Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] The Self Isolater's Thread

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Stocked up on some reading matter with today's order of The Living Mountain by Nan Shepherd, Out of the Woods by Luke Turner and The Great Romantic: Cricket and the golden age of Neville Cardus by Duncan Hamilton. They should keep me suitably distracted for a while.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Stocked up on some reading matter with today's order of The Living Mountain by Nan Shepherd, Out of the Woods by Luke Turner and The Great Romantic: Cricket and the golden age of Neville Cardus by Duncan Hamilton. They should keep me suitably distracted for a while.

The wife has had a temperature for 2 days so 'I am going to have to think seriously about self isolation before Monday. (I have no symptoms)

..currently im on sick leave until Monday after a foot operation...to say I feel guilty about more time off for isolation is an understatement, but I'm also type 2 diabetic so I have to do whats best...

Work have said no one who isolates will be punished financially.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
With Animal Crossing releasing on Friday, then Persona 5 Royal on the 31st, then Final Fantasy 7 on 10th of April. Plus football manager got quite a few games to keep me going.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The wife has had a temperature for 2 days so 'I am going to have to think seriously about self isolation before Monday. (I have no symptoms)

..currently im on sick leave until Monday after a foot operation...to say I feel guilty about more time off for isolation is an understatement, but I'm also type 2 diabetic so I have to do whats best...

Work have said no one who isolates will be punished financially.

Best of luck with it all. I was due to have two weeks off (from tomorrow) but my gallbladder operation was cancelled yesterday, mixed feelings about that but wasn't surprised. I can work from home (well, about 80% of my part-time job anyway) so I'm hoping any enforced isolation period won't hit me financially, but who knows, things have been precarious at my site for some time. At least I'll have some additional time to write / play more music, expect something suitably apocalyptic to be released in the summer. Thinking about trying to learn French too.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Best of luck with it all. I was due to have two weeks off (from tomorrow) but my gallbladder operation was cancelled yesterday, mixed feelings about that but wasn't surprised. I can work from home (well, about 80% of my part-time job anyway) so I'm hoping any enforced isolation period won't hit me financially, but who knows, things have been precarious at my site for some time. At least I'll have some additional time to write / play more music, expect something suitably apocalyptic to be released in the summer. Thinking about trying to learn French too.

I’m one of those H and S inspector blokes so can’t do any work at home ( although I work from home)
Wife started temp and coughing late Monday , the temperature is back to normal now but still coughing a bit.
As I have been off post op leave, by the time I’m due back at work on Monday I would have already done 7 days self isolation...
I have shown absolutely no symptoms but I was ill over Christmas after returning from Poland with the classic
Symptoms so have I had it?
Who knows
It could well be just flu but wife and I have both been flu jabbed !!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I’m one of those H and S inspector blokes so can’t do any work at home ( although I work from home)
Wife started temp and coughing late Monday , the temperature is back to normal now but still coughing a bit.
As I have been off post op leave, by the time I’m due back at work on Monday I would have already done 7 days self isolation...
I have shown absolutely no symptoms but I was ill over Christmas after returning from Poland with the classic
Symptoms so have I had it?
Who knows
It could well be just flu but wife and I have both been flu jabbed !!

Aye, impossible to know if not tested, had a similar thing started early Feb and still not fully over it.
I'm a part-time H&S and facilities manager for my site, hence the approx 20% I can't do remotely. Do you work for the HSE or private contractor, if you don't mind me asking?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lots of decent, free audiobooks on YouTube. Catch up on your classic as you’re pottering around !

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
B & Q is full of OAP's ffs never seen it so busy

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I wfh normally so my isolation has actually decreased, as my missus is now wfh part of the time too. Youngest's Uni course has now gone online, so I'm scheduled to drive to Manchester and back Saturday to get him. Just hoping they don't impose 'lockdown' before then. I'm on standby to just jump in the car if needs be.

We are fortunate in having good size house and big garden, with no excuse now not to step up the veg growing. Ventured to Kingston Garden Centre yesterday for seeds, compost, plants and will spend Sunday digging beds and potting seeds. Cabbage, Brocolli, Toms, Aubergines, Raspberries, Broad Beans, Rubarb, Spinach all on future menu.

Normally play Table Tennis (old man's sport) on a Thursday with up to a dozen or so mates, followed by a trip to the pub. We have set up an FB group with plans for a virtual video pub visit to chat and have a glass or two. No idea if it will work but I'm finding myself looking forward to it more than I should!

Main impact for me is not being able to visit elderly relatives, especially 90yo uncle who still lives independently. But they're all being looked out for by neighbours, friends.

PG

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It did look like planks of wood, I guess to batten down the hatches!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

To barricade themselves inside their homes and when the ' do-gooders ' come round and shout....' Arthur....Elsie....are you ok, anything you need ' ....shout back...' Yes...just f--k off and stay away '

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I wfh normally so my isolation has actually decreased, as my missus is now wfh part of the time too. Youngest's Uni course has now gone online, so I'm scheduled to drive to Manchester and back Saturday to get him. Just hoping they don't impose 'lockdown' before then. I'm on standby to just jump in the car if needs be.

We are fortunate in having good size house and big garden, with no excuse now not to step up the veg growing. Ventured to Kingston Garden Centre yesterday for seeds, compost, plants and will spend Sunday digging beds and potting seeds. Cabbage, Brocolli, Toms, Aubergines, Raspberries, Broad Beans, Rubarb, Spinach all on future menu.

Normally play Table Tennis (old man's sport) on a Thursday with up to a dozen or so mates, followed by a trip to the pub. We have set up an FB group with plans for a virtual video pub visit to chat and have a glass or two. No idea if it will work but I'm finding myself looking forward to it more than I should!

Main impact for me is not being able to visit elderly relatives, especially 90yo uncle who still lives independently. But they're all being looked out for by neighbours, friends.

PG

Sounds like you've got it covered, nice one. Worried too about my 90 year old dad and 80 year old mum, was horrible not being able to give him a hug on his birthday Tuesday.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I fear a lot of people fall into one of two camps:

- fatalists: if I get it, I get it, what can you do? Old people especially.
- I'm happy to get it sooner rather than later, get it over with then I can get on with my life (including helping others etc.) Younger people especially.

Each of these is perfectly understandable at the individual level. The problem is that both are likely to accelerate the pace of the virus and lead to NHS crisis, shortage of ventilators and, ultimately, doctors having to decide who lives and who dies. No-one wants that, but not everyone has thought through the full implications of not self-isolating. It might be inconvenient (for many, costly too) but it's really essential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here