Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Southdown & Eridge Hunt's traditional boxing day meet has been stymied

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Well the hunt (who im not a supporter of) paraded through Lewes today. The wheelbarrow racing in aid of local food charities didnt take place, cancelled last minute. Apparently it was more important to try and thwart the local hunt than support the local foodbanks. Some local people had turned up to see the spectacle and left disappointed, what pathetic, utter knobs the 'organisers of this event' are.

Last edited:
Reactions: abc

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What an odd post. You felt compelled to drop volunteering at a local food bank because you disagreed with the politics of someone appealing for more donations for the same foodbank. Sometimes it makes more sense to set aside strongly held political views and sentiments.
You mean other than the Tory government being the most to blame for the huge growth in foodbanks and peoples need to use them ? It's somewhat two faced ( and that's the polite description ) of a Tory politician to put their name and face to a foodbank campaign. I say that as someone that's worked at a foodbank and heard the absolutely devistating stories from the people having to use them - almost entirely caused by the DWP ( know as Dicks, Wankers and Pricks in the WS household ) and Tory policies.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Well the hunt (who im not a supporter of) paraded through Lewes today. The wheelbarrow racing in aid of local food charities didnt take place, cancelled last minute. Apparently it was more important to try and thwart the local hunt than support the local foodbanks. Some local people had turned up to see the spectacle and left disappointed, what pathetic, utter knobs the 'organisers of this event' are.
Or racing through a town after horses and dogs have cropped their way across it and made no attempt to tidy up after them was consider a health risk

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The annual Wheelbarrow race to support foodbanks is different from the wheelbarrow race the Action Against Foxhunting had applied to run today also - it was the annual charity race that was cancelled. (EDIT They might be the same event news stories refer to). You keep saying you don’t support the hunt but then post disparaging remarks about sabbers.

The Charity Wheelbarrow Run Foodbank Fundraiser was cancelled because of concerns over public safety. The organisers of the Wheelbarrow Run had received threats from the SDE hunting community saying they would disrupt the event and ride through the town anyway without the road closure they had applied for - so the police were informed. Organisers of the charity event wrote several letters to the SDE hunt asking them for assurance the event would not be disrupted and they got no response so in view of the threats, had to cancel it because they couldn’t guarantee public safety for their event.

It was the SDE hunt that ‘thwarted’ the Wheelbarrow Race and were the ‘knobs’ by making threats and insisting on riding through the town anyway.

You therefore have it the wrong way round - killing foxes with dogs is more important to hunters than supporting events for foodbanks.

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
IMG-20231226-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20231226-WA0015.jpg

Great turnout for the traditional Boxing Day meet of the Cheshire Hunt today in Tarporley. Took my daughter and she loved it. High Street and all cafes and pubs packed from one end to the other.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Never understand why people think it's 'toffs'. I know loads of working class people who either hunt (within the law) or support/follow.
I couldn't be any less toff if I tried, and here I am joining the Quorn Hunt on Boxing Day a few years back, whilst being your 'typical squaddie' (private soldier) Monday to Friday.
FB_IMG_1703608652477.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Never understand why people think it's 'toffs'. I know loads of working class people who either hunt (within the law) or support/follow.
I couldn't be any less toff if I tried, and here I am joining the Quorn Hunt on Boxing Day a few years back, whilst being your 'typical squaddie' (private soldier) Monday to Friday.
View attachment 171798
Agreed the Toff thing isn't correct BUT hunts DO still kill foxes so you only need to be a cvnt to go on one not a Toff.

Last edited:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
View attachment 171798
Reminds me of the old joke, 'What's got 4 legs and a (unt on its back ? '

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
View attachment 171798
Look at the cock on that horse…. :smile:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
The annual Wheelbarrow race to support foodbanks is different from the wheelbarrow race the Action Against Foxhunting had applied to run today also - it was the annual charity race that was cancelled. You keep saying you don’t support the hunt but then post disparaging remarks about sabbers.

The Annual Charity Wheelbarrow Run Foodbank Fundraiser was cancelled because of concerns over public safety. The organisers of the Wheelbarrow Run had received threats from the SDE hunting community saying they would disrupt the event and ride through the town anyway without the road closure they had applied for - so the police were informed. Organisers of the charity event wrote several letters to the SDE hunt asking them for assurance the event would not be disrupted and they got no response so in view of the threats, had to cancel it because they couldn’t guarantee public safety for their event.

It was the SDE hunt that ‘thwarted’ the Wheelbarrow Race and were the ‘knobs’ by making threats and insisting on riding through the town anyway.

You therefore have it the wrong way round - killing foxes with dogs is more important to hunters than supporting events for foodbanks.

I've lived in Lewes for 35+ years and don't know of tis annual wheelbarrow race' for foodbanks that you talk of. This event was organised by 'action against foxhunting' in my opinion to thwart the hunt. I haven't as you've said made disparaging remarks about the sabs, I have criticised the organisers of the wheelbarrow race. We shall have to differ on why they felt the need to cancel. All i know is that the one or two piles of horse crap could have been cleared up in 5 minutes. Respect to the 20 or so people protesting. The hunt supporters had mostly gone 5 minutes after the horses had charged off.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Is it really the hunt supporters that "are complete thickos or a complete bstds" . ?

The three contributions above sound like they come from intelligent people with considered opinions ?
Perhaps people are just angry at an inflammatory post of pictures by a poster that is enjoying his hunt meet - deliberately posted immediately after just a post saying a hunt meet had made threats to local Charity fundraisers to prevent money being raised for foodbanks.

Anyone that has seen a fox being shredded to death by a pack of dogs, screaming in unearthly agony for what seems like a fcuking eternity, would find far more ‘colourful language’ than ’cocks’ or ‘cvunts’ to describe those who condone a sport that continues to kill foxes like this - ’cocks‘ and ‘cvnts’ doesn’t begin to describe how I feel about these barbarians who get some kind of sick pleasure in watching animals being eviscerated by other animals 😡

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I've lived in Lewes for 35+ years and don't know of tis annual wheelbarrow race' for foodbanks that you talk of. This event was organised by 'action against foxhunting' in my opinion to thwart the hunt. I haven't as you've said made disparaging remarks about the sabs, I have criticised the organisers of the wheelbarrow race. We shall have to differ on why they felt the need to cancel. All i know is that the one or two piles of horse crap could have been cleared up in 5 minutes. Respect to the 20 or so people protesting. The hunt supporters had mostly gone 5 minutes after the horses had charged off.
We shall have to differ...except of course they have explained why. The hunt decided to start just before the wheelbarrow race, wouldn't clean up after themselves and tyere were threats toward the organisers and not even a reply as to whether they could offer a promise the event wouldn't be impacted.

Sounds like everybody ive ever met who has been involved in hunting. Either paid to be there, rich and wanting to stick one up the oiks or by nature a forelock tugger and wanting to be seen as mixing with the landed gentry.

The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Perhaps people are just angry at an inflammatory post of pictures by a poster that is enjoying his hunt meet - deliberately posted immediately after just a post saying they had made threats to local Charity fundraisers to prevent money being raised for foodbanks.

Anyone that has seen a fox being shredded to death by a pack of dogs, screaming in unearthly agony for what seems like a fcuking eternity, would find far more ‘colourful language’ than ’cocks’ or ‘cvunts’ who condone a sport that continues to kill foxes like this - ’cocks‘ and ‘cvnts’ doesn’t begin to describe how I feel about these barbarians who get some kind of sick pleasure in watching animals being eviscerated by other animals 😡
Hunts don't kill foxes any more and haven't done for donkeys years. They follow a pre-laid scent.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Hunts don't kill foxes any more and haven't done for donkeys years. They follow a pre-laid scent.
Until they 'stumble' across and fox and start chasing it and then killing it.

The laid scent does often just happen to find a route into an area where foxes are. Somehow, by chance of course

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
View attachment 171795View attachment 171795
Great turnout for the traditional Boxing Day meet of the Cheshire Hunt today in Tarporley. Took my daughter and she loved it. High Street and all cafes and pubs packed from one end to the other.
and I hope you explained to her that the purpose of the hunts is to derive pleasure from chasing and killing a fox by ripping it apart when its still alive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here