Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Stable Yard - New Member's Club in Worthing

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd be interested to know how much per month they expect to charge. David Lloyd is upwards of £100 depending on what membership you take and always appears busy. I know it's not the same thing but suspect there may be a crossover in potential client.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The similar type who lay out £40pp or whatever the price is for No 1 Lounge access at Gatwick thinking they’ve arrived at the top table only to realise within 10 minutes that standing up for two hours against a grotty breakfast bar quaffing granola and shit yoghurt trying desperately hard to get their monies worth when it would probably have been better in Witherspoons 😂😂

Sounds like you've made that mistake yourself?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I also didn't call them ordinary. You keep putting words in my mouth to suit your agenda.

One definition of notable is "remarkable" - and there might not be any remarkable restaurants in Worthing. I say "might not" because Tern is getting very, very good reviews locally - including from those on the Brighton food blogging scene, but I've not eaten there myself yet, so I can't judge. It will be interesting if any of the big-name reviewers come down to take a look.

But there are plenty of solid restaurants now but, other than Tern, not much in the realm of fine dining for those that want such a thing.

In terms of pubs and bars, there's simply no comparison to around eight years ago when I moved back to the town from Bristol - there's a wealth of great options now that just didn't exist then. The problem plotting an evening out now is deciding which pubs you'll have to miss out on, whereas eight years ago you'd struggle to find enough good options to fill an evening.

As I said way back - Worthing is no Brighton. Brighton is no London. There's no point in making a comparison. But it's improved significantly, and I think is still on an upward trajectory.
@Goldstone1976 ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd be interested to know how much per month they expect to charge. David Lloyd is upwards of £100 depending on what membership you take and always appears busy. I know it's not the same thing but suspect there may be a crossover in potential client.

Apparently Worthing David Lloyd is one of the best performing in the country in terms of spend per head / size

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Sounds like you've made that mistake yourself?
Not a chance, I got in for free once when flying business class to Charlotte when US Airways use to fly that route, awful experience akin to a buffet at a First Choice all inclusive breakfast buffet, I left within 10 minutes!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not a chance, I got in for free once when flying business class to Charlotte when US Airways use to fly that route, awful experience akin to a buffet at a First Choice all inclusive breakfast buffet, I left within 10 minutes!!

That was 15+ years ago !

I have priority pass with my Amex, the No.1 lounges are actually alright. Better than many airline ones these days

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
👍 I’m not sure Soho house in Brighton is hitting the management’s expectations or so I’ve been told😉
I dont really see the need/demand for exlusive members clubs like Soho House in Brighton. In London, there are a lot of very wealthy and/or known individuals who simply want to go about their life discretely...so I get it. Brighton and Worthing I dont. Maybe Soho house has changed its raisons d'être and become more about selling a life-style as opposed to servicing a it?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I dont really see the need/demand for exlusive members clubs like Soho House in Brighton. In London, there are a lot of very wealthy and/or known individuals who simply want to go about their life discretely...so I get it. Brighton and Worthing I dont. Maybe Soho house has changed its raisons d'être and become more about selling a life-style as opposed to servicing a it?
Correct 👍 and one wonders how long it will be until they realise this!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Rockwater isn’t a proper full members club though is it? I thought they merely had a small members bar/terrace but the rest is open to the public?

As an aside, back in the days of pubs closing at 11pm I was a member of a few Brighton bars which were basically late night drinking dens. There was one in a basement in Regency Square which was particularly crazy and had some interesting characters, the owner was an older gent who liked his sniff and would swing between being the perfect host and a psychopath. When I was taken along to join, the owner came outside in a “heightened” state, stood away from me and literally looked me up and down a few times, paused for a bit, and then said he liked me so I could join. I asked about membership card etc he just said he’d remember me. I have some stories from that place.

I used to love those late night drinking dens, mostly in basements.

Knock on Door
Hatch slides open 'Membership card?'
'Lost it'
'Membership number?'
Reel off any random 4 digit number confidently
Door opens

90% success rate :thumbsup:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Sounds a laugh . You are correct , Rockwater it’s not a proper members club anyone can book. There are some perks about membership but I can’t remember what they are . I’m not a member of Rockwater.

It is nice though .

I do agree , Worthing seems to have gone downhill . Lots of trouble in the evenings especially town centre.
Years ago Worthing used to be a fantastic night out. Old England off seafront, Cider Bar, Thieves Kitchen, Hill Barn.
Always used to end up in fights, generally around the taxi rank, which was always policed by giant coppers.
It’s the way of teenagers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agenda - get over yourself!
Having a discussion or is that discouraged?

Of course discussion is encouraged.

But you said you disagreed with me that there were notable restaurants in Worthing. I'd not said that.

You then implied I'd said all restaurants in Worthing were ordinary. I'd not said that either.

We get it - you don't like Worthing.

As I started initially, I'm certainly not making out Worthing is some hip and happening social and cultural hub. It's clearly not. But it has improved from where it was, and hopefully that continues.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to love those late night drinking dens, mostly in basements.

Knock on Door
Hatch slides open 'Membership card?'
'Lost it'
'Membership number?'
Reel off any random 4 digit number confidently
Door opens

90% success rate :thumbsup:
I knew some similar places in London as well, a regular place was a door on Old Compton Street in Soho which led to a staircase and a small room/bar at the top of a house full of 'nighttime' people. As an aside, I was in Soho late last year and the area has completely changed. It's lost a lot of it's original 'charm' and physically looks different due to all the building works and half of it seems to have been knocked down.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Worthing's alright-ish. Its my weapon of choice for all cinema excursions, being as you don't need to go into your overdraft to see a film at the Dome, I like it there. Thieves Kitchen is functional enough for some grog and pre-movie nosebag, and is only round the corner.

Probably my fave pub is the Hare and Hounds though. The pub grub there is excellent, nice choice, decent portions and freshly prepared. Don't think I've ever gone to Worthing for a restaurant though, doesn't seem like there's a lot going on.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Of course discussion is encouraged.

But you said you disagreed with me that there were notable restaurants in Worthing. I'd not said that.

You then implied I'd said all restaurants in Worthing were ordinary. I'd not said that either.

We get it - you don't like Worthing.

As I started initially, I'm certainly not making out Worthing is some hip and happening social and cultural hub. It's clearly not. But it has improved from where it was, and hopefully that continues.
And ‘we’ get it, you think it’s improved.

I don’t.

It’s not an agenda or anything ridiculous like that, I have lived in the area the vast majority of my life. I just don’t see what you’re describing.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Worthing's alright-ish. Its my weapon of choice for all cinema excursions, being as you don't need to go into your overdraft to see a film at the Dome, I like it there. Thieves Kitchen is functional enough for some grog and pre-movie nosebag, and is only round the corner.

Probably my fave pub is the Hare and Hounds though. The pub grub there is excellent, nice choice, decent portions and freshly prepared. Don't think I've ever gone to Worthing for a restaurant though, doesn't seem like there's a lot going on.
Worthing’s decent for a pint or lunch. Food choices for dinner are standard fair (some decent chains and a few good Indians and Italians but nothing you’d not get anywhere else)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Worthing’s decent for a pint or lunch. Food choices for dinner are standard fair (some decent chains and a few good Indians and Italians but nothing you’d not get anywhere else)
Agreed. I don't think we've ever thought "lets go somewhere in Worthing tonight for a meal out". But its ok for a mince around and a lunchtime scoff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here