Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Anyone with knowledge in this sort of thing know when the next update is likely

It’s all gone quiet, hasn’t it?

I wonder if it’ll soon go down the same memory hole as the Covid home test kits that Amazon and Boots were supposedly going to sell in early summer?

I hope not, but when things seem too good to be true...

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

I'm very much pro-vaccine, but I don't like the idea of this becoming 'mandatory'. I'm about to find myself guilty of using one of 2020's buzzwords, but that kind of draconian enforcement really doesn't suit Western societies.

I've been surprised by how many people I've spoken to have said they don't want to receive the vaccine, with views ranging from legitimate concerns about the safety of something rolled off the production line so quickly to a genuine belief that this whole thing is a Bill Gates-led conspiracy, and the 'vaccine' is merely the final part in his dastardly scheme. I'm not necessarily talking about people I'd ordinarily consider to be total fruit loops either.

I can totally understand why there's scepticism about such a quickly produced, brand new vaccine and even before all of this we were living in the age of disinformation. The government shouldn't be mandating - they should be educating.

Explain to people why we can be confident this vaccine is safe. How science was able to significantly shorten the development timeline, without cutting corners. Explain to people the huge economic and societal benefits it brings when embraced collectively by the nation, versus the miniscule risk to each individual person. Debunk the myths and the lies, firmly and robustly.

Give people the full spectrum of information and let people decide for themselves. That should be enough to get a substantial proportion of the population immunised - if it isn't, by all means then look at softer measures such as requiring the vaccine to travel, to attend large public events like football matches, concerts and so on. Nudge, don't force.

Trust in this government must be approaching an all-time low; we don't need to be making things any harder for ourselves.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I'm very much pro-vaccine, but I don't like the idea of this becoming 'mandatory'. I'm about to find myself guilty of using one of 2020's buzzwords, but that kind of draconian enforcement really doesn't suit Western societies.

I've been surprised by how many people I've spoken to have said they don't want to receive the vaccine, with views ranging from legitimate concerns about the safety of something rolled off the production line so quickly to a genuine belief that this whole thing is a Bill Gates-led conspiracy, and the 'vaccine' is merely the final part in his dastardly scheme. I'm not necessarily talking about people I'd ordinarily consider to be total fruit loops either.

I can totally understand why there's scepticism about such a quickly produced, brand new vaccine and even before all of this we were living in the age of disinformation. The government shouldn't be mandating - they should be educating.

Explain to people why we can be confident this vaccine is safe. How science was able to significantly shorten the development timeline, without cutting corners. Explain to people the huge economic and societal benefits it brings when embraced collectively by the nation, versus the miniscule risk to each individual person. Debunk the myths and the lies, firmly and robustly.

Give people the full spectrum of information and let people decide for themselves. That should be enough to get a substantial proportion of the population immunised - if it isn't, by all means then look at softer measures such as requiring the vaccine to travel, to attend large public events like football matches, concerts and so on. Nudge, don't force.

Trust in this government must be approaching an all-time low; we don't need to be making things any harder for ourselves.

It would have to go through Parliament and then there would be endless legal challenges. Not sure how it could be enforced.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im throughly enjoying the prospect of major services insisting on vaccine, such as stadiums, cinemas, air travel, may be Wales. no government mandated, just necessary for a lot of things. watch the antivaxers cry while the same time spoiling the core of their conspiracy.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It would have to go through Parliament and then there would be endless legal challenges. Not sure how it could be enforced.

It can’t, in reality. In fairness, Hancock was asked whether he would rule out making any vaccine mandatory, and he essentially said that there were absolutely no plans to do so but that he could never completely rule anything out.

I really would like to see some proper nationwide polling done to understand what the general sentiment is like across the country and across age groups. I actually think it would be a useful exercise for the government to better understand how much campaigning needs to be done to get enough people on board. It would be foolish to assume that a large majority of people are going to be fighting to be at the front of the line to receive this jab.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
im throughly enjoying the prospect of major services insisting on vaccine, such as stadiums, cinemas, air travel, may be Wales. no government mandated, just necessary for a lot of things. watch the antivaxers cry while the same time spoiling the core of their conspiracy.

I do think the Gov could do more to explain whilst it’s a rushed process, the steps companies have gone through to make sure its safe

No time for anti Vaxers, but I think it’s normal for people to be nervous over something produced in a year.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes I think I would like the normal freedoms of life back as soon as poss. I'm in my 50's with underlying health conditions and think that a year out of action represents a sizable chunk of what I probably have left - so accepting that it won't be 100% and that the side-effects are likely to be greater than your average flu vaccine - and given the rush there is bound to be an elevated small (although I would guess small) I would go for it

I have no issue with people that weigh up the risks and come to a different view although I hope that we don't suffer due to low take-up

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I have no issue with people that weigh up the risks and come to a different view although I hope that we don't suffer due to low take-up

Here’s the thing; the average person on the street (myself very much included) knows next to nothing about vaccines or medicines. You either trust the vaccine or you don’t, but for most of us whatever conclusion we arrive at, it’s not really based on anything at all really.

People need arming with robust, accurate and scientific information in order to make a more informed choice. If the force of truthful information isn’t powerful enough, we’re going to be drowning in a sea of lies, conspiracy and scaremongering.

Not to politicise this, but one of the key reasons the leave campaign were successful during Brexit is that they were prepared to be far bolder and more emotive in the messages they sent out than remain. Much of what was said has since been turned out to be at least a little inaccurate, but they said it confidently enough and people believed it.

This is a battle that we absolutely have to get right.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Here’s the thing; the average person on the street (myself very much included) knows next to nothing about vaccines or medicines. You either trust the vaccine or you don’t, but for most of us whatever conclusion we arrive at, it’s not really based on anything at all really.

People need arming with robust, accurate and scientific information in order to make a more informed choice. If the force of truthful information isn’t powerful enough, we’re going to be drowning in a sea of lies, conspiracy and scaremongering.

Not to politicise this, but one of the key reasons the leave campaign were successful during Brexit is that they were prepared to be far bolder and more emotive in the messages they sent out than remain. Much of what was said has since been turned out to be at least a little inaccurate, but they said it confidently enough and people believed it.

This is a battle that we absolutely have to get right.
You are right. You are correct about the need to arm people with good informaion. Sadly I feel that on both sides of the vaccine argument (and for that matter Brexit as well) too many people will rush to judgment without even trying.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd be very careful before being excited by this- it's only referring to saliva:

'Covid: Mouthwash 'can kill virus in lab in 30 seconds'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54971650

Glad I've already got enough Listerine to last. They'll be fighting over it.

But mouthwash is alcohol isn't it ?

Are you thinking what I'm thinking ? :lolol:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'd be very careful before being excited by this- it's only referring to saliva:

'Covid: Mouthwash 'can kill virus in lab in 30 seconds'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54971650

Glad I've already got enough Listerine to last. They'll be fighting over it.

But mouthwash is alcohol isn't it ?

Are you thinking what I'm thinking ? :lolol:

Basic hygiene wins again. However, it was pointed out elsewhere that Listerine doesn't have the necessary ingredient. Also, not all mouthwash contains alcohol. Sorry!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Question.

Excuse my ignorance.

So I keep hearing that we don't yet know if the vaccine will prevent transmission.

I'm guessing this is only referring to the ones who get the vaccine but it doesn't work for (the 5% if it's a 95% efficacious vaccine). The 95% are irrelevant for transmission as they can't get it.

Have I got this right or wrong? Thanks

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Question.

Excuse my ignorance.

So I keep hearing that we don't yet know if the vaccine will prevent transmission.

I'm guessing this is only referring to the ones who get the vaccine but it doesn't work for (the 5% if it's a 95% efficacious vaccine). The 95% are irrelevant for transmission as they can't get it.

Have I got this right or wrong? Thanks

I think it means you can still pass it on even if vaccinated.

Eventually I guess only those not vaccinated will get symptoms so it will be Darwinism in action.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think it means you can still pass it on even if vaccinated.

Eventually I guess only those not vaccinated will get symptoms so it will be Darwinism in action.

That's what I don't get. Surely the point of a vaccine is that you don't get the illness in the first place. If you don't have it, how can you pass it on?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
That's what I don't get. Surely the point of a vaccine is that you don't get the illness in the first place. If you don't have it, how can you pass it on?
If you are vaccinated the virus still enters your body. The question is whether your vaccinated immune system can kill it before you sneeze, breath or 'hand touch' it back out again or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here