Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Toilet Roll crisis reaches new heights in Australia

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
At ASDA Hollingbury, the same at Waitose Hove, completely empty loo and kitchen roll shelves again.

The producers trade association said yesterday that they can easily up production to a 24/7 operation. Hopefully those supplies hit the supermarkets soon!

I have no interest in joining the hoarders queuing outside Brighton’s supermarkets in the early hours, to grab yet more supplies.

Till you run out that is.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Panic buying here is making us sensible types having to try and save some for when we cannot get any.
I managed to pick up a pack of 24 and 2 x packs of 9 this morning without any trouble, this brings my total at home to about 60 rolls.
Sounds a lot, but there are 5 adults living here and 3 of them are women !
I am trying to ensure that there will be enough here for the family to use when I am away for 3 weeks in April.
A couple more packs spread over the next 2 or 3 weeks should suffice.
Hope the situation isn't worse on my return.

Bloody hell, you are the absolute epitome of a panic-buyer, even down to the "it's not me, I'm just taking sensible precautions" excuse. You are part of the problem. and no I don't expect a reply saying "yes, you're right."

TBH though I can't get too worked up about the toilet roll shortage (even though we are down to our last 4). I'm more pissed off with the people who have panic-bought all the dry food such as pasta. At least you (and the other panic-buyers who have caused the shortages) will eventually use the toilet paper, you just know though that the food hoarders have bought way more than they can possible use and will eventually look at the 'use by' dates of all the uneaten food - and chuck it out.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Bloody hell, you are the absolute epitome of a panic-buyer, even down to the "it's not me, I'm just taking sensible precautions" excuse. You are part of the problem. and no I don't expect a reply saying "yes, you're right."

TBH though I can't get too worked up about the toilet roll shortage (even though we are down to our last 4). I'm more pissed off with the people who have panic-bought all the dry food such as pasta. At least you (and the other panic-buyers who have caused the shortages) will eventually use the toilet paper, you just know though that the food hoarders have bought way more than they can possible use and will eventually look at the 'use by' dates of all the uneaten food - and chuck it out.

Target reached and I have stopped hence proving your thesis wrong. I am not buying anymore as I have enough and I haven't stocked up on anything else. It seems that a lot of people, like yourself, have trouble in understanding what the exercise was and to be honest I don't care and I am not explaining it again.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

this. 60 rolls ffs? Absolutely part of the problem. Pathetic really, such a selfish world.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's it jump to conclusions without reading all the posts related, that is being really informed isn't it.
Now run along.

You've panic-buyed. I know you don't care, but you have.

Someone else will go without as a direct result, but I appreciate as far as you're concerned, your family was the priority. And you don't care. Thats how this works.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Your post is rather typical of the snobbish response of many people who like to sit on their hands and criticize others. I don’t wish to be rude but my shopping decisions are my own. There is a lot of talk about panic buying but it is simply people stocking up in case thy are forced to self isolate. This situation is going to get worse before it gets better and businesses and individuals need to make such plans. The snobbery about toilet rolls running out is amazing. You need to realize that at some point soon you may not be able to leave your house either because you will have the virus or may pass it on to others. You, me and everybody else need to plan for that. If you have a stock of non perishables that will decrease the likelihood that you will have to leave the house and put others at risk.
I have been told that there is a two week wait for a time slot for internet delivery. These deliveries are taking priority over stocking the shelves, hence the shortages (that comes from a supermarket manager).These waiting times will get longer. It means that if you don’t have at least two weeks (maybe more) of supplies then things may be difficult for you.
I am saying this to anyone making the case you are making ie not particularly aimed at you but people should stop sniping at others who are doing the best they can to keep their families safe. Remember there are many people (including middle class people living month to month) who rely on buying the cheapest possible food. They cannot afford not to be stocked up as they cannot afford the alternatives of buying expensive brands or living off takeaways.
It is fine to choose not to stock up but just a shame that this is another example of the modern trend of people feeling better about themselves by looking down on others.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You've panic-buyed. I know you don't care, but you have.

Someone else will go without as a direct result, but I appreciate as far as you're concerned, your family was the priority. And you don't care. Thats how this works.

No, they won’t. There are things we cannot buy but we have come up with alternatives. We don’t feel like we are going without just because we cannot buy the exact same shop we always have done. There is a global pandemic and we all need to adjust.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
There’s three types of shopper at the moment.

Those who just don’t give shit about anyone else.

Those who think they’re the sensible one, and whilst they’d rather there be enough for others, they will stock up ‘just to be safe’. It’s still panic buying because it creates a psychological domino effect, however much you dress it up.

And then there’s the unselfish ones.

Placed my Asda order on Tuesday no toilet rolls. Checked last night and of the 53 items I ordered 33 were either out of stock or substituted. So fannied around changing the order and noticed they had some loo rolls so ordered 2 packs of 6. This was at 11.30 pm. My order came 9.00am this morning and another 10 items had been subbed and the bliddy rolls had been changed to ONE pack of four..htfh can I make 4 rolls last 2 weeksbetween two of us

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Use the old fashion way....
emergency-toilet-paper-on-a-string-at-beamish-museum-GT6BFM.jpg

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Placed my Asda order on Tuesday no toilet rolls. Checked last night and of the 53 items I ordered 33 were either out of stock or substituted. So fannied around changing the order and noticed they had some loo rolls so ordered 2 packs of 6. This was at 11.30 pm. My order came 9.00am this morning and another 10 items had been subbed and the bliddy rolls had been changed to ONE pack of four..htfh can I make 4 rolls last 2 weeksbetween two of us

two each?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After finding empty loo shelves over the last few weeks at Waitrose, ASDA and Sainburys, I visited ALDI Portslade yesterday expecting the same, but they had full shelves of the stuff. Shoppers were sensibly taking one or two packs, there was no sign of the selfish locusts.

Worth a trip in you live in the city and have had no luck elsewhere.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have been told that there is a two week wait for a time slot for internet delivery. These deliveries are taking priority over stocking the shelves, hence the shortages (that comes from a supermarket manager).These waiting times will get longer. It means that if you don’t have at least two weeks (maybe more) of supplies then things may be difficult for you.

We have home grocery deliveries and it hasn’t changed one iota.

On Wednesday we booked a slot for Friday, then changed that on Thursday for Sunday. No problems, loads of slots to choose from if you book a few day ahead, as was always the way.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There was a member of staff hovering outside the toilet area at the Hollingbury Asda today. My first thought was that he was there in case people stole the toilet rolls from the cubicles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here