Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The whole thing still stinks!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Just been told by a Czech football fanatic, that Vydra has gone to WBA...I missed that one, when did that happen, or has he been reading 'football rumours'?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's bending the rules. Within the rules but far, far from the spirit. But when was a football club last run for anything other than money? Frankly it stinks. A promotion place that would have been filled by a team who do play within the rules will be taken by these people. Disgusting.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giampaolo_Pozzo

Giampaolo Pozzo bought Udinese Calcio in July 1986. After a betting scandal, the team was demoted to Serie B; and a nine point deduction in the Serie A championship of 1986/1987 after winning promotion. This ultimately led to relegation once more to Serie B despite the acquisition of several prominent players Francesco Graziani, Fulvio Collovati and Daniel Bertoni among others.
After a poor season in 1987/1988, Pozzo engaged Nedo Sonetti as coach with several prominent signings such as Antonio De Vitis, Giuseppe Minaudo, Angelo Orlando, Settimio Lucci, Antonio Paganin, Zennoni, Giuseppe Catalano, Marco Branca and Claudio Garella. Udinese earned promotion with this squad.
In 1990, a phone call between Pozzo and the president of S.S. Lazio team just before a match was alleged to be proof of match fixing. Despite a robust defence Pozzo was banned from holding authority at Udinese. He however remained owner.

What great owners they seem to be honest as the day is long!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To hide the bulk of the cost in the sister club's accounts. Much lower cost to Watford - meaning they can 'afford' players that their income should not be able to finance within FFP rules.

I believe Man City were paying about 80k per week of Wayne Bridge's wages when he was here- is that not acceptable under FFP now?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giampaolo_Pozzo

Giampaolo Pozzo bought Udinese Calcio in July 1986. After a betting scandal, the team was demoted to Serie B; and a nine point deduction in the Serie A championship of 1986/1987 after winning promotion. This ultimately led to relegation once more to Serie B despite the acquisition of several prominent players Francesco Graziani, Fulvio Collovati and Daniel Bertoni among others.
After a poor season in 1987/1988, Pozzo engaged Nedo Sonetti as coach with several prominent signings such as Antonio De Vitis, Giuseppe Minaudo, Angelo Orlando, Settimio Lucci, Antonio Paganin, Zennoni, Giuseppe Catalano, Marco Branca and Claudio Garella. Udinese earned promotion with this squad.
In 1990, a phone call between Pozzo and the president of S.S. Lazio team just before a match was alleged to be proof of match fixing. Despite a robust defence Pozzo was banned from holding authority at Udinese. He however remained owner.

What great owners they seem to be, honest as the day is long!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why is NSC so slow today?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Theres no way Watford, with their 13000 crowds and appropriately limited income could finance these signings without smashing the FFP regulations. I pretty much guarantee you Udinese and Grenada are taking the hit on transfer and signing on fees and possibly even part of the wages leaving Watford with minimal outlay.They can therefore sign more, better quality players at very little cost, canter to promotion and the pozzos have £millions of premier league cash in their hands. At that point they could pay themselves out a nice little bonus(a la oysten at blackpool) sell the now desirable prem club for a considerable profit and disappear back to Italy whilst Watford slide back into oblivion.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Theres no way Watford, with their 13000 crowds and appropriately limited income could finance these signings without smashing the FFP regulations. I pretty much guarantee you Udinese and Grenada are taking the hit on transfer and signing on fees and possibly even part of the wages leaving Watford with minimal outlay.They can therefore sign more better quality players at very little cost, canter to promotion and the pozzos have £millions of premier league cash in their hands. At that point they could pay themselves out a nice little bonus(a la oysten at blackpool) sell the now desirable prem club for a considerable profit and disappear back to Italy whilst Watford slide back into oblivion.

Nicely summarised for a financial non-expert like me. Ta.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I believe Man City were paying about 80k per week of Wayne Bridge's wages when he was here- is that not acceptable under FFP now?

Theres a difference between having a loan with most of his wages paid by the parent club and being given an entire side plus a couple of subs for free.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea

of course it's acceptable, but putting it into context it would be like Udinese buying Wayne bridge and paying 80k of his wages and loaning him to Watford who will pay and report only 10k in their books , the owners of watford are paying his whole wages but Watford technically aren't

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Theres no way Watford, with their 13000 crowds and appropriately limited income could finance these signings without smashing the FFP regulations. I pretty much guarantee you Udinese and Grenada are taking the hit on transfer and signing on fees and possibly even part of the wages leaving Watford with minimal outlay.They can therefore sign more, better quality players at very little cost, canter to promotion and the pozzos have £millions of premier league cash in their hands. At that point they could pay themselves out a nice little bonus(a la oysten at blackpool) sell the now desirable prem club for a considerable profit and disappear back to Italy whilst Watford slide back into oblivion.

Would be great if that happened, I'd love to see them in league 1/2 in a few years and no money to spend

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Theres a difference between having a loan with most of his wages paid by the parent club and being given an entire side plus a couple of subs for free.

It was a genuine question, I was asking whether that sort of arrangement had been either outlawed or rendered unlikely by FFP. I have no idea.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I don't think I'd be best pleased if I was a fan of Udinese/Granada

The Pozzos have done pretty much the same thing at Grenada taking them from 3rd division to la liga on the back of Udinese loans

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
rather than getting annoyed about it, we should be asking why we, or rather Bloom, isnt doing something similar. could find clubs in spain, east europe, south america and channel local talent through them just like some clubs have always done through informal feeder clubs arrangments. Udinese have been very sucessfull on the pitch and on the balance sheet, so shirely theres something to this model? some might not like it but i'd rather be at the vanguard of multiple club ownership, cant be long till other use this approach.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is it me or is this all sounding a bit Godfather?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here