Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Times: Paul Barber didn't see the point of merely suspending Premier League matches

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Don’t understand how they can promote Leeds and West Brom without relegating someone.

Has to be the same rules for everyone.

Can’t see past a null and void.

Start again in August

I can't see past this season being played out whenever football resumes, short break, and then the new season. Can see Cup competitions, international breaks etc being squeezed. Be interesting to see what the various governing bodies conjure up.

Bucephalus

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Two options in my book - either finish the season when virus subsides but there's unlikely to be enough time to do so before start of new season - or just write this season off as if it never happened i.e. no promotions or relegation and no silverware, with top 4 from previous season finish going into next season champions league places etc. Don't see a scenario where some teams are promoted but no teams are relegated - not going to happen. Tough on Liverpool and Leeds fans but the virus is going to be tough on a lot of people and this is only sport after all!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I can't see past this season being played out whenever football resumes, short break, and then the new season. Can see Cup competitions, international breaks etc being squeezed. Be interesting to see what the various governing bodies conjure up.

Not sure how that can happen now

Unless they just don’t bother with season 20/21

Football will be lucky to start in August as it is.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Two options in my book - either finish the season when virus subsides but there's unlikely to be enough time to do so before start of new season - or just write this season off as if it never happened i.e. no promotions or relegation and no silverware, with top 4 from previous season finish going into next season champions league places etc. Don't see a scenario where some teams are promoted but no teams are relegated - not going to happen. Tough on Liverpool and Leeds fans but the virus is going to be tough on a lot of people and this is only sport after all!

Cannot stand Leeds or Liverpool but both losing out would be a travesty.

Regardless, whatever is decided , if we don't finish season we will be PL next season. As never been in bottom 3 and still not in it.
Alexis Macc must me happy. 800k fee for 10 minutes and then quarantine in a foreign country.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I fail to understand why there's any interest in Paul barber and what he says or thinks.

He bores the tits off me

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Because he's an excellent football administrator and we're lucky to have him. And he bores you because football administration is boring compared to watching the game. Without it though, you wouldn't have a game to watch

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Not sure how that can happen now

Unless they just don’t bother with season 20/21

Football will be lucky to start in August as it is.

Agree that football will be lucky to start in August but we know there is plenty of slack in a season with international breaks, cup competitions, mid week. The governing bodies will be working through the options over the coming days

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Agree that football will be lucky to start in August but we know there is plenty of slack in a season with international breaks, cup competitions, mid week. The governing bodies will be working through the options over the coming days

Don’t believe any of it will be workable

You can’t give players a very short break between seasons and then expect them to be playing twice a week.

Something has to give .. and it will be the 19/20 season

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Cannot stand Leeds or Liverpool but both losing out would be a travesty.

Regardless, whatever is decided , if we don't finish season we will be PL next season. As never been in bottom 3 and still not in it.
Alexis Macc must me happy. 800k fee for 10 minutes and then quarantine in a foreign country.

True, but it's not like Argentina have done the virus a body swerve!

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Don’t believe any of it will be workable

You can’t give players a very short break between seasons and then expect them to be playing twice a week.

Something has to give .. and it will be the 19/20 season

It's likely to be a legal minefield if this season is null and void but wearing my seagulls blue hat, I'd take your null and void now.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
So are Leeds fans now in melt down at the possibility of missing out again.

They will always be Premier League deep down inside.

That's all that matters.

tenor.gif

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Congratulations, comment of the week :wanker:

Apologies, I forgot some people were putting their sense of humour in isolation as well. I should have caveated the ‘all players to have a coronavirus party I order to get it’ with a *not a serious suggestion, for those unable to pick out the serious comments from the non serious. Clearly I’m not advocating collateral damage from a virus party I wasn’t seriously suggesting. I didn’t realise I’d have to spell it out. :whistle:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My old buddy is of course very sensible here.

There is not one single expert or even close-to-expert saying everything will be fine in a month. The decision to "postpone" the season is just forcing the players to keep training as usual. How many employees do Brighton have? 350 or so? Forcing a lot of them to come into work and interact with eachother for no reason is just stupid in these times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here