The Sam Baldock 'Saga'

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm sure it has always gone on in football - but now seems more common for players to engineer a move by not giving their best for the current employer. This week Buckley admitted that he let it affect his game. I think there was an earlier post suggesting that since the transfer interest Baldock's demeanour on the pitch had appeared questionable, in a Buckley-esque below par fashion?

It is interesting to contrast how players react to other Clubs showing interest in them. I would suggest that Ulloa and Elliott Bennett both acted professionally, with dignity and respect towards the Albion and did not conspicuously agitate for a transfer. They were allowed to move on after giving their best for the Albion.

However Bridcutt and Buckley both allowed the interest to affect their form - with hindsight they were unprofessional in not giving 100% for the Albion. I think many observers would suspect Poyet had whispered in their ear when he departed and they allowed this to dent their enthusiasm, especially when the Albion did not immediately roll over. Maybe the players agents also had a hand in this. I suspected that Poyet might have tried it on with Ulloa too but clearly that did not come to anything.

Th other more obvious possibility is the Baldock demeanour on the pitch is because he not actually very good at all.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't think I detected any lack of effort or professionalism by Buckley or Buckley. With Bridcutt, he played as well as usual against Huddersfield in the last home game before he left. Buckley pulled up in both the Hull and Derby games after starting much better than normal.

I could understand a reluctance to go for 50/50 balls and a downside on morale to the rest of the team.

PS: I hope Baldock plays for Bristol City today, or doesn't and goes elsewhere.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I don't think I detected any lack of effort or professionalism by Buckley or Buckley.

I'd seriously like to know what goes on in that head of yours?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I don't think I detected any lack of effort or professionalism by Buckley or Buckley. With Bridcutt, he played as well as usual against Huddersfield in the last home game before he left. Buckley pulled up in both the Hull and Derby games after starting much better than normal.

I could understand a reluctance to go for 50/50 balls and a downside on morale to the rest of the team.

I know you're sorry to see Buckley go and he was a favourite of yours but if you didn't notice a lack of effort from him last season then you simply weren't watching. He's pretty much admitted to it himself.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If I was Bristol City I would hold on to him and convince that promotion with them would be better than moving to a new place and hoping that it works out. I don't hold out a lot of hope for securing Baldock.

his contract expires in Aug 2015.

BC need to decide whether to offer him a new deal now, keep him and then risk him walking for free or to sell him and get the cash.

My hunch is the latter, i doubt he'll sign today a new deal for a league 1 club with interest from the championship, and I doubt for all Cotterills 'giving it the large' City's money people will risk losing a couple of million in the vague hope of promotion.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
his contract expires in Aug 2015.

BC need to decide whether to offer him a new deal now, keep him and then risk him walking for free or to sell him and get the cash.

My hunch is the latter, i doubt he'll sign today a new deal for a league 1 club with interest from the championship, and I doubt for all Cotterills 'giving it the large' City's money people will risk losing a couple of million in the vague hope of promotion.

Is he on the transfer list or not ?

My view is if he was offered a new deal he would ask to go on the transfer list.

I think he has to be sold and BC are just eeking this out.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He maybe sold,but they ain't getting anywhere near £3 million,bloody agard went for £1 million and scored 26 odd goals.

£1.7 million plus add on's max

Otherwise the west country tits can fack off

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Baldock in the team. His direct running caused Rochdale trouble and he nearly provided an assist as well.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Some Bristol fans are deluded. £800k tops I say.

SC alluded to the thought that another club that isn't Brighton is preparing an offer!

My instinct is that that Blackburn could be the club simply because the pieces fit!

I don't see that Blackburn would cock around knowing Brighton are sniffing, but if I were Sam you got to be thinking Blackburn are a good club and Brighton seem to want to shop at bargain basement prices.

3m or figure rising to that would get the man I'm sure! (Not forgetting 25% sell on)

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I've just played against Bristol City on FIFA. Baldock was playing and looked very ordinary against my well managed Plymouth Argyle side.
I think we should give him a miss!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports