Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Times: Paul Barber didn't see the point of merely suspending Premier League matches

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
With all these sporting events being cancelled or rescheduled Bloom's betting sites and buisiness are bound to take a massive hit as well. Bad news all round.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No....but it’s also reasonable to say it gives them time to discuss the necessary solutions....we all know in our hearts it won’t be returning at the beginning of April

Whatever happens though, we can't get relegated.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
With all these sporting events being cancelled or rescheduled Bloom's betting sites and buisiness are bound to take a massive hit as well. Bad news all round.

Didn't think he had any interests in betting websites anymore.
Believe that's where he made his money, but had sold them all off.

Could be wrong

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Do we now have infected players and/or staff?

I didn’t think we did, yet, but according to the Mail we do:

“The risk of more players contracting coronavirus during the shutdown given that personnel at seven clubs have already been infected - Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester City, Bournemouth, Manchester City, West Ham, Brighton and Everton.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne

“The risk of more players contracting coronavirus during the shutdown given that personnel at seven clubs have already been infected - Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester City, Bournemouth, Manchester City, West Ham, Brighton and Everton.”

Sensationalising from the DM

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I can’t see the season finishing. How can it? They reckon the peak won’t be until June time, so they won’t restart anything until after this. Even then just because past the peak people will still be getting it so teams won’t want to play and it would be unfair if they were made to with weak squads.

Any talk of extending until July seems odd. Realistically we would need 6 weeks playing twice a week to finish the season. I simply can’t see it. I expect that is the decision to be made between now and April.

My guess is two up and no relegation through the league then two more relegated next year. Harsh on sides in and around play offs but I can’t see how anything else will happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mr Barber clearly has absolutely no confidence in GPott and the players being good enough to get themselves out of this malaise.

Spence was right all along.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Didn't think he had any interests in betting websites anymore.
Believe that's where he made his money, but had sold them all off.

Could be wrong

The company doesn't make money from taking bets (like a bookies), they make money by placing bets themselves. They have actuaries that work out odds and probabilities using statistics then use that to make big value bets like large spread bets or the like.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My guess is two up and no relegation through the league then two more relegated next year. Harsh on sides in and around play offs but I can’t see how anything else will happen.

That’s what the Telegraph is predicting. Leeds and WBA come up, five go down next year.

Still not sure that can be agreed by everyone. What about say, Fulham?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
That’s what the Telegraph is predicting. Leeds and WBA come up, five go down next year.

Still not sure that can be agreed by everyone. What about say, Fulham?

There will always be people who moan and they have every right but if they were in second they would not moan.

They also have a very hard run so in all probability they were not getting top 2.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As far as I know, property ownership and large scale global real estate developments are now his primary business. Although these sectors will also take a hit from Covid-19 related factors.

Yep, not long after he took over someone I know through work in London seemed to think he owned a lot of buildings / leases in the City of London.
Particularly on London Wall etc

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Reported yesterday, 5 staff self-isolating but not confirmed cases. Not first team players or coaching staff.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

The Mail says that seven clubs have been affected, then names eight. Brilliant.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I fail to understand why there's any interest in Paul barber and what he says or thinks.

He bores the tits off me

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Yep, not long after he took over someone I know through work in London seemed to think he owned a lot of buildings / leases in the City of London.
Particularly on London Wall etc

I've heard the same, as well as a substantial portfolio in both Singapore and Australia.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Don’t understand how they can promote Leeds and West Brom without relegating someone.

Has to be the same rules for everyone.

Can’t see past a null and void.

Start again in August

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
#justaCold

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That piece is from 2016, I'm pretty sure that he has since stood down from that company to comply with Premier League rules.

As far as I know, property ownership and large scale global real estate developments are now his primary business. Although these sectors will also take a hit from Covid-19 related factors.

Think he still owns it but stood down as chairman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here