Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Eh? It has a drop off point right outside the entrance, several massive car parks nearby, numerous bus services within a short walk and an extremely well connected railway station half a mile away. Plus it's within walking distance for tens of thousands. I am really struggling to think of any location better suited for mass vaccinations.

The drop off point is on one of the busiest, slowest roads in Sussex.
OK if you can afford a taxi.
The car parks are either full or costly.
I would argue about how close all these bus services are.
Half a mile down and up hill for the station.
I was talking about the elderly.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Yes, I fully realise you are talking about the elderly. But don't fall into the trap of thinking that most people of a certain age are immobile or broke. Most people in the first vaccination priority groups identified will not fall into either of those categories. This is about mass vaccination, so somewhere is needed that's ok for most people, and the Brighton Centre ticks the boxes. Nowhere will be without shortcomings. I get it that it might be a bit of a faff to get to for a lot of people, but it's only a trip anyone would ever need to make twice. And I have no doubt that there will be other measures put in place to vaccinate those harder to get subjects.

And if not the Brighton Centre then where? I am struggling to think of an alternative venue that's big enough and would be available 7 days a week for several months.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

what alternative doesnt have most or all those drawbacks?

My 82 year old father got the call this afternoon. Being done in Sussex County Hospital main entrance (not AnE) next week. Be glad when its done - hes literally been indoors the whole 9 months. First thing he needs to do now before next week is get used to walking again...

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The Amex?

free car park is advantage, otherwise not much in it. also not really available to book out for a couple of weeks/months for the duration of vaccinations.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
free car park is advantage, otherwise not much in it. also not really available to book out for a couple of weeks/months for the duration of vaccinations.

I would also question whether Village Way and Falmer Road could really cope with the additional traffic. The aim is for 3000 vaccinations per day I think? That could be 300-400 people per hour. The lure of free parking and the disincentive for most of having to change buses or trains would mean that the vast majority would drive. The number of additional vehicle movements could be something approaching the hour after a match at the Amex, but all day long. On already busy roads and junctions. Bennetts field would almost certainly not be big enough. Additional parking at The Bridge and maybe even Sussex Uni would most likely be needed, negating a lot of the supposed convenience over the Brighton Centre.

Free parking comes at a cost.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The press is pathetic, interviewing that poor old women that didnt know what to say on this "historic day". Hancock close to tears, William Shakespeare the first man to get the jab, oh do bore off

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But the Amex isn't available 7 days a week for the next few months is it?

Ashton Gate is being used as Bristol's hub, despite it continuing to be used as a venue for Championship football.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Just to throw something out there; did anyone else think it was a slightly odd choice to have a 90 year old as the first and therefore most high profile recipient of the vaccine?

At that age, particularly as we head into winter, I imagine the chances of this dear old lady passing due to natural causes are significantly higher than your average, mid-30s health worker. It just struck me as a bit of a risk that if that were to happen over the course of the next few weeks that it may have an adverse effect on people wanting to receive the vaccine.

It goes without saying that I hope young Margaret is still going strong in another decade's time (and beyond), but I guess someone out there is paid to think about these things.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Just to throw something out there; did anyone else think it was a slightly odd choice to have a 90 year old as the first and therefore most high profile recipient of the vaccine?

we've had 9 months of policy targeted at protecting the elderly (and NHS), so not odd at all.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
we've had 9 months of policy targeted at protecting the elderly (and NHS), so not odd at all.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why the elderly are being prioritised here. It's just that the first recipient of the vaccine is symbolic and their identity will be remembered. Choosing someone who has a significantly higher risk of death by natural causes at any given moment than a much younger person just seems like a bit of a risk to public trust in the vaccine, should that happen (and again, I sincerely hope it doesn't).

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccine is safe and effective, giving good protection, researchers have confirmed in The Lancet journal.

Most in the study were younger than 55, but the results so far indicate it does work well in older people too.

The data also suggests it can reduce spread of Covid, as well protect against illness and death.

The paper, assessed by independent scientists, sets out full results from advanced trials of over 20,000 people.

Regulators, who will have seen the same data, are considering the jab for emergency use.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccine is safe and effective, giving good protection, researchers have confirmed in The Lancet journal.

Most in the study were younger than 55, but the results so far indicate it does work well in older people too.

The data also suggests it can reduce spread of Covid, as well protect against illness and death.

The paper, assessed by independent scientists, sets out full results from advanced trials of over 20,000 people.

Regulators, who will have seen the same data, are considering the jab for emergency use.

Just seen one of the profs interviewed on TV. Incredibly positive news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here