Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Trainline

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
How do companies like these work? I use it on a regular basis but am curious as to how they get the tickets and you don't get a 'trainline' ticket you get a southern rail or east coast for example. Do they buy up say 20 and sell them on? ???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How do companies like these work? I use it on a regular basis but am curious as to how they get the tickets and you don't get a 'trainline' ticket you get a southern rail or east coast for example. Do they buy up say 20 and sell them on? ???

Just an agent for all of the railways I imagine

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
They are just a ticket agent who sells tickets - thats all. Wouldnt use them myself because of the charges they stick on - better off using Southern or Red Spotted Hanky - no fees for them !! :thumbsup:

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Got ticket to Birmingham away on 19th for £6 with Red Spotted Hanky.:thumbsup:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
They sell you exactly the same ticket at the same price you can get everywhere else. They charge you a booking fee for the privelidge. Mugs use thetrainline and redspottedhanky. Fact. Always better and cheaper to use the train company site.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They sell you exactly the same ticket at the same price you can get everywhere else. They charge you a booking fee for the privelidge. Mugs use thetrainline and redspottedhanky. Fact. Always better and cheaper to use the train company site.

Took me a little while to realise that but definitely... this...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Use them to work out the trains and routes, then go to the individual rail companies' websites and book the tickets with them, as unlike the Trainline, they don't charge you a booking fee.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I've tried using the train company websites, but redspottedhanky always seems to have the same prices. I'd rather use a single provider for my tickets, rather than having separate accounts with each of the train companies.

So another vote for redspottedhanky.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I've tried using the train company websites, but redspottedhanky always seems to have the same prices. I'd rather use a single provider for my tickets, rather than having separate accounts with each of the train companies.

Wise choice, my company will be very pleased with you

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Remember when buying train tickets to buy via topcashback/quidco. On TCB there is 6% cashback on southern railways.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

You do realise you can buy a ticket for any train journey at any train companies site?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
When I checked Redspotted Hankey onece it was much more expensive for the same ticket even when taking into account thetrainlines booking fees. I only ever book Birmingham to London anyway so my choices are Cattle class on London Midland (although the last train I took with them for £2 was a pendolino type) or Via Virgin. As Trainline used to be owned buy them this could have something to do with it.

For everywhere else in the country, there is the car first class everytime and it gets right to where I am going.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Going to have a rant.

Had to go to that London today, so took a rare trip on the trains. Went to catch the train back, but once through the barriers at the station (London Bridge), couldn't get to the platform with the wheelchair, so had to leave the station and re-enter elsewhere, by which time we missed our train. Got on the next one, which wasn't a Southern service, but first crap or something. Didn't realise this until the conductor on the train pointed it out, and wanted £40 from us (bastards). He took our Southern tickets and wouldn't give them back until we'd dealt with our tickets for the train we were on. I refused to talk to him until he gave our tickets back. He said they weren't ours, but were the property of the railways, which didn't make sense to me, as they were for a different operator than the one he worked for. I said we'd get off at the next station as we wanted to be on the correct train, and (god this is dull, but I'm venting) he said he'd follow us all the way on the Southern trains. What a twat. Somehow he lost us and we got home without penalty. One nil to the people.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
How do these cashback sites work, always assumed it was some sort of con to get your details?
How can they be a con when there's nothing to lose? I got back over £100 a while back paid straight into my account.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Going to have a rant.

Had to go to that London today, so took a rare trip on the trains. Went to catch the train back, but once through the barriers at the station (London Bridge), couldn't get to the platform with the wheelchair, so had to leave the station and re-enter elsewhere, by which time we missed our train. Got on the next one, which wasn't a Southern service, but first crap or something. Didn't realise this until the conductor on the train pointed it out, and wanted £40 from us (bastards). He took our Southern tickets and wouldn't give them back until we'd dealt with our tickets for the train we were on. I refused to talk to him until he gave our tickets back. He said they weren't ours, but were the property of the railways, which didn't make sense to me, as they were for a different operator than the one he worked for. I said we'd get off at the next station as we wanted to be on the correct train, and (god this is dull, but I'm venting) he said he'd follow us all the way on the Southern trains. What a twat. Somehow he lost us and we got home without penalty. One nil to the people.

People power :bow:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here