Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What if the EU body responsible for approving the vaccine rejects it?? Or is there slim to no chance of this happening? Surely that would make the take up of vaccine in the UK incredibly low, particularly given that they don't tell you which vaccine you get (if and when the other 2 vaccines get approved in the UK).

if EMA dont approve, they dont get the vaccine in EU, unless country level authorities independently approve (if allowed). its vanishingly small chance they'll reject it though. they just want to be seen to be ensuring its safe, but time taken analysing data from the trials isnt going to alter its safety.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They just had a bloke on the radio say get he will only have the Oxford vaccine because it's British so why aren't the government prioritising it.ffs.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They just had a bloke on the radio say get he will only have the Oxford vaccine because it's British so why aren't the government prioritising it.ffs.

****tards like Gavin Williamson making comments like he did this morning fuels this along with making it look like getting approval was a pissing contest.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What is it with people that don't want the vaccine that causes them to TELL EVERYONE THAT THEY WON'T BE, ALL THE TIME?!?!?!

If you don't want to, fine, but stop banging on about it !

Agreed. Good news is we won’t have to put up with them on holiday, on planes, at the Amex etc etc when showing your ‘vaccine stamp’ becomes the norm.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What is it with people that don't want the vaccine that causes them to TELL EVERYONE THAT THEY WON'T BE, ALL THE TIME?!?!?!

If you don't want to, fine, but stop banging on about it !

I imagine the same reason the people saying they will be getting it all the time.

Normal people in the middle hardly mention it

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Welcome to Dystopia.

Realistically, we've been there since March. The one saving grace, I guess, of how this pandemic has played out is that we've had chance to adjust. We're the frog cold water, gradually brought up to the boil. The shit show that persists around us has become an accepted if temporary normality.

But if someone from the future had flown back in time and paid you a visit on New Year's Eve last year to let you know what 2020 was going to be like, I think most of us would have quickly arrived at the word 'dystopia'. Mass death, government imposed lockdowns, pubs, restaurants and businesses shut, curfews, banned from visiting family and so on. It's been absolutely grim, it's just we've already kind of got used to it, even if we don't like it one little bit.

Whether we like it or not, a temporary imposition of a vaccine requirement to enter countries with low infection levels from countries with high ones makes sense. Provided there are a sufficient number of willing, vaccinated travellers who cannot bring the virus into your country and spread it to any as yet unprotected citizens, why invite those who aren't and pose a risk?

I struggle to envisage a scenario where this won't be the case, but it will be temporary. 'Vaccine passports' or whatever you want to call them will only be imposed for as long as they absolutely have to be, and not a day longer. Globally speaking, I think absolute normality will take much longer than the kind of Easter targets that are being quoted for the UK, but we will get there.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
But if someone from the future had flown back in time and paid you a visit on New Year's Eve last year to let you know what 2020 was going to be like, I think most of us would have quickly arrived at the word 'dystopia'. Mass death, government imposed lockdowns, pubs, restaurants and businesses shut, curfews, banned from visiting family and so on. It's been absolutely grim, it's just we've already kind of got used to it, even if we don't like it one little bit.

I contest that, I think the large majority you refer to, while they may be familiar with the word dystopia would have been heading to Google to understand what it meant.

Sometimes I think people forget that not everyone belongs to a talking shop like NSC, where people love to espouse theories that the man in the street won't have heard of, or probably for that matter, care about.

The large majority of people, not the vocal minority, want to do whatever keeps them and their family safe. State intervention to assist is clearly accepted and acceptable to the majority. I understand in some people's eyes that makes them blinkered sheep, but in reality it is the human race doing what it does best, looking after yourself and those closest...

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I contest that, I think the large majority you refer to, while they may be familiar with the word dystopia would have been heading to Google to understand what it meant.

Sometimes I think people forget that not everyone belongs to a talking shop like NSC, where people love to espouse theories that the man in the street won't have heard of, or probably for that matter, care about.

The large majority of people, not the vocal minority, want to do whatever keeps them and their family safe. State intervention to assist is clearly accepted and acceptable to the majority. I understand in some people's eyes that makes them blinkered sheep, but in reality it is the human race doing what it does best, looking after yourself and those closest...

Ok, you’re probably right in that not everyone has the word ‘dystopia’ in their lexicon (to prove that point I just asked my missus if she knew what it meant and I just got a blank stare, bless her).

But I guess it’s a word that before this year, most people would have only encountered in the synopsis of a fictional book or film. That’s what 2020 has been like - for those of us fortunate enough not to have suffered personal tragedy or financial loss, it’s easy now to forget how scary it’s been. This morning I’m just going to crack on in my home office, join a few meetings over Microsoft Teams, then maybe have a beer or three and a takeaway of some kind this evening.

It’s just another day in weird land. I don’t like it, but I’m used to it now. Whether you’re familiar with the word or not though, this year has been the most dystopian of my life so far and I assume that view is shared by anyone born after 1945.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Ok, you’re probably right in that not everyone has the word ‘dystopia’ in their lexicon (to prove that point I just asked my missus if she knew what it meant and I just got a blank stare, bless her).

But I guess it’s a word that before this year, most people would have only encountered in the synopsis of a fictional book or film. That’s what 2020 has been like - for those of us fortunate enough not to have suffered personal tragedy or financial loss, it’s easy now to forget how scary it’s been. This morning I’m just going to crack on in my home office, join a few meetings over Microsoft Teams, then maybe have a beer or three and a takeaway of some kind this evening.

It’s just another day in weird land. I don’t like it, but I’m used to it now. Whether you’re familiar with the word or not though, this year has been the most dystopian of my life so far and I assume that view is shared by anyone born after 1945.

Good description...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Shiiiiiiit, you mean that's not normal?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

As you say, the fear of the odd is slowly overtaken by the sheer mundanity of it all for the majority of us fortunate enough not to be too directly affected.

That's one of the first things I remember thinking back around April/May - "In films, pandemics never seem boring, but in reality a lot of it actually is." Again, very lucky that it has mostly been boring for me and mine.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Great idea getting all the elderly in Sussex to the Brighton Centre for their jabs. Must be one of the most inconvenient places for any of them to get to, especially for those with mobility isssues.
Still, at least the council can screw the NHS for hiring it and generate some more from car parking. That’s ok then!?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just had a quick look at the list and order of those getting the vaccine.

Cuts off at 50 and above

Is there a plan for those under 50 i have missed?

I assume it’s everyone else after step 9 - but you would think it would say that?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Great idea getting all the elderly in Sussex to the Brighton Centre for their jabs. Must be one of the most inconvenient places for any of them to get to, especially for those with mobility isssues.
Still, at least the council can screw the NHS for hiring it and generate some more from car parking. That’s ok then!?

Eh? It has a drop off point right outside the entrance, several massive car parks nearby, numerous bus services within a short walk and an extremely well connected railway station half a mile away. Plus it's within walking distance for tens of thousands. I am really struggling to think of any location better suited for mass vaccinations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here