Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I had a call regarding some issue regarding some insulation lagging I had recently installed in my attic, and that I shouldn't worry as they will be around to sort it out. The only problem is that I haven't got an attic.

Anyway that's another one for the list.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I had a call regarding some issue regarding some insulation lagging I had recently installed in my attic, and that I shouldn't worry as they will be around to sort it out. The only problem is that I haven't got an attic.

Anyway that's another one for the list.
Good idea to bounce this thread and keep it going - it is good to keep us all informed and aware. I started another thread about the TV Licencing scam (see post#1) but some pr*ts tried to derail it by linking it to Brexit.
:shrug:

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Facebook accounts are being hacked , telling the acc holders friends that they appear in a video ,,,inviting a click to "view", or more likely infect your PC ...

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
My wife got an email today informing her she was due a Council Tax rebate and to click on the link to arrange repayment.

A quick look at the address bar of the sender, which is always a giveaway, (sometimes you need to click on it to reveal all of it) revealed it as coming from a hotmail.co.uk address.

This in itself I found surprising as I don't think you can get hotmail.co.uk email addresses anymore as I think they're all hotmail.com now. This suggests it is an old email address which they have managed to get away with using for some considerable time without being stopped, which is a bit concerning.

ferris_ferrit

Feb 1, 2011
I was scammed recently by a tech website that looked absolutely legit and showed no red flags to me. The Web address was a single letter out from the genuine site, it was pluralised, so when googled everything seemed fine and I went ahead with my purchase. Even had a live online chat with a representative and received a transcript via email so was convinced it was fine. After the delivery date passed and nothing received I went back to the website, which was now inaccessible. Guessing I got the address wrong I googled again, went to the legit site, put my order number in and boom the legit site tells me I've been scammed by the fake one.

Managed to get my, rather large, amount of money back from the bank and raised with Action Fraud so I haven't lost out but my confidence in online shopping is now at zero.

The legit website I should have used was Electronic Centre, do not go on the pluralised version.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Top Tip : I never answer my mobile to an unknown number, if a call is important they WILL leave a message, scammers just move on.

Me too. But yesterday they did leave a message although I think it was probably an automated message.

Basically telling me I was subject to a HMRC fraud investigation and needed to call back ASAP.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The Amazon call seems to be still active. Automated call saying they are going to take £79 out of your bank account unless you call this number.
Might be worth telling elderly relatives about this.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Me too. But yesterday they did leave a message although I think it was probably an automated message.

Basically telling me I was subject to a HMRC fraud investigation and needed to call back ASAP.

Wow ! that's new.

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
And so it begins!
Just to let you know these phone calls are going round.
‘Good morning, I'm calling from the NHS track and trace service. According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test.'
'OK. Can you tell me who that person was?'
'I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information.'
'Right. Um... so ....'
'But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So can I just get the best mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?'
'Ok (gives address)'
'Thank you - and I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalize this and send the kit to you.'
'Sorry - a payment card? I thought this was all free?'
'No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of £50 for the kit and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready.'
'No - that's not right. This is part of the NHS so there's no charge.'
'I'm afraid there is. Can you give me the card number please - this is very important, and there are penalties for not complying.'
Puts the phone down.
This is how scammers work. And vulnerable people will fall for it.”
Don't fall for it...
Be aware.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I got a lovely email from a Mr Warren Buffett today.

I’m proud to announce that I’ve been given $2,7m! I’ve looked up the term ‘philanthropist’ and it all looks legit!

So, looks like I’ll be moving up in life and quaffing Champers with the likes of HB&B in the Mayo-Wynne bar and leaving the Harvey’s supping losers in the West Upper far behind!

What a lucky guy I am!

“Hi

My name is Warren Buffett. I'm a philanthropist from American. I have sign
a gift donation payment of $2.700,000.00 Million in your name through the
help of CEO/Managing Director of Pnc Bank Florida Head Office for this
year pandemic crisis as believe success should be used to help each
other.so I know your email address is valid.contact email;
wb769644@gmail.com

Kindly Email me back and I will get back to you with full details about
your donation payment of $2.700,000.00 Million sign today.

Regards,
Mr. Warren Buffett.”

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I’m proud to announce that I’ve been given $2,7m! I’ve looked up the term ‘philanthropist’ and it all looks legit!

So, looks like I’ll be moving up in life and quaffing Champers with the likes of HB&B in the Mayo-Wynne bar and leaving the Harvey’s supping losers in the West Upper far behind!

What a lucky guy I am!

“Hi

wb769644@gmail.com

Regards,
Mr. Warren Buffett.”

Next time just give him this link:

https://www.paypal.me/lerkot

My morning electronic voice from "Amazon" is becoming so regular that I miss receiving it if they don't call. As my job involves me receiving perfectly legitimate "unknown" callers I always pick up.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
This guy is value for money. He takes the scammers commitment to new levels and on occasions has convinced them to get tattoos bearing only fools characters as a sign that their email is genuine

https://www.419eater.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

What a lucky guy I am!

“Hi

wb769644@gmail.com

Regards,
Mr. Warren Buffett.”

You got your maths wrong. You have got 2.7 million million. That will buy you 3 toilet rolls and two jigsaws. Enjoy!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I remember people had random Amazon deliveries turning up - I saw an article this weekend about it. Basically it’s a fraud for people to set up on Amazon as sellers, show some successful deliveries to get full accounts and then start scamming people

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
This guy is value for money. He takes the scammers commitment to new levels and on occasions has convinced them to get tattoos bearing only fools characters as a sign that their email is genuine

https://www.419eater.com

I used to be very active on there about 10 years ago. Got some "lads" to do some very silly stuff (including shaving then painting their heads)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a lucky guy I am!

“Hi

wb769644@gmail.com

Regards,
Mr. Warren Buffett.”

Reply (from a throwaway/untraceable email) saying you want more, if he refuses, up the demand and repeat until he agrees. When he agrees, you have him and can start to bait him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here