Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst midfielders in Albions history

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
'People' have been stating that Tommy Fraser is one of the worst midfielders to ever appear for the albion. Now ive only been watching the albion since 1987 but ive seen far worse...

For starters - Les Briley. Completley useless and incredibly slow.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Mark Fox. And what's worse was that he came complete with a crap striker - his brither Simon Fox.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We had some real pony ones while we were at Gillingham (and I'm not talking about Gislason) but TBH I can't really see beyond Peake - a shocking waste of money.

Fraser wouldn't make the top 30 of the worst (or should that be bottom 30)

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Valur Gislasson - Loan midfielder from the Gillingham days, he was pretty gash.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
We had some real pony ones while we were at Gillingham (and I'm not talking about Gislason) but TBH I can't really see beyond Peake - a shocking waste of money.

Fraser wouldn't make the top 30 of the worst (or should that be bottom 30)

Yup, what possessed Jimmy Case to shell out so much for Peake I'll never know, but like Farrington, the amount we spent on him has slightly clouded people's judgement on how shit he actually was. I did at least have a modicum of talent, which is more than can be said for the likes of Jasper, Darren Hughes, Darren Wilkinson, Paul Linger etc etc. To be fair, all of these were shitter than Peake and much shitter than Tommy Fraser.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
David Lee takes some beating !

You and David are clearly very initmate. Thanks for sharing, but let's stay on topic.

Steve Melton was distinctly average (with the odd flash of brilliance) and may I add, rather controversially, Robbie Rienelt.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yup, what possessed Jimmy Case to shell out so much for Peake I'll never know, but like Farrington, the amount we spent on him has slightly clouded people's judgement on how shit he actually was. I did at least have a modicum of talent, which is more than can be said for the likes of Jasper, Darren Hughes, Darren Wilkinson, Paul Linger etc etc. To be fair, all of these were shitter than Peake and much shitter than Tommy Fraser.

I think that's a fair point - I did see Peake score a good goal for us - his only one I believe. But he cost a fair bit of money for a player that was distinctly average. (I agree that Farrington was not as bad as people remember too, and he didn't cost a lot of money, £60,000 was nothing to a side that had just missed out on the top division, Peake, I believe was more).

But yes, there are some horror names in your list - you can Paul Armstrong to that list too - they were worse than Peake but they didn't cost a cash-strapped club dear.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
I think that's a fair point - I did see Peake score a good goal for us - his only one I believe. But he cost a fair bit of money for a player that was distinctly average. (I agree that Farrington was not as bad as people remember too, and he didn't cost a lot of money, £60,000 was nothing to a side that had just missed out on the top division, Peake, I believe was more).

But yes, there are some horror names in your list - you can Paul Armstrong to that list too - they were worse than Peake but they didn't cost a cash-strapped club dear.

Peake cost around 75k if I remember rightly

Because Fraser was passionate, and got into almost every match instead of hiding somewhere, he's been pilloried by Albion fans.
(What do they know, they still think Elphick is a great defender!).

Fraser was let go, to many people's surprise, but because of laddish attitudes to drinking - not because he was inadequate as a player.

Stumpy Tim

Steve Melton was distinctly average (with the odd flash of brilliance) .
Melton was a decent player, and played quite a few games when we went up under Taylor into the Championship. Given we spent two seasons at the bottom of the bottom football league I don't think it's fair to put him (or indeed Tommy) in a list of our worst midfielders

Jeff Minton was the most overrated midfielder we had

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Jeff Minton was the most overrated midfielder we had

I disagree (sort of) Minton is generally acknowledged as a average/poor player in a shockingly poor team. Therefore he was the star. Not many people would ever say that he was good. Therefore IMHO he was/is not overrated.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I disagree (sort of) Minton is generally acknowledged as a average/poor player in a shockingly poor team. Therefore he was the star. Not many people would ever say that he was good. Therefore IMHO he was/is not overrated.

At the time, a lot of people thought he was the business (including himself, and including Nobby Horton who signed him for PV when they were in the Championship). I think he was a good(ish) player and certainly better than anything else we had at the time, but a bit of an arrogant twat as well.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Peake cost around 75k if I remember rightly

I had a figure of £120k in mind for some reason ... which was a lot for us in thoses days. He was poor, very poor ...

I'm not sure whats up with people at the moment, players seem to get a lot of, what I believe, is underserved abuse. Tommy Fraser always gave his all, ok he may not have been up to this level, but he is by no means the worst midfielder we ever had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here