Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam.
Two very fit 18 or 19-year-old girls came over to my car as I was packing my shopping into the boot.They both start wiping your windshield with a Cloth and soapy water, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts.
When I thanked them and offered them a tip, they said "No" and instead asked me for a lift to another supermarket.
I agreed and they get in the back seat. On the way, they start having sex with each other. Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and performed oral sex on me, while the other one steals your wallet.

I’ve had my wallet stolen six times already this month.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My Mum has at last started taking it seriously, I have told her to open the door to no one....when I went to cut her grass today I knocked the door she shouted...'who is it' I said me...your son...Prove it she said!!!!

there have been reports in this area of scammers on OAP doorsteps......what sort of low lifes do we have on this earth?

The sort that need very long prison sentences without remission, and to bump into a few doors on arrest.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps we could have a thread to inform each other what Scams are doing the rounds.
This morning I had a very realistic E mail from the TV Licence office saying they were having trouble with my direct debits and could I update details.
Simple rule - no matter what company asks you to update your details, you do not do so via a link in the email. You google the company in question, click on them, and update details that way.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Spotify.

Email headlined We're sorry to see you go followed by explanation that they couldn't take payment. They use genuine Spotify wording and conclude with an Update Details Now button.

It's not genuine.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Few going around on LinkedIn purporting to be contacts wanting to do business by sharing a ‘project’ document that is stored on OneDrive, once you log in to view the doc they have your password.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Facebook games which demand access to all your data on sign-up.

Cambridge Analytica 2. Influencing and nudging your thoughts and free will.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not really related to the virus but worth pointing out anyway.

My Mrs bought me an Amazon Fire Stick to put on the telly in the bedroom (we already have one in the lounge). Being the resourceful soul that she is she bought one BNIB off ebay and saved herself a fiver. Thing turns up and I plugged it in but it tries to update on first load and wasn't having it. Rung up Amazon they told us it was reported faulty and therefore didn't need to be returned to them before a refund was issued and was now blocked from use.

She should hopefully get the money back from ebay but what a tidy little scam.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Hoorah, got this today

bt.JPG

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Text on my mobile from a company called www.entz.ltd with a link (didn't click on it). Quick search shows it's some gambling site. Never been there or know of them so no idea how they got my mobile number.

Facebook games which demand access to all your data on sign-up.

Cambridge Analytica 2. Influencing and nudging your thoughts and free will.
Funny enough, I've just got an ad for a Facebook game after reading this. [emoji848]

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
A text allegedly from 02 saying there's a problem with your bill download link to update details, sadly for these fkwits their mobile number was linked to the text absolute scum.

I'm almost certain some people would have clicked the link and been caught out, boils my piss so it does.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We received an email from ‘Netflix’ today, informing us as follows:

“Hi @icloud.com,

We're having some trouble with your current billing information. Would you like to retry running your card again?“

All very plausible looking, using the Netflix logo, the true fonts and a footer about communication preferences.

I knew this was an attempted fraud as our Netflix account is registered with another email address. Also, looking online, the real Netflix wouldn’t start with a Hi then email address.

Keep vigilant!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Had an email today purporting to be from eBay containing a message from an 'eBay Member' who was saying "Hi - I made an offer on your item. Please accept and I'll pay immediately."

I knew it was a scam, so I took the link to another browser - and it asks you to sign into eBay to see the offer.

Once you sign in, they can hack your account and start selling fake items at rock bottom prices to prey on the greedy and feckless....

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Had an automated call on Monday to my mobile telling me that I owe the inland revenue a substantial amount of money and if I don’t press option 1 immediately I will be arrested very soon [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Jul 7, 2003
I took a call the other day regarding loft insulation. Caller says that you had your loft insultation replaced a few years ago under the government scheme and that the insulation used can cause condensation. This is all quite believable but they are trying to get into people's houses, do an 'assessment' and then charge you to replace perfectly good insulation.

They are specifically asking if you are a pensioner so obviously trying to find those who are more susceptible to these sort of things.

Quick look online and they are appear to be working their way around the country - they were targeting East Anglia before the lockdown. As soon as I started to challenge the guy to tell me who did my installation as he said he was working from a government list, he kept trying to ignore my question.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I took a call the other day regarding loft insulation. Caller says that you had your loft insultation replaced a few years ago under the government scheme and that the insulation used can cause condensation. This is all quite believable but they are trying to get into people's houses, do an 'assessment' and then charge you to replace perfectly good insulation.

They are specifically asking if you are a pensioner so obviously trying to find those who are more susceptible to these sort of things.

Quick look online and they are appear to be working their way around the country - they were targeting East Anglia before the lockdown. As soon as I started to challenge the guy to tell me who did my installation as he said he was working from a government list, he kept trying to ignore my question.

We had this the other day, call came through as a local 01895.......
Before they got to ask any questions, twice I queried what address they had in front of them.
He eventually replied he'd have to ask his manager, to which I put the phone down and blocked the number :tosser:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Top Tip : I never answer my mobile to an unknown number, if a call is important they WILL leave a message, scammers just move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here