Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The War on Britain's Roads - BBC1

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How would that help? Cars have these things and still manage to crash into each other all over the place.

If they do crash, there is recompense , costs can be covered, damage can be paid for, healthcare fees can be paid.
If found guilty of traffic violations, as well as fines, then insurance costs increase as a consequence to cover the increased risk created by a bad road user.
VED (road tax in other words) is used to contribute to the exchequers funding, so there is no reason whatsoever why all cyclists who use the roads shouldn't pay some form of duty.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If they do crash, there is recompense , costs can be covered, damage can be paid for, healthcare fees can be paid.
If found guilty of traffic violations, as well as fines, then insurance costs increase as a consequence to cover the increased risk created by a bad road user.
VED (road tax in other words) is used to contribute to the exchequers funding, so there is no reason whatsoever why all cyclists who use the roads shouldn't pay some form of duty.

Well said, could not have put it better myself :thumbsup:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

I'd be more than happy to pay VED for cycling, based on the current CO2 emissions system. I also ride with 3rd party insurance for the princely sum of £30 a year paid to British Cycling. Free legal assistance too.

The 'road tax' stick is far too often used to suggest cyclists evade this tax. It simply doesn't exist for bicycles.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
How would that help? Cars have these things and still manage to crash into each other all over the place.

in some ways I find it an insult to actually have to answer this question. 'These Things' mean you are recognisable and are therefore subject to the law if identified. Moron. Compulsion to register equals checkable details. Like maybe bikes should have a reg number? Maybe?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
in some ways I find it an insult to actually have to answer this question. 'These Things' mean you are recognisable and are therefore subject to the law if identified. Moron. Compulsion to register equals checkable details. Like maybe bikes should have a reg number? Maybe?

So a pedestrian doesn't pay tax to use the pavement. Does that mean that they are not subject to the law. MORON.

Also, a G-Whizz (as much as it's a pile of steaming horse shit) doesn't PAY VED. Does that mean it can speed (no laughing) or mow people down without fear of any recompense? Of course not. The fact that VED is based on emissions makes your argument pointless.

Last edited:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

And yet no bad behaviour is prevented. EVERYBODY is subject to the law already. People still drive without tax and insurance, and most of them aren't caught.

As I said earlier, if people stop behaving like dicks on the road (however they travel) then everyone's life would be easier, safer and much more pleasant.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It says 'coming soon' on the i-player site, so I'd expect it 'soon', whatever that means!
Be aware it could arrive inside or outside you depending on the traffic.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ok, cheers I'll await with interest.

I managed to watch it on iplayer on a sort of live rewind, tuned in at around 9.55pm. I just checked for a link for you to see if you could do the same now by getting bbc one live on there but it will only rewind back 2 hours so you'd come in half way through. Looks like you'll have to wait for it to go up in it's own right ( probably tomorrow).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the programme was more a reflection on the sad decline of the BBC, which I love.

It was basically an hour of x-rated bicycle You've Been Framed.

The point, that's obvious to everyone already, was made in 5 mins and drawn out over the next 55.
Desperately using the grief of a mother to try and give the programme credibility.

Where were the answers?
Where was the expert opinion?
Where was the positives?

The programme could have gone to Copenhagen, and studied the very best in cycle safety.
A 20 mile cycling 'super highway' in and out of the city, totally away from any car or pedestrian.

What about Amsterdam, where large areas are shut off to motor vehicles.

Portland Oregon, Boulder Colorado, I'd imagine our Aussie posters could chip in with a city or two, where cycling has become king.

Perhaps going to Washington or New York to see how equally sized cities are dealing with an explosion of cyclists.

It could have been an intelligent kick start to the debate this country has to have, because people are KILLED DAILY, on the roads.
Instead we get the lowest denominator, just to get everyone (myself included) frothing at the mouth with rabid anger.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Just caught the end of this to see them idiots riding through London hell for leather weaving in and out of traffic and pedestrians often on the wrong side of the road.unbelievable.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I So the fault from what I see is 50/50

You are probably quite right, but from what I see the damaged and hurt will be more like 99/1 to the cyclists. So cyclists should be suoper aware when riding, 'cos they aim't likely gonna hurt a car driver

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here