because we are Brighton"

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
There is expectation on him because of the absurd amount of hype (much of which the club have put out) about the Dan Ashworth project, his own brand of football and his young and exciting team with the RECORD points tally that we keep hearing about.

4 wins in 26. Not good enough at the mo.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
The fallout from a poor 35 mins has been pretty incredible given we still picked up a premier league point. We've been playing as well as I've seen us in the PL. It's not worked out points wise, but that is football. The overwhelming feeling seems to be we have to be beating a team like West Brom. How quickly we've come to being one of those sides that says that.

It's not that one game though, throughout the whole of this year we've not been able to buy a win and looked destined for relegation but were saved by lockdown.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A Premier League point against a Championship team. It was a huge opportunity for an easy three points which wasn't converted. It's a bad result after a minimum required draw at Palace, thanks to a late equaliser. West Brom will be relegated this season, because they're rubbish. If we have genuine ambition we should be wanting to beat them. The number of people who are happy with a draw amazes me.

We've had genuine ambition to beat every team we've played this season, and played well enough to do so. West Brom was a big loss of performance 2nd half. A draw was disappointing, but not to the extent that the manager and entire squad is crap and the number of people saying this shit amazes me.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I was very disappointed in the WBA result and performance, having said that, it's the worst I've seen us play in some time. You move on.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Lost a lot of respect for GP after that.

Essentially gaslighting BHA supporters rather than answering the question of why we were so poor against a team we probably should have beaten - if not, given a better go at.
No one here thinks we have a divine right to beat anyone in the Premier League.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's not that one game though, throughout the whole of this year we've not been able to buy a win and looked destined for relegation but were saved by lockdown.

Even before lockdown in 2020 we only lost 3 from 9 games. I was expecting the Arsenal result even before lockdown, that's just whether you are glass half full or empty. We never actually dropped into the bottom 5. Just how you look at football really, for many people doom and gloom is a habit, something to almost revel in that when the team does string a few poor results together, you were right all along.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
We've had genuine ambition to beat every team we've played this season, and played well enough to do so. West Brom was a big loss of performance 2nd half. A draw was disappointing, but not to the extent that the manager and entire squad is crap and the number of people saying this shit amazes me.

Personally, I think the criticism has been of Potter rather than the players as a whole. Obviously you get the odd criticism of an individual, but I think overall that the criticism has been of Potter and personally I think it's been proportionate to his performance in the job. He's set up to be very successful at this club but he's performing below-par for me at the moment. I'm not advocating sacking him, but I do want to see a reaction on the pitch.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Lost a lot of respect for GP after that.

Essentially gaslighting BHA supporters rather than answering the question of why we were so poor against a team we probably should have beaten - if not, given a better go at.
No one here thinks we have a divine right to beat anyone in the Premier League.
I don't think it was intentional gas lighting, his first sentence is continuing to manage expectations, but the expect to win comment is misjudged and would have been better to acknowledge that mistakes are made and cause frustrations. Probably not wise to blame the mythical Albion fan that's used to conquering the PL and Europe. Unless Ole's press script got swapped.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I don't think it was intentional gas lighting, his first sentence is continuing to manage expectations, but the expect to win comment is misjudged and would have been better to acknowledge that mistakes are made and cause frustrations. Probably not wise to blame the mythical Albion fan that's used to conquering the PL and Europe. Unless Ole's press script got swapped.

Mm, he did say it twice though.
I feel like he's made a couple of defensive comments because supporters are starting to question our 2020 record and most recent game.

Still unimpressed to be honest. Should have just held his hands up and simply said he'd gotten the subs wrong and we should have done (and will do) better.

I hope I'm wrong, as I want him (more-so us) to succeed.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Personally, I think the criticism has been of Potter rather than the players as a whole. Obviously you get the odd criticism of an individual, but I think overall that the criticism has been of Potter and personally I think it's been proportionate to his performance in the job. He's set up to be very successful at this club but he's performing below-par for me at the moment. I'm not advocating sacking him, but I do want to see a reaction on the pitch.

Managers have always been the easiest target for supporters. I think too many players had an off night, and the subs compounded it. GP has been quite proactive with subs generally, how many subs have scored under him I wonder? I think it's less about the manager and more about the players not making individual mistakes. We had a couple of chances on an absolute plate first half, guilt edged with a bow and ribbons, same as Dunk's header against Chelsea, chances against MU, Palace. We'll have to see as the season progresses. Seen enough so far to see we're a side that takes it to every team we come up against now.

Agree with you though, need to see a reaction on the pitch in the next few games. It is a results business.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
were loose

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
‪I don’t ‘expect us to win generally but when one goal up at home to a newly promoted team who haven’t won a game with ten minutes to go then yes I do expect us to win. Poor comments and you wonder if the pressure is getting to him. ‬

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well, quite :lol:

That out of the way, perhaps what GP is getting at is fans showing frustration at the lack of wins / results when playing well and / or in front. I think that's absolutely valid (from the fans). We are dropping far too many points from good performances or leading positions and conceding goals at the wrong time in games. Can't see the harm in pointing that out :shrug:

But, yeah, when I roll out of bed on match day in my stripey pyjamas my default thought is "can't see us getting much today...."

Its right up there with the value of pointing it out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Its right up there with the value of pointing it out.

Well the value is different, depending on where you point it out, and who to.

I doubt it's worth pointing it out to GP himself. I rather suspect he knows. But it has every place in a post match debate on a fans' message board.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
How does Graham know that fans think this? There's nobody at stadia?

Only possibility is that he's been looking on here or on twitter or something.

My advice to him would be to not bother. Online forums attract a lot of people trying to stand out from the crowd and will say increasingly outlandish things to cultivate or hold onto a particular image, which they think might get them attention.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the pressure is getting to GP and the team personally

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Quoting Andy Naylors Tweet there regarding exasperation in Potter's voice that most fans understand we are a team in development, but some expect us to win because we are Brighton. Is that reverse psychology or a distraction technique? I must say if I ever met a Brighton fan who expected us to win because we are Brighton...I might suggest they book an appointment with their GP (phone consulation only in current circumstances).

Hang on you can book an appointment with Graham Potter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here