Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Toilet Roll crisis reaches new heights in Australia

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Toilet paper is quite honestly the least of my worries but then I do have arse washing toilets. However, even without any bog roll there are so many ways to improvise. Many people really are stupid.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
This is what happens when the working class find themselves with money. And I'm not being facetious. I was struck by it flying into Ann Arbor, Michigan, 30 years ago. In China, till very recently, the fatter you were, the richer you were regarded.

Natural selection eventually prevails, though. Nothing to see here. :shrug:

This is definitely the case in Tonga. The king has been trying to change the social stigma associated with being lean. https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35346493

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Panic buying here is making us sensible types having to try and save some for when we cannot get any.
I managed to pick up a pack of 24 and 2 x packs of 9 this morning without any trouble, this brings my total at home to about 60 rolls.
Sounds a lot, but there are 5 adults living here and 3 of them are women !
I am trying to ensure that there will be enough here for the family to use when I am away for 3 weeks in April.
A couple more packs spread over the next 2 or 3 weeks should suffice.
Hope the situation isn't worse on my return.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Yep. Before Dad died I made several trips back to the UK. Everytime I got back home I was struck by just how fat people were compared to the UK. I live in a city of 100k people we have 4 Hungry Jacks(burger King) 6 macca's, 4 KFC, 1 red rooster, about 20 Fish and Chips, at least 20 Pizza places, countless bakeries, every service station has meat pies. Not surprisingly the percentage of overweight / obese adults has topped 60% and in one area 70% of adults are classed as obese. I am guessing all their kids will be porkers as well.

This is Dubai, not Australia, but I passed this rubbish bin on my way to work this morning, and it kind of summed things up for me.

Dozens of used and discarded facemasks; a symbol of people's desperation to live, to survive. In order that they can then… kill themselves with junk food and fags, and kill the planet with trash.

Bin.gif

Last edited:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Panic buying here is making us sensible types having to try and save some for when we cannot get any.
I managed to pick up a pack of 24 and 2 x packs of 9 this morning without any trouble, this brings my total at home to about 60 rolls.
Sounds a lot, but there are 5 adults living here and 3 of them are women !
I am trying to ensure that there will be enough here for the family to use when I am away for 3 weeks in April.
A couple more packs spread over the next 2 or 3 weeks should suffice.
Hope the situation isn't worse on my return.

You are perfectly demonstrating the psychology of panic buying. Everyone thinks they are the 'sensible types'. You are panic buying toilet paper. You will not die if you run out. Take a look at yourself.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is what happens when the working class find themselves with money. And I'm not being facetious. I was struck by it flying into Ann Arbor, Michigan, 30 years ago. In China, till very recently, the fatter you were, the richer you were regarded.

Natural selection eventually prevails, though. Nothing to see here. :shrug:

My ex worked in Saudi where the fat/rich image applied as well.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Yep. Before Dad died I made several trips back to the UK. Everytime I got back home I was struck by just how fat people were compared to the UK. I live in a city of 100k people we have 4 Hungry Jacks(burger King) 6 macca's, 4 KFC, 1 red rooster, about 20 Fish and Chips, at least 20 Pizza places, countless bakeries, every service station has meat pies. Not surprisingly the percentage of overweight / obese adults has topped 60% and in one area 70% of adults are classed as obese. I am guessing all their kids will be porkers as well.
The difference in the obesity rate between the two countries is only about 1 percentage point.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is Dubai, not Australia, but I passed this rubbish bin on my way to work this morning, and it kind of summed things up for me.

Dozens of used and discarded facemasks; a symbol of people's desperation to live, to survive. In order that they can then… kill themselves with junk food and fags, and kill the planet with trash.

View attachment 120850

As long as they empty the bins a bit more often I reckon we'll all be ok in the end :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Looks like the set of Supermarket Sweep. Really flimsy.

"I'm Danny Dyer, and welcome to the new Pwoper Nawty Supermarket Sweep. You slaaaaags."

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Help is at hand....headline from todays Guardian:

On a roll: is Britain ready for reusable toilet paper?

Coronavirus fears have led to a run on loo paper as shoppers stockpile. But are fabric, washable cloths a sustainable alternative?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I am surprised there hasn't been a run on Bidet's. But then thinking about it the bogans (chavs) panic buying the bogroll probably think they are water fountains.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
You are perfectly demonstrating the psychology of panic buying. Everyone thinks they are the 'sensible types'. You are panic buying toilet paper. You will not die if you run out. Take a look at yourself.

Not quite, when I have enough to cater for my family I won't get anymore.
Which will probably be tomorrow.
I prefer to call it not putting my family under undue stress whilst I am away, though you can think what you want.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really don't get the fuss over toilet rolls, it's ridiculously far down on my list of priorities if I have to self isolate.

If you run out just take a shower after every shit :shrug:

It’s self fulfilling.

If a few people strip the shelves (as was the case Waitrose Hove on Sunday), the rest are left with no bog rolls for their normal purpose. So more and more people over buy just in case they’re none next time.

There must be record hours of overtime being clocked up in bog/kitchen roll factories.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s self fulfilling.

If a few people strip the shelves (as was the case Waitrose Hove on Sunday), the rest are left with no bog rolls for their normal purpose. So more and more people over buy just in case they’re none next time.

There must be record hours of overtime being clocked up in bog/kitchen roll factories.

Laxatives will be the next thing to run out, so people will actually have a use for all the loo rolls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here