Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The "we drew at Fulham" poll...

At Fulham, did we...

• Earn one point

Votes: 139 47.9%
  • Drop two points

Votes: 151 52.1%

• Total voters

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I voted 'dropped two points', but at the same time, I am happy with the point and would have taken a point if it were offered before the match.

It just feels that we had our opportunities and didn't take them... it was a match we could (and perhaps should...) have won.

My mojo is veering between optimistic and pessimistic... on the one hand we are not getting results, on the other hand we look not too far off being a good team.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Definitely a point gained and great to have a clean sheet. Only 9 more wins from the last 25 games and we should survive. Sunday will be the first of those.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Two points dropped.

A sluggish first half followed by about 30mins of excellent attacking football and a couple of brilliant Sanchez saves.

What did we get for that?

Dunk missed three good chances.
Webster hit the bar with the ball deflecting down (but obviously not over).
A rightly disallowed goal from VAR after an unintentional handball.
Lots of corners.

We are going through the worst period of luck that I can remember. At least ALL shots on target from the opposition are not going in now (thanks to Sanchez to some extent). The hard of thinking will no doubt blame Potter but we’re still creating great chances, we just can’t score. Ever.

2 points dropped, we should be winning these away games against teams outside the top six.

Given the opportunities to score missed, Fulham got away with that so two dropped for me too.

Whilst it was great to see Dunk well up for it, he should not be our biggest threat over the full game.

Neither clubs can afford to miss excellent chances. How Wellbeck missed I'll never know. When RLC was through I thought it was all over.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Both

a point earned in a tough battling kind of game

Also 2 dropped given we were sliughtly better, had one dissalowed, hit the bar, missed a sitter etc.

very positive forward step defensively, more stagnant piss up front.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
point away always acceptable but Fulhamlook a terrible side ( but are fighting for each other) , we looked marginally better.

Pretty sure most sides what of got a result if they played that version of Fulham last night so voted 2 dropped

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A draw away is always a point gained but the quality was so poor it didn't feel earned as much as forced. Like watching kids on the school playground in the first half, so little space. We're already at "needs must" I think.

Had we had taken 1 of several presentable chances, we’d likely be saying it was a good tactical display, keep the opposition at arms length through the first half, creating the best of the chances, then coming out for an offensive second half. Of course we didn’t score, Dunk x2, Webster, Welbeck, Trossard all missed chances that should result in goals. Countless others made individual errors in over crossing, miss place passes from other very good positions. So it’s labeled a ‘needs must’ performance.

It seems it’s clear to everyone apart from a small contingent of Brighton fans; we’re actually playing well, we are consistently positive, attacking, and looking to make good use of possession, BUT we simply aren’t taking chances or making telling final 3rd passes.

Last night, tactically I thought we were more direct than the West Brom / Burnley games where we were guilty of over playing. The stats will probably show we put in more crosses than previous games (I’ll have to check that...). In the end it comes down to quality. If we break our wage structure and double our highest earning salary to £100k per week, we perhaps have Callum Wilson finishing one of those chances. We don’t, we took a punt on an injury prone striker finding his way back into some kind of form.

It wasn’t like watching school kids in a playground first half - it was 2 well drilled disciplined teams struggling with confidence, not wanting to make an early mistake, cancelling each other out. Taking a fan hat off, you could probably use the first half as an analysis of defensive tactical discipline from both teams given both teams were prone to giving the ball away.

Had we not created any chances, and we’re talking gilt edge should be scoring at this level chances, then I’d be worried and thinking where are we going wrong tactically. Last night wasn’t a worry tactically, it was a question of individual quality. Take our defeat to Southampton, one presentable cross all game and they score from it. I think we had 4 last night of equal difficulty to the Saints goal and we fluff all 4. That’s the difference at this level, Southampton are top5 because they have been taking those, we are where we are not through poor management, but because we haven’t.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Had we had taken 1 of several presentable chances, we’d likely be saying it was a good tactical display, keep the opposition at arms length through the first half, creating the best of the chances, then coming out for an offensive second half. Of course we didn’t score, Dunk x2, Webster, Welbeck, Trossard all missed chances that should result in goals. Countless others made individual errors in over crossing, miss place passes from other very good positions. So it’s labeled a ‘needs must’ performance.

It seems it’s clear to everyone apart from a small contingent of Brighton fans; we’re actually playing well, we are consistently positive, attacking, and looking to make good use of possession, BUT we simply aren’t taking chances or making telling final 3rd passes.

Last night, tactically I thought we were more direct than the West Brom / Burnley games where we were guilty of over playing. The stats will probably show we put in more crosses than previous games (I’ll have to check that...). In the end it comes down to quality. If we break our wage structure and double our highest earning salary to £100k per week, we perhaps have Callum Wilson finishing one of those chances. We don’t, we took a punt on an injury prone striker finding his way back into some kind of form.

It wasn’t like watching school kids in a playground first half - it was 2 well drilled disciplined teams struggling with confidence, not wanting to make an early mistake, cancelling each other out. Taking a fan hat off, you could probably use the first half as an analysis of defensive tactical discipline from both teams given both teams were prone to giving the ball away.

Had we not created any chances, and we’re talking gilt edge should be scoring at this level chances, then I’d be worried and thinking where are we going wrong tactically. Last night wasn’t a worry tactically, it was a question of individual quality. Take our defeat to Southampton, one presentable cross all game and they score from it. I think we had 4 last night of equal difficulty to the Saints goal and we fluff all 4. That’s the difference at this level, Southampton are top5 because they have been taking those, we are where we are not through poor management, but because we haven’t.

I concur

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think many are very harsh on our performance. Fulham have just beaten Leicester, Outplayed West Ham and were very unlucky not to beat Liverpool. I feared the worst last night and Lookman who has looked a world beater hardly got a kick. Many times am a critic of Potter but last night for first time for many games our defence looked secure and at same time created some chances. This did come at expense of attacking flair and Lalana, Alzate and Trossard all played much deeper. Lampty also took more responsibility for defensive duties which allowed White to stay central. Attacking wise didnt help that so many long balls to Welbeck were just headed away. Couldnt understand why more were not played to feet or chest. Am sure Sheffield will set up to defend and break so hopefully will be able to give it more of a go

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
2 points dropped.

Simply because he threw the Leicester game and rested his big players for this one. Three points from two games I could accept. One point from two games, not so much.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

All of this.

That was a good display last night away to a decent, massively improved side. Unfortunately some people are so entrenched in their belief that we're poor, Potter isn't up to it and we're going down etc that they can't take the blinkers off and refuse to see that.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Usually a point away would be good against anyone , not for me this time , 2 dropped, all over them for 20 minutes without scoring and could of perhaps should of lost it if not for some excellent keeping from Sanchez, who by the way looks like a Keeper .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Well. At some point not taking your chances is poor management. Why aren't we able to coach finishing, to work on that final ball, find the killer space?

And giving the ball away in the first half is what I'm on about with my playground analogy. It was caused by both sides defending well and closing space, and by both sides matching up formation wise, plus a tight pitch. Obviously the cause is Parker and Potter's tactics but the look of the game was very, very poor as a result. Good job all the neutrals were watching Liverpool v Spurs.

Agree we created the better chances and could have won. We've done that very many times this season as well, I'm not going to argue with that. But at this point I refer you back to paragraph one. Playing nicely and not scoring will see you go down. Something has to change. Whether it is Potter bringing in an attacking coach, whether it is signing a striker of the calibre of Wilson, or better, whether it is just luck, we can't carry on dreaming of what might have been for 38 games.

But, as I said, a point won last night. Drawing away is fine so long as our home form turns round.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Two Championship sides playing in the wrong division .... for now

This makes no sense to me whatsoever

We are in the premier league on merit and staying up each season on merit so we are simply poor prem team at the moment, with a lot of work to do

You know when you get a school report and it says could do better its a bit like that. Not like you are so crap you are in the wrong year

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well. At some point not taking your chances is poor management. Why aren't we able to coach finishing, to work on that final ball, find the killer space?

No it isn't. It is the easiest person for fans to blame. You can only coach to a certain point - it then is down to the player, their quality and ability. Sorry, but you make it sound like with the right coach, I could have been a professional footballer - if it is all down to coaching and unlimited improvement.

And giving the ball away in the first half is what I'm on about with my playground analogy. It was caused by both sides defending well and closing space, and by both sides matching up formation wise, plus a tight pitch. Obviously the cause is Parker and Potter's tactics but the look of the game was very, very poor as a result. Good job all the neutrals were watching Liverpool v Spurs.

Playground to me is a load of kids running around after the ball. I've not seen many playgrounds where they keep a good tactical shape. :)

Agree we created the better chances and could have won. We've done that very many times this season as well, I'm not going to argue with that. But at this point I refer you back to paragraph one. Playing nicely and not scoring will see you go down. Something has to change. Whether it is Potter bringing in an attacking coach, whether it is signing a striker of the calibre of Wilson, or better, whether it is just luck, we can't carry on dreaming of what might have been for 38 games.

But, as I said, a point won last night. Drawing away is fine so long as our home form turns round.

Form comes and goes. Those doing well now may not have great form over January - March (we've been there!!). Seasons are made up of batches of games. Not scoring will see you down - it doesn't really matter how you are playing. BUT crucially with 25 games left, if you are going to start scoring you have to be playing well and creating chances. If you are creating chances and playing well, then you not far off the scoring part. If you aren't creating any chances, or playing well/nicely, then there is a lot more to fix.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No points would have been a disaster.

Lot of people saying how bad it was but it looked like many of the games we played in first to seasons in PL...

As has been pointed out elsewhere this Fulham team has been radically changed since start of season when it was shipping goals.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Earned a good point. It's stupid to suggest we dropped 2 as we were not winning the game at any stage and never had those points, if we'd thrown away a lead then maybe but we didn't. Point earned.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No it isn't. It is the easiest person for fans to blame. You can only coach to a certain point - it then is down to the player, their quality and ability. Sorry, but you make it sound like with the right coach, I could have been a professional footballer - if it is all down to coaching and unlimited improvement.

Not my intention.

My point is that you can have one, two or even five or so games where you are just simply unlucky or the striker chooses the wrong option. But a whole season? That's a massive issue. Either in coaching, or in recruitment or, more likely, a disconnect between the two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here