Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst violence you have witnessed at a Brighton game ?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Never forget in the away end at White Hart Lane late 70s. Some Spurs nutcase had got in the away terrace, just sidled up to a Brighton fan in a blue and white scarf and headbutted him, right in front of where I was standing with my dad.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
If that was the 77/78 Div 2 clash, the Youtube highlights of the game are funny.

We had a great defence, and w**ker Perryman starts losing his rag with dirty little kicks, as we run the clock down.
Not the lovely cockney geyser & gent the London-biased tabloids made him out to be. Our team had some hardmen in it too, and didn't yield to the prick.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Shrewsbury
Lincoln
Chesterfield
Southend
Peterborough
Plymouth/Exeter
Grimsby
Northampton
Swindon
Aldershot
Bournemouth
Palace
Spurs
Orient
QPR
Walsall

All away in the last 10 years or so when there has been trouble, but nothing compared to previous years

Christ, I'd forgotten about most of those. I do remember Northampton, from the away end near the end of the game seeing a swarm of lads coming over the hill outside. Very pleased to see they were Brighton when we got out. Good days out in shit football times.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Seen loads of trouble over the years but I've been very lucky and only got caught twice. The Pompey one I said before were glasses were raining out of the delightfully named railway and rifle club, then got clumped on the back of the head by some Pompey oik. And the other getting hit by a riot shield by a met police arsehole while trying to get out of selhurst early. Shortly after the 5th goal went in.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I seem to remember that a load of bottles and half bricks being chucked from the pub nearby when we left, by West Ham..

Couldn't get back at them because of the blue line, and for at least 5 minutes everyone, including OB, having to take cover under the see through police sheilds.

There was one great moment as it first kicked off. Some hammer kiddie had an entire fencing panel in his arms. He lobbed it at oncoming albion fans. Managed to launch it about a foot. :)

You're right about missiles though. Out of nowhere all these wagons arrived and then just had to take shelter behind them.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Thinking back, I remember Leeds in the park at the goldstone. I remember some of us clambered up some trees and jumped on top of some leeds fans who were on the sidelines giving it big. That was all rather heated. funny thing was about 4/5 hours later we were all down the seafront drinking beers together.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Any of us in the North Stand in the 70s remember the drill. An infiltration at the NE corner followed by the younger Albion fans (14-16 years) bolting across the terrace followed by rival fans until sheer people volume combined with running into the older, nuttier Albion lads got the real punch ups started. The bigger the club and firm, the farther they got across the North until they met resistance. It was bloody war zone stuff and utterly frightening but strangely exciting. When you're in the wonderful surroundings of The Amex, even the curious presence of some throwback Neanderthals from Millwall doesn't make it anything like the complete madness of football violence in the 70s.
well put mate spot on

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Although Spurs and Millwall '78 were frightening, I think the worse I saw was the home game v Chelsea '83. a policeman got isolated amongst the Chelsea fans in the North Stand and I thought he was gonna get kicked to death. Anyone remember the away game v Oldham that season... Only game in the last 10 or so that we didn't win. At the final whistle hundreds of Oldham kids threatened to charge the Brighton fans. A rare event that day as we charged back and they ran off v quick.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Southend away first game of the season late 90's me thinks. All going of on the seafront that afternoon.

Aldershot away in the FA cup when we beat them 6-2.

Cardiff game at the Goldstone when we beat them 2-0. me and my cousin got chased from Hove park back to the station by about 20 of them. never run so fast in my life.

Palace pre season friendly in the mid 90's at the Goldstone. me and my mates the only Brighton fans on the train back to Haywards Heath. the OB on the train locked us in our own carriage for safety. The shit that came out of them windows at H. heath was scary. Bins, bottles, lightbulbs even a fire extingsuer.

Plymouth away in recent times was also abit scary.

One of my favourites was the trip back from Port Vale when we got promoted a few years back. the minibus i was in getting involved with a minibus full of Bristol City. Bottles and cans being exchanged as well hammered down the motorway. They followed us into Warwick services and soon f***ed off when they realised it was full of Brighton.

As for England away. Poland in 1999 was the most scared i've ever been in my life. Went off big style in Warsaw city centre on the tuesday night. Several english lads got stabbed and I ended up having to walk through warsaw on my own without a clue where i was. and with every Pole out to slaughter anybody English. the game itself we had fireworks, bricks and alsorts raining down on us for the 90 minutes. Plus the usual baton charge by the OB.

Sweden away in 1998 was another Saturday of madness.

Plus Euro 2000 in Belgium was intersting to say the least.

smoke grenade

Banned
Feb 3, 2012
Southend away first game of the season late 90's me thinks. All going of on the seafront that afternoon.

Aldershot away in the FA cup when we beat them 6-2.

Cardiff game at the Goldstone when we beat them 2-0. me and my cousin got chased from Hove park back to the station by about 20 of them. never run so fast in my life.

Palace pre season friendly in the mid 90's at the Goldstone. me and my mates the only Brighton fans on the train back to Haywards Heath. the OB on the train locked us in our own carriage for safety. The shit that came out of them windows at H. heath was scary. Bins, bottles, lightbulbs even a fire extingsuer.

Plymouth away in recent times was also abit scary.

One of my favourites was the trip back from Port Vale when we got promoted a few years back. the minibus i was in getting involved with a minibus full of Bristol City. Bottles and cans being exchanged as well hammered down the motorway. They followed us into Warwick services and soon f***ed off when they realised it was full of Brighton.

As for England away. Poland in 1999 was the most scared i've ever been in my life. Went off big style in Warsaw city centre on the tuesday night. Several english lads got stabbed and I ended up having to walk through warsaw on my own without a clue where i was. and with every Pole out to slaughter anybody English. the game itself we had fireworks, bricks and alsorts raining down on us for the 90 minutes. Plus the usual baton charge by the OB.

Sweden away in 1998 was another Saturday of madness.

Plus Euro 2000 in Belgium was intersting to say the least.

Saski park 1999?

Absolutely the early 70's. Maybe they weren't in the top division but they were higher than us. Terry Paine was still playing for them and I'm sure it finished 1-1. Some Saints monkey was about to swing a lump of wood at me when two OB grabbed each of his outstretched arms and lifted him up in the air and took him away

played them in a friendly 1970 lost 1-0 then next game 78 in div 2

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
no spurs defo a few brighton got locked in with them:moo: might have done the same to hammers?

Don't remember that but I remember Arsenal being locked in the subway to the beach before our first ever game in Div 1 (where we lost 4-0)
Remember Millwall coming down in 91 when we beat them in the play off semis - they were all in the South Stand waving copies of the Argus with the headline about "Millwall wreck Eastbourne" or something like that
Chelsea at the Goldstone in 83 was bad too as was Leeds in about 87 or so (? not sure of the date)
The worst I ever saw was at Palace - the last game of a season v Birmingham City who had been relegated already and all came down in fancy dress - about 15 minutes into the match all the away fans piled on to the pitch and made a beeline for where I was with my mate. I managed to climb a 10 foot fence to get out - I wasn't going to get involved especially as I didn't support them !

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We were on a coach coming back it was bricked from a bridge door kicked in and a fan a Brighton fan dragged out while the driver made a get away leaving the poor sod

Yes he was (I assume you were talking about the away game )

I wasn't allowed to go :(

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
On a personal level I was thoroughly beaten up and (according to witnesses) repeatedly kicked in the face whilst unconscious on the floor fellow by Brighton "fans" in September 1994 when I had left a wedding to see us draw with Oxford. I was wearing a half decent suit and I remember clear as day (as I tried to run for the shelter of "The Exchange") "SUIT ****, SUIT **** .... KILL HIM, KILL HIM KILL HIM" .... not nice

???
50494_89000836127_7919688_n.jpg

Jan 30, 2008
Port vale after the game, 5 of us v 10 of them, got put on my arse and had a few boots put in plus a bloodied nose ,still gave them a good go TOLD US THEY HAD HAD ENOUGH BY THE TIME WE ALL GOT TO THE STATION :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here