The Sun and The Scousers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC decides: Should the scousers kiss and make up with The Sun

• No. The Sun's article was an attoricious lie that should never ever be forgotton

Votes: 44 69.8%
  • Yes. It's about time would-be Sun readers on Merseyside grew up and recognise the fact that The Sun

Votes: 19 30.2%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting article in the BBC today on The Sun's desparate attempt to win back the people of Liverpool:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4258455.stm

Do you think the scousers should finally forgive this abject rag after it's appalling "the truth" article over Hillsborough. Or does The Sun continue to get what it deserves? Apparently it's cost News Interational millions of pounds.

Personally, I think it's a toughy but on balance I do hope The Sun continues to fail in the capital of self pity. However, in any other city I do think people would have stopped the boycott a long time ago.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Nobody should buy the Sun. Not because of the Liverpool thing, but because it's a really awful self-opinionated rag. And that goes for the Mirror too.

Albion Rob

Wasn't the Sun's piece stood up by Duckenfield, the officer in charge?

The article must have hurt a lot of people really badly but it is nothing compared to that bastard's incompetence.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I can understand why there is still bad feeling and always will be.

They're not missing anything anyway.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
A guy from the Sun has written a piece in the Guardian today about this subject. He points out that a lot of other papers carried the same story, broadsheets as well as tabloids, and some were far more OTT in their coverage. The Daily Star and the Mirror hardly covered themselves with glory on this story. The Sheffield Star was the worst of the lot and have NEVER apologised for their twisted "reporting" of Hillsborough.

I guess none of us can ever understand the families anger at the paper, but I do sometimes feel that it's time for Merseyside as a whole to move on from blaming the Sun. They reported what they were told by a Police force that was desperate to cover up their fatal incompetence. The Sun has been used as the fall guy in the whole Hillsborough affair, they take the blame and the hurt for the actions of South Yorkshire Police. I get far more angry over the fact that police officers recieved far more compensation for stress than the families of the dead received.

The Sun at that time was particularly odious due to the editorship of Kelvin McKenzie. The guy wanted to run the story with the headline "YOU SCUM" but was eventually persuaded to tone it down to "THE TRUTH". The man is a total scumbag in my opinion and he appeared to get away intact from the whole affair.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Simster said:
Interesting article in the BBC today on The Sun's desparate attempt to win back the people of Liverpool:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4258455.stm

Do you think the scousers should finally forgive this abject rag after it's appalling "the truth" article over Hillsborough. Or does The Sun continue to get what it deserves? Apparently it's cost News Interational millions of pounds.

The Sun is a disgusting excuse for a newspaper and if I was a Liverpudlian I'd never buy the rag again-no matter how contrite they are. A blatant attempt to sell papers and nothing more and scousers won't fall for it. As for other papers being less than blameless-you could be right but the Sun went out of its way to antagonise the people of Liverpool. It's a rag and I hate it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:
I respect the fact the boycott is still in place. Financial loss is the only form of protest these companies understand.
What he said. I know in some respects other newspapers reported similar 'facts' but I'm glad it was The Sun that got singled out. Hopefully the fact that the issue still hasn't gone away is making tabloid editors think at least twice before rushing into print with the latest sensationalism.

Nah, this was a blood libel and no one should be telling Liverpool what is the appropriate time for their hurt to last. If they want to take the next 200 years, it's up to them and everyone should respect that.

The Sun are serial offenders in smearing the actions of anyone in a weaker position than them, and that includes football supporters. Of course they smeared the fans for Hillborough rather than the authorities, the Sun sucks up to those in power.

The latest Millwall smear shows the Sun learnt nothing at Hillsborough and pressure should be kept up on them.

It's true that many other newspapers were as bad, but the Sun was the biggest beast in the jungle and it's malignance inflicted the most damage. The tactic of a focused boycott that ignores others who were in less of a position to spread the blood libel, such as newspapers with smaller circulations, is perfectly justified.

Let's not forget our boycott of Archer's companies and the Goldstone retail park and remember that the Liverpool stuff is way, way more important than that.

The Sun is an awful machine of nonsense. Hillsborough was a terrible tragedy, but I have always found the Scousers reaction to anyone that questions what all the ticketless fans were doing there as fairly poor.

It could have been policed better, but the situation would not have occurred at all if people had not turned up without tickets and tried to force their way in, inadvertently killing their own.

Very very sad occurance.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Soton Seagull said:
It could have been policed better, but the situation would not have occurred at all if people had not turned up without tickets and tried to force their way in, inadvertently killing their own.

Very very sad occurance.

:clap:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I don't think either the Sun or the Scousers come out of this with any credit. The Sun is an appalling rag regardless of the Hillsborough reporting but the fact that 15 years on the majority of Scousers won't even talk to the new editor who wants to apologise says more about their attitude in general. Boris Johnson may be as mad as a fish but he had something of a point when he said that Scousers like to be seen as victims. The Sun may have printed a load of unpleasant crap about Hillsborough but they didn't kill anyone.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
How long ago was this?

looks like the blonde Boris was right about them being grudge bearing wingers who wallow in it.

I herd that it was Simon Heffer who wrote the article but boris carried the can as editor, SH is a tosser but he got it right I think.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
All papers bullshit.

funny how its mainly the NSC lefties who are bitching.

It was the sun what won it! hahahaha, bitter?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:
The Sun backs who it thinks it is going to win doesn't it ?

Thats what I beleive. But lefties tend to beleive we are products of our environment, hence their obssesion with the media so they HAVE to beleive it, even if I dont.:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
Sorry I mean...........
:angry: :angry: :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports