Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting that we seem to be taking very firm and very broad steps in relation to this latest, Brazilian variant - banning all travel from the whole of South America and Portugal. Rather uncharacteristic from this government.

I’m hoping that this is because, for once, they’re taking a risk-averse, safety first approach and not because they know something that the public doesn’t as yet.

Johnson was in the liaison committee yesterday and was challenged quite heavily on this, which may have had some influence on their plans.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can't agree and I respect your views on most things. Hopefully, the majority of the population will take the right decision but you cannot coerce people to take a vaccine if they choose not to.

If other countries take the decision you can't enter well that's entirely up to them.

sure we can, this is a public health issue. we've had compulsory vaccination in the past and many in Europe still do today. it becomes difficult for government to enforce though so we'll shy away from it. employers sending people out into peoples homes where they may be exposed, so protecting them, makes it a health and safety matter.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
sure we can, this is a public health issue. we've had compulsory vaccination in the past and many in Europe still do today. it becomes difficult for government to enforce though so we'll shy away from it. employers sending people out into peoples homes where they may be exposed, so protecting them, makes it a health and safety matter.

Ok, let’s say we do this and it becomes the norm for covid

There is an argument to be had we would be vaccinating the wrong way round, you would need to vaccinate the younger groups first to get the country up and running again

If companies are not going to allow people to work/or employe them it will be a very slow recovery.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It's quite obviously a health and safety matter if somebody is suffering from the virus, but you would have to jump over existing legislation to do so.

In any case, nobody knows at the moment whether the vaccine stops you from contracting the virus and passing it on.

I'd be amazed if it wasn't challenged in court. Not having a vaccine clearly doesn't impair your ability to be a plumber.

I think refusing to take the vaccine is incredibly unwise, but I draw the line at making it compulsory sorry.

Testing is quite another thing and I fully expect plumbers (for instance) working in care homes to be tested prior to work.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I can’t see any record of compulsory vaccinations in the U.K. since the early 1900s, so if my basic research is correct, not really a precedent.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
For whatever medical reason a person may not be able to take a vaccine. It's very rare but there also may be a religious reason.

On that basis, you can't refuse to employ somebody simply on the basis they can't be vaccinated. That would be clear discrimination.

Just to reiterate, there is no evidence (at the moment) that the virus can't be in your body and passed on even after vaccination.

It's the opposite of the mask argument. Vaccination protects YOU, not other people.

The mullet headed Rod Stewart lookalike simpleton hasn't thought this through.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This feels slightly different though, in that we’ve shut down travel effectively from any country with the remotest of links to Brazil. We’re certainly not fúcking about this time. Hopefully it’s just a case of credit where it’s due.

Listening to the radio earlier and the said a couple of things.

Brazil had already banned flights to and from the U.K. because of the U.K. strain, so there was nothing to ban

There was no other Passenger flights in and out of SA anywhere.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Just to reiterate, there is no evidence (at the moment) that the virus can't be in your body and passed on even after vaccination.

It's the opposite of the mask argument. Vaccination protects YOU, not other people.
Though to be fair, virtually every vaccine we have does make it unlikely to be passed on, and there is no evidence that this is any different. The chances are that people who have been previously infected and/or vaccinated will not be passing the disease on except very occasionally.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
[tweet]1350187288597291010[/tweet]

Let's hope this is just a coincidence.

:nono:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
[tweet]1350187288597291010[/tweet]

Let's hope this is just a coincidence.

:nono:
Hope so.

If life expectancy is taken as 80 years (960 months), and 20,000 people have been jabbed, you would expect 20,000 divided by 960 to die within a month of the jab even if the jabs were spread evenly throughout the population. That would be 21 people. When you are looking at the very elderly and ill, obviously it would be more.

On average in this country, 2% of the residents of care homes die each month - roughly. Based on average life expectancy of 4 years in homes. If all 400,000 approx. residents get vaccinated, we can expect 8,000 of them to die within a month of the jab, or 16,000 assuming two jabs, purely by natural causes. I just hope that when this happens, the press don't get hold of the wrong end of the stick and start a false hare chasing.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
When EU supporters ask what are the benefits of us leaving, we can speak of this, but not with any joy. Monolithic centralisation has led to an inertia that will tragically cost lives.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
When EU supporters ask what are the benefits of us leaving, we can speak of this, but not with any joy. Monolithic centralisation has led to an inertia that will tragically cost lives.
The irony is that we were invited to join the EU scheme in spite of being outside the EU. Our government thankfully turned them down, largely (apparently) because joining the EU scheme had rules - which I understand Germany, at least, is now ignoring - that we would not have been allowed to procure vaccine supplies from anywhere but the EU scheme.

This particular scheme isn't a fault of a political union per se, but it is a fault of the way the EU runs itself.

I was amazed to find that France is hoping to vaccinate 2.4m by mid-February and 14m by July. What are they playing at? Why aren't they taking it seriously?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

A common theme on the Brexit thread was about EU buying power. This is absolute proof that size isn't everything and it hasn't helped the Commission in this instance. While they dithered and played industrial politics by having to buy equal amounts of French and German vaccine we were securing contracts.

Was a great article in the Telegraph about this
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...cine-taskforce-puts-eu-bureaucracy-shame/amp/

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Last time I looked the country that recently left the EU still has the highest number of cases in Europe and yes it has the benefit of a moat around it.

Great the vaccine rollout of going well, there's a first for everything

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Some discussion on the vaccines on the telly box this morning. They still seem bullish on getting second doses into all those that have had one dose, within 12 weeks, despite reports of a possible slowdown in Pfizer supply. I guess the new vaccines coming on stream will be very helpful in getting to the bulk of the population.

[tweet]1351073618827079681[/tweet]

Maybe they need to stop asking vaccination questions of people like Raab, who seems to have caused some confusion yesterday, given that it's not his job to know the full facts and probably has other things to worry about. (Look, I was supportive of the government).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My surgery in East Preston hasn't even started vaccination yet for over 80s so to see politicians crowing about starting to vaccinate over 70s is infuriating.

**explodes**

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My surgery in East Preston hasn't even started vaccination yet for over 80s so to see politicians crowing about starting to vaccinate over 70s is infuriating.

**explodes**

have the over 80's in the area been vaccinated elsewhere?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here