Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst midfielders in Albions history

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
I had a figure of £120k in mind for some reason ... which was a lot for us in thoses days. He was poor, very poor ...

I'm not sure whats up with people at the moment, players seem to get a lot of, what I believe, is underserved abuse. Tommy Fraser always gave his all, ok he may not have been up to this level, but he is by no means the worst midfielder we ever had.

That is what I originally thought but scaled it down on the fact that he was ludicrously bad. Im sure he did score one cracking goal although that may of been when he was at Rochdale. I also don't get it - you take someone like Peter Smith for example - not a talented player but gave 100% every game and because of that people liked him.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What about this tub o`lard

Warren Aspinall

Attachments

• 1558136.jpg
    1558136.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 66

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
That's what I love about this game, that opinions of the same player can be so polarised! I thought, for example, that Jasper was a modest player but had an uncanny knack of scoring goals, which for a midfielder is a blessing. He always seemed to score in the first 10 minutes as well, oddly.

Les Briley though, I'd certainly put up there - he should have retired before instead of coming to us, his legs had gone.

Minton, for me, did indeed stand out in a poor side - again, wasn't he top scorer with 6 goals during one of those shocking seasons in the late 90s? Very handy at the time.

Geoff Cooper - I know he played wide but for the purposes of this discussion I'm counting the middle four/five as midfielders, rather than just the central two/three. Totally out of his depth and, unlike Johnny Genius Crumplin whom I seem to remember we signed at the same time, not capable of sufficient improvement.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
may I add, rather controversially, Robbie Rienelt.

I'd personally say that whatever Reinelt's shortcomings may or may not have been, he should be granted a permanent exemption from any of these 'worst of' lists.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Seconded, Frutos. If he'd spent the entirety of the rest of his career here passing the ball to opponents and generally pissing about, he'd be granted exemption from criticism in my eyes.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You and David are clearly very initmate. Thanks for sharing, but let's stay on topic.

Steve Melton was distinctly average (with the odd flash of brilliance) and may I add, rather controversially, Robbie Rienelt.

That goal against Reading was flair.

He looked Ok in the Championship at times.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yup, what possessed Jimmy Case to shell out so much for Peake I'll never know, but like Farrington, the amount we spent on him has slightly clouded people's judgement on how shit he actually was.

I don't think the money paid for Farrington was a problem. More the fact that he was pony. Guess it didn't help that we'd just sold two quality strikers in Small and Nelson and that Byrne was soon to be leaving too, leaving him to lead the line in a relegation bound team. Course he was completely outshone by Mark Gall too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here