Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The UK’s “Three Stage” Exit Strategy To Ease The Coronavirus Lockdown

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wow, that isn't looking good for the travel and hospitality industries. I was rather hoping UK travel sector would get a unexpected boost this Summer.

I noticed Grant Shapps put the knife into this sector yesterday basically telling everyone to not book a summer holiday home or abroad, he didn't need to say that.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A lot of kids seem to be asymptomatic. In addition they can get temperatures as a result of other diseases. Vaccination is probably the only sure fire way but you'd be vaccinating against the spread rather than necessarily against those likely to die (though, obviously, kids could pass on to the elderly etc). There's a pretty tough call between vaccinating them and those in high risk categories who are shielding.

But even if you vaccinated the kids, at Primary and Infant level, the issue would be the parents. Half the Dorises on the school run at my daughter's Primary couldn't even spell social distancing, let alone carry it out. On the Friday that was the last day the kids were in school they were all standing next to each other nattering, hugging each other, letting their snot encrusted offspring run and scooter directly at other parents and planning PLAYDATES for the following week.

You can vaccinate the kid but you can't talk sense into your average halfwit.

As someone who works in a school, I am very concerned about large classes in small spaces as it seems that many of the healthier people i.e frontline workers who died, have ended up with a high 'viral load' due to continued close proximity to sufferers. If the kids are largely asymptomatic, then that potentially increases the chance of serious infection in any adult working in the school.

On your second point, I could not agree more. When the boffin who released an impact study a couple of weeks ago that said kids back in school meant about 5% difference in transmission rates, I wonder if parents/grandparents dropping off and picking up were a consideration. For many in a poorer area like the one I work in, it is a welcome time of the day that breaks up the monotony of sitting at home (ironic in current circumstance!) twiddling one's thumbs.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm pretty sure they will be made aware of the debt they owe the country after they were bailed out in 2008. Besides, if people are kicked out of their houses for non payment how does the bank get its money back when suddenly hundreds of thousands of properties go on sale and the prices crash ? …. I'm assuming you have a large mortgage and fear for your job ?

Lenders have already said they will not extend the payment holidays for another 3 months which I think is needed to force the governments hand into coming up with some sort of a plan, something which I am not sure they have, not so much " too early to discuss " rather " really not sure what to do next "

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Think we already have.

Predicted highest number of Covid 19 deaths in Europe.

Woeful record of getting our citizens back from abroad, compared to most other major European nations.

We're still the sick man of Europe it seems.

And I'm currently watching a re run of our Italia '90 semi. I don't think that ended well either.

I'm itching to watch a bit of Brazil in 1982. Where would I be able to find such a thing?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"Part of the reason is that it is now believed fewer people have contracted the virus than the experts expected"

Doesn't that contradict some studies that think more people have had it than thought and herd immunity etc?

Fits with my take, though (even if I do get the occasional decimal place in the wrong place :facepalm:)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lenders have already said they will not extend the payment holidays for another 3 months which I think is needed to force the governments hand into coming up with some sort of a plan, something which I am not sure they have, not so much " too early to discuss " rather " really not sure what to do next "

Could it be a degree of brinkmanship by the banks and lenders ? The government will have to support those with mortgages and also the financial institutions too otherwise we have financial disaster. Hundreds of thousands of houses being put on the market while hundreds of thousands being made homeless would fack the economy, surely house prices would collapse and that's bad for everyone ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Could it be a degree of brinkmanship by the banks and lenders ? The government will have to support those with mortgages and also the financial institutions too otherwise we have financial disaster. Hundreds of thousands of houses being put on the market while hundreds of thousands being made homeless would fack the economy, surely house prices would collapse and that's bad for everyone ?

There is no magic money tree, the 3 months bail out will set the economy back 30 years as it is. We will have to get the economy moving after 3 months or the whole country will cease to exist financially and lenders are not charities, they have a business to run, harsh as it sounds

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have a look at the thread called ;
UK Rappers at Lancing

I think you will find that it already has exited.

It's tough to know which part of that thread is furthest from my comfort zone:-

UK rappers

Or

Lancing.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I still think travel will kick up around mid June - not sure what it will look like -

I doubt there will be much confidence to travel overseas once people become aware that their travel insurance excludes Covid-19 illness.
Why would anyone go anywhere voluntarily if the trip puts them in danger?

Not until a vaccine becomes available will the travel industry start functioning again.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is no magic money tree, the 3 months bail out will set the economy back 30 years as it is. We will have to get the economy moving after 3 months or the whole country will cease to exist financially and lenders are not charities, they have a business to run, harsh as it sounds

What happens if they bin off a huge number of their customers and are unable to get their outlay back ? They will go out of business then.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I work in a school and we have many staff either self isolating as they fall in the “at risk” category or someone in their family home do.

We would be short staffed if whole school returned.

The “elephant in the room” would be social distancing.
25-30 kids in every classroom sitting in close proximity is a huge issue. You can’t magic extra classrooms or teachers out of thin air to reduce this.

The only (not great) solution I can think of is to only admit half classes in primary schools (15 instead of 30) on a weekly/alternating days.
Secondary schools would need to produce a whole new timetable and only admit half a school at a time.
Break times and lunch times would need to be extended to comply with social distancing - So much so that big schools in Brighton & Hove would start serving break time food at about 10:00 and finish serving lunch just before school finishes!

Then there is face masks, washing hands, sanitisers to source!

There is so much to think about with re-opening schools that I hope the government think through before making any decisions.

I trust a full consultation will take place before it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Think we already have.

Predicted highest number of Covid 19 deaths in Europe.

Woeful record of getting our citizens back from abroad, compared to most other major European nations.

We're still the sick man of Europe it seems.

And I'm currently watching a re run of our Italia '90 semi. I don't think that ended well either.

Could be that Johnson may need a sicknote for another couple of weeks at least..... he won't want to come back to centre stage and have to deliver bad news.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As someone who works in a school, I am very concerned about large classes in small spaces as it seems that many of the healthier people i.e frontline workers who died, have ended up with a high 'viral load' due to continued close proximity to sufferers. If the kids are largely asymptomatic, then that potentially increases the chance of serious infection in any adult working in the school.

Yes, I broadly agree with this as well. I was positing who would get the preference when it comes to vaccination order. I really don't think you, the NHS workers or any other key worker should be exposed to any more risk than necessary. I'd rather keep my kids at home until Christmas and then do a couple of school years with very minimal holidays or something. They need to catch up, but not at the expense of your health.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I noticed Grant Shapps put the knife into this sector yesterday basically telling everyone to not book a summer holiday home or abroad, he didn't need to say that.

He didn't need to say it because it's effing common sense. Alas, not everyone is capable of exercising common sense!!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, I broadly agree with this as well. I was positing who would get the preference when it comes to vaccination order. I really don't think you, the NHS workers or any other key worker should be exposed to any more risk than necessary. I'd rather keep my kids at home until Christmas and then do a couple of school years with very minimal holidays or something. They need to catch up, but not at the expense of your health.

Thank you for the kindness of your reply. I appreciate that very much.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Yes, agree with this. As much as having my 5 year old twins at home is hard work I'm not willing to put someone else at risk.

However, let's assume that in the attempt to balance the economy against health they do decide to open the schools what is going to happen with regard to the usual 6 weeks summer holiday?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Yes, agree with this. As much as having my 5 year old twins at home is hard work I'm not willing to put someone else at risk.

However, let's assume that in the attempt to balance the economy against health they do decide to open the schools what is going to happen with regard to the usual 6 weeks summer holiday?

I've been wondering that. Imagine it may be reduced by a couple of weeks in order to start catching things up

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Czech Rep has been on lockdown for quite a bit before the UK (since March 16th), and people in the UK seem to be getting itchy already. This thing will take time to recover from. Even though they have one of the best records containing it, there is no time soon when normal life is going to be resumed. The latest here is

April 20th: Farmers’ markets, skilled craft workshops, car dealerships [corrected], professional training areas and weddings with up to ten people will be allowed.
April 27th: Small shops up to 200 square meters will be allowed to open (except those in shopping centers above over 5,000 square meters).
May 11th: Shops up to 1,000 square meters will be allowed to open, as well as driving schools, fitness centers, and gyms.
May 25th: Restaurants, pubs, and cafés will be allowed to open, with service from windows or in gardens. In addition, hairdressers, beauty services, museums, zoos, and galleries will be allowed to open.
June 8th: Shopping centers over 5,000 square meters will be allowed to open, along with tattoo parlours, theaters, castles, chateaux, and any other public business or service. Restaurants will be able to open without restriction, and weddings will no longer be subject to attendance limits, though other public events will be limited to 50 people. Sporting events can take place after this date, but without spectators.

So, well into June before it starts too begin to look a bit normal again.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I doubt there will be much confidence to travel overseas once people become aware that their travel insurance excludes Covid-19 illness.
Why would anyone go anywhere voluntarily if the trip puts them in danger?

Not until a vaccine becomes available will the travel industry start functioning again.

Think you will be shocked.

The past 2 days Vhols have rebooked 100% and 92% of Holidays contacted that were due to go in next week or so.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here