Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Completely standard and the same at mine. The last thing surgeries need is a million people ringing up asking about it.......and supplies are being ramped up over the next couple of weeks and far more centres being opened as AZ get the stuff into vials. [emoji2369]

Who is going to be administering it? The military?
I don’t understand why pharmacies such as Boots & Lloyds cannot help out, as has been pointed out, they handle thousands of flu jabs each autumn.
The only reason I can see is the distancing/hygiene may be an issue.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don’t understand why pharmacies such as Boots & Lloyds cannot help out, as has been pointed out, they handle thousands of flu jabs each autumn.

Imagine there are a whole host of reasons but I’m not ITK.......would think :

-def distancing etc as you say. Certainly all our pharmacies in town are poky and overstocked and couldn’t cope with a dozen people queuing, let alone much bigger numbers. Using some pharmacies and not others then brings in the need for an assessment.......more time needed....etc etc.

-efficiency is, I would think, very much higher in a ‘production line’ environment (ie setting up a place that does nothing else - arrive, wait in a specific, distanced area, route through (one way), jab, wait, out and repeat.......also much easier for storage and transfer of vaccine, staff and patient parking/transport etc etc. Similar to the test centres.

-pharmacies have BAU to deal with as well

-sure arrangements will be made for those that can’t get to centres

I think we’re probably getting this pretty right at the moment but time will tell.....

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
In Rustington, Boots is cramped and probably couldn’t cope with more than a dozen an hour. However, there’s the Methodist church hall in an adjoining road, so the trained Boots staff could set up a vaccination centre there if needs be.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Imagine there are a whole host of reasons but I’m not ITK.......would think :

-def distancing etc as you say. Certainly all our pharmacies in town are poky and overstocked and couldn’t cope with a dozen people queuing, let alone much bigger numbers. Using some pharmacies and not others then brings in the need for an assessment.......more time needed....etc etc.

-efficiency is, I would think, very much higher in a ‘production line’ environment (ie setting up a place that does nothing else - arrive, wait in a specific, distanced area, route through (one way), jab, wait, out and repeat.......also much easier for storage and transfer of vaccine, staff and patient parking/transport etc etc. Similar to the test centres.

-pharmacies have BAU to deal with as well

-sure arrangements will be made for those that can’t get to centres

I think we’re probably getting this pretty right at the moment but time will tell.....
There is no question that pharmacies as a group can distribute 200,000 vaccines per week because they did that in Autumn with the flu jab. Under the same social distancing rules, as well. Some didn't or couldn't take part, but the ones that did take part managed 200k per week between them.

The question is whether it would be a good idea to ask them to do that again, or whether they have all the capacity they need without the pharmacies.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
There is no question that pharmacies as a group can distribute 200,000 vaccines per week because they did that in Autumn with the flu jab. Under the same social distancing rules, as well. Some didn't or couldn't take part, but the ones that did take part managed 200k per week between them.

The question is whether it would be a good idea to ask them to do that again, or whether they have all the capacity they need without the pharmacies.

It's one thing asking pharmacies to do flu jabs, as they are accustomed to in anticipation of the flu season before it is really in transmission to preventt flu through the winter it is quite another to do jabs on a far more transmissible and deadly virus whilst we are in the absolute worst of it in the middle of winter. We need to remember to protect the very people we are currently vaccinating remembering they don't get maximum immunity until 3 weeks after their first jab and they don't get full immunity the vaccine gives you until 3 weeks after their 2nd jab (15 weeks later). What might work well in theory in your head might not work do well in practice.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It's one thing asking pharmacies to do flu jabs, as they are accustomed to in anticipation of the flu season before it is really in transmission to preventt flu through the winter it is quite another to do jabs on a far more transmissible and deadly virus whilst we are in the absolute worst of it in the middle of winter. We need to remember to protect the very people we are currently vaccinating remembering they don't get maximum immunity until 3 weeks after their first jab and they don't get full immunity the vaccine gives you until 3 weeks after their 2nd jab (15 weeks later). What might work well in theory in your head might not work do well in practice.
Yes, I know that. And if 100 people die from getting a coronavirus jab in pharmacies but 10,000 are saved by getting the job done sooner, then you may or may not argue it was worth it; that's what the powers that be will have to work out. What would be absolutely wrong would be to rule out pharmacy jabs simply because some people might catch coronavirus there.

Never let pursuit of the perfect stop you from achieving the very good.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
My understanding is that the risk of suffering almost immediate anaphylactic shock as a result of the COVID vaccine is about 11 times higher than the risk from a normal flu vaccine. For that reason, my understanding is that those receiving the vaccine are having to wait 15 minutes after the vaccine to ensure there is no adverse reaction, before being free to go. Does anyone have first hand experience to confirm or refute this 15 minute thing please? If it’s true, then one can understand why some pharmacies just don’t have the physical space capacity to have a stack of people being kept metres apart for a 15 minute wait period.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My understanding is that the risk of suffering almost immediate anaphylactic shock as a result of the COVID vaccine is about 11 times higher than the risk from a normal flu vaccine. For that reason, my understanding is that those receiving the vaccine are having to wait 15 minutes after the vaccine to ensure there is no adverse reaction, before being free to go. Does anyone have first hand experience to confirm or refute this 15 minute thing please? If it’s true, then one can understand why some pharmacies just don’t have the physical space capacity to have a stack of people being kept metres apart for a 15 minute wait period.

Yep, was widely reported that it happened to a couple of people in the first day or two of administration of the Pfizer jab, so now people have to wait 15 mins after (I assume this is still the case) - good point though, hadn’t considered that as another reason not to use small pharmacies

Those who has the adverse reactions at the start of the programme were known to have significant allergies and carried epi-pens as a result so it didn’t turn out to be serious.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That may depend on whether you get the Pfizer jab or the AstraZeneca one.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes, I know that. And if 100 people die from getting a coronavirus jab in pharmacies but 10,000 are saved by getting the job done sooner, then you may or may not argue it was worth it; that's what the powers that be will have to work out. What would be absolutely wrong would be to rule out pharmacy jabs simply because some people might catch coronavirus there.

Never let pursuit of the perfect stop you from achieving the very good.

That’s easy to say if you’re not one of those that falls in the section between very good and perfect.

I would hate to think that my wife has spent a year shielding to the be forced to go to a pharmacy, putting herself at risk, to get the very vaccine designed to protect her from risk!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

They are helping out and have set a few sites up. My understanding is that if you turn a lot of pharmacies into vaccine centres they effectively cease to be pharmacies.

Imagine the arguments outside where people are simply trying to pick up their drugs.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
They are helping out and have set a few sites up. My understanding is that if you turn a lot of pharmacies into vaccine centres they effectively cease to be pharmacies.

Imagine the arguments outside where people are simply trying to pick up their drugs.

This is it.

We need mass roll out in sport centres etc where correct social distancing procedures can take place.

D

Deleted member 22389

Peacehaven, Newhaven and a few others will be sent to Brighton Racecourse for the Vaccine. Mum is in her 80s so shouldn't be too long before she gets a letter/call. Luckily I can get my mum up there, but for people who can't I'm sure they can get it done in their home.

Last edited by a moderator:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Suggestions the population will have to be vaccinated bi-annually to keep a control on this virus as it is likely as the virus mutates and continues to thrive even once the adult population has been vaccinated it will still be a big threat particularly over winters hence the suggestion some controls will need to be in place at least next winter and maybe permanently to ease pressure on NHS and prevent as many deaths as possible.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Suggestions the population will have to be vaccinated bi-annually to keep a control on this virus as it is likely as the virus mutates and continues to thrive even once the adult population has been vaccinated it will still be a big threat particularly over winters hence the suggestion some controls will need to be in place at least next winter and maybe permanently to ease pressure on NHS and prevent as many deaths as possible.
This is the question. Is it worthwhile preventing the deaths of a few thousand people at the expense of ruining the lives of a few million?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Not happening

It will be a case of if you want to lock yourself away you are welcome to.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This is the question. Is it worthwhile preventing the deaths of a few thousand people at the expense of ruining the lives of a few million?

suppose it depends if you are one of those few thousand. Crikey!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here