Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Sun / Hull Daily Mail reporting Hull sniffing after Kayal

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Tony needs to get these contracts sorted very soon, as to lose one would be disappointing but to lose both would be a promotion killer.

This.

Needs a finesse from the Albion to persuade him to stay. Unlike Dale Stephens (better) Beram is at the peak age of his career. We cannot stand in his way. Good luck to him if he leaves.

Luckily, he won't be first choice on the Hull hit list. They need to replace Robbie Brady though.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
This.

Needs a finesse from the Albion to persuade him to stay. Unlike Dale Stephens (better) Beram is at the peak age of his career. We cannot stand in his way. Good luck to him if he leaves.

Luckily, he won't be first choice on the Hull hit list. They need to replace Robbie Brady though.

Brady departed from Hull last year. So, surely you meant find a suitable replacement that is of the same calibre, or better, than Brady? I don't see Odubajo as a player that can cut it in the Prem

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If Tony is set on promotion neither of these players will leave.

I think we need to take a risk, if they don't want to sign the contracts that's fine but instead of selling we need to have the balls to risk losing them for nothing next summer and turn down all offers for them.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Kayal will go nowhere for £1.5m unless he has a clause in his contract.

Sit them both down and say to them "Look, you could both move now and find yourselves in a lower division than the Albion in 6 months. Or you can stay here where you/your family are settled. We give it one last big push for promotion. If we're off the pace in January, you can go. If you've played to the best of your ability then you'll attract much better clubs than Burnley and Hull. If we're doing well? Then stay and write your name in to Albion folklore, be the key players in getting this team to the top flight in nearly 40 years. If you stay for the whole season and we fall short, then you can move on anyway."

I genuinely think we can hold on to both of them.

This would be exactly my strategy if they fail to sign their contracts this summer. It would be a brave and ballsy move, but it makes the most sense.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Tony is set on promotion neither of these players will leave.

I think we need to take a risk, if they don't want to sign the contracts that's fine but instead of selling we need to have the balls to risk losing them for nothing next summer and turn down all offers for them.
This.

At the end of the day Kayal cost £350k so if he walks away for a free next summer we are just that amount down. Drop in the ocean when compared to £150 million or whatever it is now.

Stephens was about £600k. Same applies.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
The beating heart of our side. The loss would be monumental.

Absolutely. Only a fool could downplay the potential impact on the side if either Kayal or Stephens left. However, in my mind Kayal is (marginally) the more complete player. I'd be shocked and very sad to see him go and would genuinely fear for our chances of promotion should he leave for the Premier League. He's that good.

I've always had that gut feeling that Stephens' ambition to play Premier League football is more pressing. In contrast, I'd be surprised to see him stay, though hopeful he makes a big success of his career wherever he goes. He's been a 100% player for us. He's probably replaceable, but the spend will need to be substantial.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The beating heart of our side. The loss would be monumental.

But replaceable! After all, who was Kayal to us before he arrived here?

Without doubt we need to pull all the strings to keep them, but if either are being lured by the Premier League riches then we are fighting an uphill battle.

Fingers crossed they sign, the sooner the better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Without doubt we need to pull all the strings to keep them, but if either are being lured by the Premier League riches then we are fighting an uphill battle.

Fingers crossed they sign, the sooner the better.

A doom monger says, even if they sign, all it does is put their price up.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If the reports on Stephens are true...................AND I DONT SAY THEY ARE

If we turn down £4m for Stephens with a year left on his contract..........................What then makes a fee of £1m for Kayal acceptable with also one year left on his contract ?

Rightly or wrongly, there's a worry about Kayal's injury history (which is why we ended up with him at a cut price in the first place.)
He's also a couple of years older which may make a big difference in terms of resale value.
Again, rightly or wrongly, I suspect Stephens is seen as the more creative of the two and Kayal as the destroyer. Players with goals/ assists in them carry a premium.

Not saying that it's right but I suspect those are the reasons why clubs might think they could get him for that.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This.

At the end of the day Kayal cost £350k so if he walks away for a free next summer we are just that amount down. Drop in the ocean when compared to £150 million or whatever it is now.

Stephens was about £600k. Same applies.

It's a nice thought, but there is no way we are going to let £10 million quid walk out the door next summer for nothing

If they are not going to sign new deals, we need to cash in, move on and trust the recruitment guys to work magic again.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's a nice thought, but there is no way we are going to let £10 million quid walk out the door next summer for nothing

If they are not going to sign new deals, we need to cash in, move on and trust the recruitment guys to work magic again.

Wrong, on so many levels. £10M is a drop in the ocean (when compared to the PL riches), and recruiting adequate replacements will cost most of that amount anyway...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Wrong, on so many levels. £10M is a drop in the ocean (when compared to the PL riches), and recruiting adequate replacements will cost most of that amount anyway...

On top of that, keeping players that want to go never works... remember Bridcutt and Buckley.... I could do without that scenario again...

you can't hold players back on these things in my opinion, get 10M in and spend it wisely, players come and go, we will replace them.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
On top of that, keeping players that want to go never works... remember Bridcutt and Buckley.... I could do without that scenario again...

you can't hold players back on these things in my opinion, get 10M in and spend it wisely, players come and go, we will replace them.

Just don't agree. Bridcutt behaved like an absolute c0ck once that twonk Gus came a-callling and, TBH, Buckley was just too injured to worry about. I don't see Beram and Dale behaving as badly as lovable Liam...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Surely the better question is; how utterly shithouse was our midfield before he came in?! I know we're not going to go back to the dark days of Gardner, JFC and Ince but Kayal has (in a very quick time) become pretty irreplaceable. We were VERY lucky to get him due to his previous injury record.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here