Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Under 30's generation.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
For men maybe, but not for women. They were paid less than men for doing the same job, but also excluded from lots of careers because they were considered men only occupations.
When a woman married (I married in 1969) getting a job after moving house, was difficult because employers would say you’ll get pregnant soon and I’ll have to find someone else. Many women couldn’t get part time jobs until the mid 70s, not allowed to join pension schemes because they were part time, and were told their husband’s NI contributions would cover their state pensions.
That was ok until you got divorced. I was lucky that I realised that paying a married women’s stamp wouldn’t cover my state pension, and my first husband was dreadful with money, so opted for the full stamp. It paid off.
Those born a couple of years after me have had five years of pensions stolen from them by this ‘caring’ government.
Anyone who says life was easier then is obviously male!
Stop moaning and get the dinner on the table :D

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It explains why so many Gen X can make a meal out of a piece of bread, a small amount of butter and some kind of sauce.

:lolol:

It's like a caravan circle of ignorant gammonary.

My daughter is ELEVEN and can cook (very good) proper meals and feed herself from the cupboard if me and Mrs GB are on work calls.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
:lolol:

It's like a caravan circle of ignorant gammonary.

My daughter is ELEVEN and can cook (very good) proper meals and feed herself from the cupboard if me and Mrs GB are on work calls.

You're owning ignorant.

I was talking about kids who came home to empty houses and let themselves in, then took care of themselves until whenever the parents got home from work. That's literally the definition of the latchkey kids.

You then waffle on about some kid who does something while their parents are at home?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You're owning ignorant.

I was talking about kids who came home to empty houses and let themselves in, then took care of themselves until whenever the parents got home from work. That's literally the definition of the latchkey kids.

You then waffle on about some kid who does something while their parents are at home?

So you did notice the global pandemic and its necessity for people to work from home, right? But whether I’m in an office at home or in London my kids still get themselves home and can cook for themselves :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I actually find that quite offensive, I hope you never suffer with your mental health old son.

He means the old, banned poster Looney, not you. Appears to have returned as Joe90. Mods are looking into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When the ‘Boomers’ were saving for a deposit, did they have annual foreign holidays, cheap travel around Europe, gap years, University education even, a car, Netflix subscriptions or similar, their own phone (or even use of a private phone), 35 hour working week, their own TV, visits to a beautician, gym membership? Almost certainly not.

What they did do was stay indoors at their parents home for 18 months to 2 years whilst saving hard, no nightclubs, holidays, cars on finance, X Box and games subscription, or down the pub every week.

Whilst life has treated them well in later years, was life a bed of roses when they were young? No. From a Gen X er.

We were also delighted with second hand furniture and household items. It may be just the younger generation I know but it seems EVERYTHING has to be new, with a cool label :shrug:

I guess having no access to credit made me grateful for any cast offs I was given when I was renting, which I did for years before I could get a mortgage.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I actually find that quite offensive, I hope you never suffer with your mental health old son.

Unfortunately Lenny, when someone gives an alternative view or topic of discussion, some get quite nasty on here. It is tolerant and progressive you know [emoji849]
Keep going, it is a long road, as you know.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're owning ignorant.

Do behave. Yes, the kids let themselves in when they got in from school but then switched the tv on to watch children’s programmes. They didn’t get the evening meal ready for their parents.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
You forgot to add your I’m-glad-I’m-57-and-not-27 line. Otherwise well done :thumbsup:

Clearly your Utopia like existence in the Fatherland is better than the UK.

Bearing in mind your own back story I’m surprised you always have this jaundiced view of my opinions.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A tough few months or years? This demographic have had it tough from the minute they hit 8-12 years old! Our childhood was surrounded by the illegal Iraq war, fearmongering and 9/11 terrorist shite that pervaded all of society. Then, we grow into puberty and get confronted by the biggest economic collapse in 50 odd years and as teens we then have to deal with the broken homes and stresses this ends up dishing on us in our formative years. But then you get older, and get into the University you always wanted to go to, to study the subject you always wanted! Great! But wait, it's not great because now the degree fields are so over saturated due to such low loan costs that we get to deal with our loans being tripled from 3k to 9k overnight, by a Liberal Democrat party most of us voted for because they tricked us into thinking they'd cut those loans. So now you're on the hook, you deal with the fact that you're starting life almost 50 grand in debt, and with worse job prospects than many generations prior due to everyone and their nan having a degree so you have to rely on the old classic "who you know" method of getting a job. BUT you do get a job, awesome, you can JUST about afford to live in your expensive rental flat that you moved into because while wages have increased marginally in 20 years rental costs have skyrocketed and why not? We have loads of enriched older people who already owned their homes being able to buy another one, and then rent it out for double the value, must be nice!

But why not just buy your own home then, we did, just work hard and get the deposit together and you'll be fine if you stop being so lazy.... Except average house prices rose 152 per cent in the 20 years from 1995 to 2015, while net family income for our generation only grew by 22 per cent, good luck finding that deposit. BUT ITS NOT OVER! Because now, in your mid 20s and the supposed prime of your life the world has been decimated by the pandemic, its YOU that are mostly on the front lines working those "essential worker" jobs, its you that's coming home to an empty flat and quarantine and its now you that after 2 years of this, and giving so much to help will be left with the long term prospect of rising energy prices, food shortages and even MORE rising housing costs with far less freedom than the generations before you due to an EU referendum that was decided so heavily by generations that came before you, leaving you to pick up the pieces. Again.

This isn't a tough few months or years, this is the status quo for the millenial generation and will continue to be so for the foreseeable until we inherit the earth from the elder generations and hopefully we have something left to salvage from it all.

The older generation don’t know they’re born. :lol:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
When the ‘Boomers’ were saving for a deposit, did they have annual foreign holidays, cheap travel around Europe, gap years, University education even, a car, Netflix subscriptions or similar, their own phone (or even use of a private phone), 35 hour working week, their own TV, visits to a beautician, gym membership? Almost certainly not.

What they did do was stay indoors at their parents home for 18 months to 2 years whilst saving hard, no nightclubs, holidays, cars on finance, X Box and games subscription, or down the pub every week.

Whilst life has treated them well in later years, was life a bed of roses when they were young? No. From a Gen X er.

You missed out In my day we licked lead off our cots and it did us no harm and we were down the mines at the weekend to earn money.

This thread is like a cross between Kirstie Allsops love children and Facebook comments on a news article.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You missed out In my day we licked lead off our cots and it did us no harm and we were down the mines at the weekend to earn money.

This thread is like a cross between Kirstie Allsops love children and Facebook comments on a news article.

Welcome to NSC in the 20’s, one poster who’s non BHAFC views are disliked by many, posts and attracts the usual derogatory responses, then other posters who don’t like those posters will join the thread to hurl insults at them and eat sleep work repeat[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
The average property price in Brighton went up £33,000 in 2021 alone. Average salary in Brighton is £29,000. Average house price in Brighton is around 15 times average salary. But yes, it's poor decision-making / Netflix / phones / gym membership / avocados / always wanting the latest gadget that is the reason why young people are struggling and why perhaps some of them feel like things are stacked against them getting a solid start in life compared to their parent's generation who bought their properties for a much lower multiple of salary requiring a much lower deposit.

It's weird that people try and turn it into a competition as to which generation has had it the toughest. Both have had it hard, both have had it good. It's denying reality though to try and suggest that in some really important, significant ways, the current under 30s haven't got it harder than their parents (while yes, for balance, in other ways things are better for them). No one benefits from a generation that is heading to a lower quality of life than their parents though because housing security, job security, cost of education, and financial security - all pretty significant things - are objectively worse. Those of us who are older should be empathising and supporting them in challenging it, not trying to belittle it and get in a hardship-competition. How hard it was for us is irrelevant in the context of how hard it is now. It makes no difference - if anything it should be inspiring us to make it easier for them.

I'm not far off 50, got free university education and left without much debt, was able to put in an offer on my first property in Brighton for 4 times my salary after I'd been working full time at Amex for 2 years - yes things weren't always great, I worked hard, had more than one job for a while to pay my rent and save, made loads of compromises to save money etc, just like many young people do now - but it'd be hugely disingenuous to think the majority of people under 30 in Brighton (and much of the UK now) would be able to do anything like what I did and which I pretty much took for granted as part of the passage to adulthood. They can't have that same start I did - it's simply not possible: an average salary in Brighton isn't even enough to get you a 25 year mortgage for a small studio flat these days even with a 5% deposit. When I got my first property those same studio flats could be had for just under double average salary in Brighton, and you didn't need a deposit - in fact, you could borrow 105% of purchase price, get a 10 year mortgage and be mortgage free ready to upgrade to a nice house by the time you were 30. Now, and then, simply isn't the same, and it's not having a Netflix subscription that's denying opportunity or really making any substantial difference to what's possible.

Recognising that and thinking it's wrong now and harder for young people in big ways doesn't invalidate how in different ways and for different reasons things were also hard 15, 20, 30, 40 years ago too. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can think it's firstly the fault of young people making bad financial choices, and secondly not see how things are stacked against them and give them a bit of credit for sticking around - the three most qualified young people I know (all medical) are working on emigrating to places they can get better a quality of life and which more fairly reflects and rewards their hard work. I can't blame them at all.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Bought in my mid 20 just after financial crash using a housing association scheme (similar to HTB)

Moved in a lodger to help me cover bills, although less of a contractual relationship after 6 months as ended up marrying her. (It’s cost me a lot more!)

Sold property 6 years later with 75k profit (52k my share)

Bought a bigger house under new HTB, 7 years ago, paid off HTB at first attempt and now sitting on decent equity in a forever home.

The point being there are ways to get on the property ladder without a sizeable deposit.

I put down £5k for my first property

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Textbook tosh from you as usual [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]. You immediately give away how much of a dinosaur you are by assuming any of this generation have a house to make mortgage payments on. :dunce:

I wonder if you realise Ian that you contribute nothing to this forum, to Sussex or frankly the country?

And you are?

As an Albion fan I can contribute whatever I choose to on NSC, as for Sussex, looking after nearly 15,000 families in 34 years, I think I’ve done my bit, and as for the country, it’s half term next week, so get your Mum or Dad to drive you over to my office and I will explain my tax records for the last 18 years.

In all seriousness Husty you’ve crossed the line, either choose to be the coward you appear to be and stay behind your keyboard or give us a call at the office Monday and we can actually talk this through like adults.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember it being hard to get a mortgage in the 70’s due to state Credit Controls.

I sat next to my Dad at the Leicester Building Society in Duke Street, circa 1977, when it took my Dad an entire morning meeting to try to persuade the manager to consider lending to him. Bank and building society managers had the god-like status of surgeons. He had the oversized exec chair, my Dad a modest chair, all part of the silly game. You had to save hard with that financial institution for years beforehand, just to have the conversation.

Oh, quite. The lenders made us plebs feel like scum. But the gap between income and house price was hugely different from what it is now. I think my dad's first house was somewhat less that 3 times his salary. When I bought my house (age 32) the price was around 3-4 times my salary. The average house price in Faversham now is fifteen times my son's salary (he's 36).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And you are?

As an Albion fan I can contribute whatever I choose to on NSC, as for Sussex, looking after nearly 15,000 families in 34 years, I think I’ve done my bit, and as for the country, it’s half term next week, so get your Mum or Dad to drive you over to my office and I will explain my tax records for the last 18 years.

In all seriousness Husty you’ve crossed the line, either choose to be the coward you appear to be and stay behind your keyboard or give us a call at the office Monday and we can actually talk this through like adults.

Mate, I put him on ignore years ago. He's just a gobby nob.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I have a cracking idea, which I'm amazed no government has ever thought of.

Why not build some houses, and then rent them out at genuine low rents, so people can afford to have somewhere to live and maybe even over time have families, without having to work 24/7 just to survive - could be a vote winner!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The average property price in Brighton went up £33,000 in 2021 alone. Average salary in Brighton is £29,000. Average house price in Brighton is around 15 times average salary. But yes, it's poor decision-making / Netflix / phones / gym membership / avocados / always wanting the latest gadget that is the reason why young people are struggling and why perhaps some of them feel like things are stacked against them getting a solid start in life compared to their parent's generation who bought their properties for a much lower multiple of salary requiring a much lower deposit.

It's weird that people try and turn it into a competition as to which generation has had it the toughest. Both have had it hard, both have had it good. It's denying reality though to try and suggest that in some really important, significant ways, the current under 30s haven't got it harder than their parents (while yes, for balance, in other ways things are better for them). No one benefits from a generation that is heading to a lower quality of life than their parents though because housing security, job security, cost of education, and financial security - all pretty significant things - are objectively worse. Those of us who are older should be empathising and supporting them in challenging it, not trying to belittle it and get in a hardship-competition. How hard it was for us is irrelevant in the context of how hard it is now. It makes no difference - if anything it should be inspiring us to make it easier for them.

I'm not far off 50, got free university education and left without much debt, was able to put in an offer on my first property in Brighton for 4 times my salary after I'd been working full time at Amex for 2 years - yes things weren't always great, I worked hard, had more than one job for a while to pay my rent and save, made loads of compromises to save money etc, just like many young people do now - but it'd be hugely disingenuous to think the majority of people under 30 in Brighton (and much of the UK now) would be able to do anything like what I did and which I pretty much took for granted as part of the passage to adulthood. They can't have that same start I did - it's simply not possible: an average salary in Brighton isn't even enough to get you a 25 year mortgage for a small studio flat these days even with a 5% deposit. When I got my first property those same studio flats could be had for just under double average salary in Brighton, and you didn't need a deposit - in fact, you could borrow 105% of purchase price, get a 10 year mortgage and be mortgage free ready to upgrade to a nice house by the time you were 30. Now, and then, simply isn't the same, and it's not having a Netflix subscription that's denying opportunity or really making any substantial difference to what's possible.

Recognising that and thinking it's wrong now and harder for young people in big ways doesn't invalidate how in different ways and for different reasons things were also hard 15, 20, 30, 40 years ago too. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can think it's firstly the fault of young people making bad financial choices, and secondly not see how things are stacked against them and give them a bit of credit for sticking around - the three most qualified young people I know (all medical) are working on emigrating to places they can get better a quality of life and which more fairly reflects and rewards their hard work. I can't blame them at all.

Superb post.

Beware grumpy old man syndrome. That is part of the process we go through to prepare ourselves for death. If everything is getting shitter then it's 'easier' to give up and let go. Not for me, sir, oh no, sir, no.

The reality is that everything changes and the skill set that favours sucess changes. Three hundred years ago being a big strong lad, fit, unphazed by hard work, accepting of violence and lacking much conscience would get you far. Fifty years ago working hard at school got you a golden ticket to university and a life undreampt by your parents' generation. My golden ticket included a full grant and exposure to types of people I'd never have encountered in Portslade (sorry Andy :wink:). Thirty years ago working three jobs, saving up and self denial got you ahead. Today it will be something different. I don't know what it is, but I'm settled so it doesn't matter to me. The young will however find a way, I'm sure of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here